• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
Patterson said:
I finally got time to read the GBMB and I feel so lucky to have friends and family that are so caring. Mama Sis is hopefully getting the help she needs and will be at Graytona Lodge for the "event." She is a strong woman and cannot stand to be left out of any fun, especially such a joyous occasion.
The whole family, most of Grayton, Seaside and surrounding areas are so excited and happy for Jennifer and Balder. Can't wait for Saturday!
Following is a high school report my youngest wrote about Mama Sis. Just had to share. :love:
Roots

My Maternal Grandmother-
Selina Patterson Pinkston

?Mama-Sis?

By: Jancy Steele

My grandmother was born as Selina Patterson on May 28, 1921 in Zebulon, Georgia. She was born into the family of D.S. Patterson and Elender Childers Patterson. My grandmother?s father was a North Georgia Methodist preacher, and her mother was a stay at home mom. She had a twin brother, Pierce, older sisters Daisy, Beatrice and Grace, and older brother Milton. For the first year of her life she lived in Zebulon with her whole family, where she then, moved to LaGrange, GA. After a year and a half she moved to Winterville, GA and moved 8 more times before she graduated from Toccoa High School.

Mama Sis attended Piedmont College for two years in Demorest, Ga. While attending Piedmont she met her husband of 59 years, Ewell Brown Pinkston (Daddy Brown). She went on to teach school for two years and soon after they were married on July 6, 1944. The early years of their marriage they moved many times, because my grandfather was a Marine pilot, and aircraft salesman.

After two years of a happy marriage my grandmother had her first daughter. In September of 1946, Rita Gail Pinkston was born to Brown and Selina in Canton, Ga. ?It is a wonderful feeling when you have carried that baby for nine months, most wonderful feeling in the world,? she said. Her second child, E.B. junior ?Buddy? was born in February of 1948 in Valdosta, Ga. Five years later in January of 1953 they had their third child, Sue Patterson Pinkston, in Gainesville, Ga. Their last daughter and my mother, Rebecca Ann Pinkston, was born on April 9, 1954, in Cherry Point, NC. Three years later the baby, Douglas Alan, was born to the large family of 7 in October of 1957, in Pensacola, Fl. Throughout their lives the children always remember having many people staying with them, including their grandmother who lived with them for 12 years. My grandmother said it was very traumatic when her children left home. She was then bored around the house and had no where to go, and no one to help.

After her children were out of the house, in college, married and having children of their own Mama Sis and Daddy Brown lived in a variety of places. For a few years they lived in Washington, D.C., Peachtree City, Ga., and they currently live in Santa Rosa Beach, Fl. Mama Sis has always been active in choir and piano at her home church. She is still very healthy and active. She volunteers many Wednesdays and Saturdays at a local thrift store, ?Caring and Sharing.?

Mama Sis has always been so willing to help anyone who needs it. I always remember her being right there for my mother in times of need. Whenever you need a hug, or a hand to hold, or someone to sing you to sleep, she would be there. A couple of my fondest memories of her are her trying to teach me to play the piano, and her always letting me beat her at cards, making me believe I was good. She can make anyone smile no matter what kind of day you are having, and doesn?t even know how she does it. If I had to pick one person my grandmother reminds the most of it would be Lucille Ball from I Love Lucy. She is crazy, spunky, funny, beautiful, full of laughter, and always wanting to share.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
steeleing4 said:
Mother this could be very embarassing, but i guess i wont let it be! I wrote this many years ago, just to let you know! ;-)

I enjoyed reading it. It is very sweet. Your grandmother sounds like a person that anyone would love to be around!!!! I am sending good wishes her way!

inlovewithGB

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
This short essay doesnt even brush the corners of the person she truly is. I wrote this probably as a freshman in high school. I hope you all know that she is one of the most wonderful people to probably ever walk this earth, she is the queen of all our hearts and her presence here is what makes so many things worthwhile!! Thanks more than i can say for the prayers!

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
This whole wedding thread has been wonderful. You know, a lot of families go beserk when a wedding is approaching. They get all testy and flustered and the brides turn into "bridezillas" and starting howling at their mothers and sisters and caterers. :eek:

Not here! It's so nice to see all the love and fun you all share. This is going to be a fabulous wedding, and even more importantly, a fabulous marriage! You can just tell. :love:

graytonrbust

Beach Lover
Nov 15, 2004
Wellington, AL
Congradulations !

I wish you MANY years of happiness together!
11_3_2.gif

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri
Steele Mama, that was wonderful...I loved reading it!!!!! your very lucky to have such a warm and loving family!!! :love:

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
Update: picking up the Father of the Bride at ATL airport at 4:30 and heading to SoWal. Tomorrow is shopping with the bride and readying the lodge. Can't wait to get there! Communication will be limited but will send pictures as soon as possible. Thank you for all of your good wishes. Hope to meet everyone one day. :love: