• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
CastlesOfSand said:
That's a tough one!!! Just being on 30-A makes me happy! But.... sitting on Seagrove beach with a cold beverage, watching the waves and listening to them crash was pure heaven! Oh, and toes in the squeaky white sand!! :cool: We enjoyed hunting for shells too! We found some nice ones! This trip we were total beach bums!!

Glad you had a good time...lucky you ...you get to go back soon. I am so looking forward to being a beach bum. 12 more days until I can sink my toes in the sand. :D

Tina

Yes, even if it's cold and/or rainy, we just enjoy being in our third floor sitting room, enjoying the view of the Gulf, watching sunsets, cooking fresh seafood, etc. Even during bad weather, it's a great time to get some work done in a relaxed manner. We absolutely adore the 30-A area! We've traveled the world, and there's nothing to compare to it. Yes, there may be more luxurious beaches (Monte Carlo, Maui, Barcelona, the Italian Riviera, etc.), but the 30-A area is such a relaxing place to be, close to home.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks for the mental image of sitting on the beach, making the sand squeak with your toes and watching the waves...that's the memory I always try to imprint on my mind that last day! I love hearing how everyone visiting falls under the spell of this place!

My husband and son will be going down for a few days in August and I will stay home with the new pup, Molly. Don't cry for me SoWal lovers....I just reserved our place for the entire month of October!!! Another pup will be introduced to the place we all know as paradise! That's enough to keep me going!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Alright AMYLOU- we returned home to the 'Ville today (and yes we are bummed to be home). We have NEVER seen the water as beautiful as it was last week in Grayton. Crystal clear, the perfect aqua, awesome sandbars, lots of sea life to see...best week we have ever had. If you have room in your vehicle I could be persuaded to go back down! I tried to write everything in our rental's guestbook, but there was too much fun to get it all. So if the owner of Blue Crab reads this- we had an awesome week and your house was perfect for our crew. We stayed on the beach pretty much the entire week and did not venture much further than Red Bar and Bud & Alley's. I think we drove the car twice since we brought our bikes and rented a kayak. There was really no reason to do anything else but enjoy that beautiful place!

I keep repeating- 2 WEEKS next year, 2 WEEKS next year.

At least we have graytonbeach.com to keep us sane until the next visit- thanks Kurt!

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
jdarg,

What kind of sea life did you see? Any sea turtles? It is amazing how you can stand chest deep in the water and still see your feet! I never really liked getting into the ocean until I came to the beaches in soWal. I like to know what I'm swimming with. :)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We saw rays (big and small, spotted eagle ray and southern stingray), crabs (blue and hermit), hilarious pelicans, both the "bad" jellyfish and the "good" jellyfish, dolphin, sanddollars, a few friendly Labs (yellow and chocolate), little white fish that nibble your feet, tiny velvety-textured black fish (anyone know what they are?), lots of fish big and small, many jumping around or in huge schools, a gigantic Hercules beetle, but sorry, no turtles.

The most interesting critter find was the Eastern Glass Lizard (looks like snake, but stumpy). It was hanging outside of the Red Bar. I hope we didn't relocate the local "lounge lizard" by mistake. He is now living on Garfield St. behind the Blue Crab house.

Oh- and we found the weirdest little critter around the sandbars- possibly brittle starfish, but the picture we found does not match exactly. The main body was a small disk about the size of a pinky fingernail. Five stringy spaghetti-like legs came off the body. The legs were somewhat inflexible. The whole thing was bone white. We found them several days in a row.

Rent a kayak and you will have lots of cool things swim under you!

I know not everyone will agree with me, but it was nice seeing a few dogs romping in the surf and barking at the waves. Our kids found out where the yellow lab was living and took him home when he got tired. And I always visit the dog wall to see who survived another year.

CajunGal

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2005
I just got back...it was wonderful. Few crowds, lovely beaches.

The sand dunes are gone & there will be major rebuilding of them...but the water was perfect, weather wonderful...my family did NOT want to leave this morning. We will return next summer!

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Oh- and we found the weirdest little critter around the sandbars- possibly brittle starfish, but the picture we found does not match exactly. The main body was a small disk about the size of a pinky fingernail. Five stringy spaghetti-like legs came off the body. The legs were somewhat inflexible. The whole thing was bone white. We found them several days in a row.

Cool!! We love to explore and experience nature too! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
jdarg said:

I am glad you mentioned this! We're thinking about renting one for our trip later this month. How far out did you go? Did the kids go too, and were they okay with sea stuff swimming around under you? Did the kayak seem stable in the waves? Did you keep the kayak for the whole trip, or just rent one for a day? Got any pictures to share? Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing it with us! :clap_1:

martin

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2005
OK - You guys are making us happy we didn't cancel. We will be there Sat.
Does anyone know how the Eastern Lake inlet has ended up.
Last picture I saw it was up around the boardwalk? Has it made back to normal? And how is that boardwalk coming off Cottage St and the Red Bar area? Thanks for all your help I've been watching the site, extremly helpful.