• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Oh, that was back when I had a different name. :rotfl:;-)

OOPS! I thought I was in all three of the InCircle cookbooks, but Beach Jacket just reminded me that I wasn't in Pigtails and Froglegs.:blush:

I looked under Beach Runner and your real name. :wave:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Another quick thought. I don't remember who but a group composed a cookbook from my home town years ago and on each page are pictures of historical homes..blah blah blah. I think it would be cool to have pictures of our favorite area in the cookbook...Western Lake, Seagrove Villas for Miz Darlene, etc...I think peeps would want to purchase for the recipes as well as the sowal pics... random thought!:wave:

You are totally right. I have my Seaside cookbook that I bought over 10 years ago and I like using the recipes BUT I love looking at the photos! (especially the one of the Natchez pavilion that is no more)

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Love this idea too, Franny! Now, I wonder where we could get some pics???:scratch:

Yes that could be a problem...;-)

What a fantastic idea! I'm so busy right now (I just started getting back slowly on SoWal.com...) I may not have time to think about this much at all for a few weeks, but life should slow down in 2-3 weeks and I'll have ideas/recipes/stories then (how about my families 4th generation ravioli recipe?).

Paula, we love your creative juices!! Yum on the ravioli!:love:

This is a fabulous idea!!!! ----will start compiling and thinking of a name. Although, I like Miss Kitty's idea of "What's Cookin' in SoWal"

What a grayt name!!:lolabove:

You are totally right. I have my Seaside cookbook that I bought over 10 years ago and I like using the recipes BUT I love looking at the photos! (especially the one of the Natchez pavilion that is no more)

Me too! Especially certain landmarks that may be gone in the near future..Seaside Post office, especially decorated for Christmas, Seagrove Villas and Seagrove Village Market...I want photos of these for the house.:love:

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
SoWal Wenches in the Kitchen :rotfl:(Can't really remember how you spell wench/winch? I think wench. What is a wench? Crazy woman on sowal? Refer to sowal dictionary.)

I saw a cook book at Sun Dog that was Skinny B _ _ _ _ in the kitchen.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I'm hosting bunco tomorrow night,who has a very easy but good guacamole dip?? I doing taco type stuff.

Mash up a couple of avocados, and add a fresh salsa (like Chachi's from Publix) and a little minced garlic. Tada! Faux guacamole, and it's really pretty good.

I?ve been doing a lot of research about the proposed SoWal cookbook, timely since our Junior League is rolling out a new cookbook this weekend.

A cookbook in which everyone submits his/her favorite recipes, bound together in some manner, would be a really nice resource for SoWallers. This would work.

However, a coffee-table quality cookbook could be produced that could be a big seller to visitors as well as property-owners in SoWal. Imagine them stacked up along with the other souvenir, coffee-table books at Sundogs.

Therefore, in my opinion, first there needs to be a vision for the cookbook. We need a steering committee to propose some alternative visions. If one believes in a democracy, I think that the SoWal Nation needs to be polled and that the steering committee needs to determine the vision based upon this poll.

If the SoWal Nation decides to go for simple, we can just have funn and bind together a collection of SoWaller?s favorites.

If the decision is to go for a high-quality cookbook, funding will be needed. To get funding the steering committee would need to sell the vision along with a theme to accompany it. The steering committee would also need to decide the target audience. For example, one theme might be ?Beach Food,? that is, ideas for food you might cook at the beach, plus a section of recipes from restaurants from the area. The target audience would be all visitors to SoWal, plus property owners.

Once this is done, the vision would need to be sold in order to get funding. So there would need to be a development chairperson on the steering committee.

While the development committee gets an idea of how much funding is possible, a publisher can be chosen. It takes one-to-two years to get a high-quality cookbook off the ground. Publishers have workbooks to help cookbook committees finalize their themes, decide upon artwork, fonts, colors, etc. So there will also need to be an artistic chairperson to help with that and coordinate entries for the cover.

A form for recipe submissions will have to be decided upon with rules for submission. If this is going to be a high-quality cookbook, there probably should be some taste-testing, and thus someone to chair the taste-testing.

We'll also need a chef-type or uber-foodie to be the culinary chair to sort out the quality of the recipes.

A tedious part is editing the recipes. Cookbook publishers want all style stripped from content and want their own tags inserted for formatting. There will need to be an editor chairperson to take care of these details.

This is just the beginning. There will need to be a marketing chairperson and a sales chairperson once we?re into the process.

It can be funn both ways ? we can do a cookbook just for SoWallers, or we could do something really big. I personally am cool with either option. But if we want to do something really big, I am sure that collectively we have the expertise to make it a success.

Comments?