• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I was thinking of something like the Junior League cookbooks (River Road Recipes, etc) with a specific charity in mind. You know, they are bound in shiny cardstock and spiral bound. I think that format would sell well in the local shops, and you can still add art - I have a lovely one from Breaux Bridge, I think, with Blue Dog art throughout.

Is that what you are doing for your current Junior League project?

I was thinking of something like the Junior League cookbooks (River Road Recipes, etc) with a specific charity in mind. You know, they are bound in shiny cardstock and spiral bound. I think that format would sell well in the local shops, and you can still add art - I have a lovely one from Breaux Bridge, I think, with Blue Dog art throughout.

Is that what you are doing for your current Junior League project?
We donate our proceeds to programs that benefit children. We have major grants and minigrants where organizations apply for funds from the league. A committee recommends which ones are worthy, and then the entire league votes.

I agree that if we go with a moneymaker for the SoWal cookbook, the proceeds should go to charity. It would take another chairperson to head a subcommittee that decides how the profits are distributed.

BTW I also like the idea of photos of the 30A area, as well as essays about why we love SoWal, included in the cookbook. Some cookbooks use these as chapter headers; others intersperse them throughout the cookbook.

Last edited:

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss
I think we need to add stories, I love those kind of cookbooks!Pictures are a given also!
I think Miss Kitty should head up testing the recipes :wave:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
I am all for either cook book. Just let me know what needs to be done. :wave:

Yes, I think a charity is a must for profits.

Artwork/photos yes...

stories, yes!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
We really want to hear what everyone thinks. :D

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Love the artwork, photo and story idea. I would like a cookbook small enough in size to store on my shelves with my other cookbooks.

Something similar to what Junior Leagues do with either the plastic comb binding or not. If you go with a hardback or non comb binding your publication costs are really going to rise.

I saw some really attractive ones from the junior league.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0960236406/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link"]
51msAdXS02L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg
[/ame] [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0963242105/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books"]
51HqQetfMkL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
[/ame]

Spiral comb and a hardcover version.

Last edited:
Our first cookbook was spiral comb; the group decided to go hardback for the new one so that it looked less small town. I can email the woman at Wimmer who worked with the committee to find out how much more the hardback costs per book. I'm a sustaining member now, so I wasn't involved in this newest cookbook other than submitting recipes.

Our first cookbook was successful beyond our wildest dreams, with many printings. I think that's part of why the committee decided to get fancy with the second one.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
But, BR, we ARE small-town. That's why this is such a cool idea!

Plus, if it is hardbound and smaller than the typical Southern Living Cookbook, there is no way it would lay open flat, and that would make preparing recipes from it more difficult (at least for me).

I vote for spiral or comb-bound :wave: