• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Teresa, what "services are lacking" are you referring to?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I really don't want to debate the level of service we have v. what we don't have. It is what it is - and I've kind of adjusted to County level govt services after all these years (limited to say the least - which is why I've always been impressed with our SWFD - it's truly an exceptional service to have here that many don't realize). I realize incorporation of our community into a city is going to be a hard battle to win. But, I do believe in our town and I believe it deserves the very best future possible.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
And I, by the same token, having a BA in governmental services and an MA in Urban Affairs, am not at all sure incorporation will be an answer for South Walton. I am far more prone to think we will find more problems than solutions. I do believe that if a strong effort was made to totally re-vamp our planning department, planning commission and vigorously pursue better and precise land use and zoning codes, we could much more easily solve the problems facing South Walton. While there are a dovoted few willing to actively look toward incorporation, there are none petitioning the county administration to do as suggested above. Develop a plan of operation, call the county commissioners and demand its implementation. If they don't acquiese, there is always the next election, which BTW, you will be having for city commissioners if you incorporate and yet, no further assurance of control in that case, either.

kayti elliott

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Freeport
It seems to me that some boundaries need to be established for a new "town", city or whatever. And who would ultimately decide on it? Wouldn't it be in the form of a referendum? That also begs the question as to whether or not the citizens (registered voters) really want another layer of government. A lot of people believe that the more government there is the worse off things are.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
It seems to me that some boundaries need to be established for a new "town", city or whatever. And who would ultimately decide on it? Wouldn't it be in the form of a referendum? That also begs the question as to whether or not the citizens (registered voters) really want another layer of government. A lot of people believe that the more government there is the worse off things are.

We sure as heck wanted to retain the elected layer of government that is the school superintendent, didn't we? Big government is a four letter word in these parts, unless said government is full of your family and friends. I think that one of our problems here in WACO, and the fly in the ointment for Andy A's line of thinking is that if "we" (those who tend to want to incorporate) try to get concessions out of "them" (those who favor the current systems of spoils controlled by few) "we" will get plowed over, every time.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I don't think there is any way that incorporation can offer any different set of circumstances than those we already have. The only way to break the present system of nepotism and cronyism is to possibly create one of a different nature. I do not agree that we, with our population growth and financial abilities, cannot change the governing function in Walton County. The possibility of creating the same type of situation in a city commission is always there. One particular group ends up calling all the shots. Our present system is far from perfect and all systems of government can be improved. It should also be remembered that although the fight was long and vigorous, the point about compatibility and neighborhoods won out in the Hampton Inn project. I would certainly not say, in this case, the citizenry was "plowed over". Instead, they were supported because their cause was right. I still believe working within the present system until we have a greater population and a more firm financial base is the correct thing to at this time. I am not against incorporation per se as I have said previously. I am just not for it now nor do I believe are many others.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Andy, did you attend one of the informational meetings?

Whether I attended any of the meetings or not is immaterial, IMO. I am well enough versed in city government administration function to understand what is required and necessary to develop a city government. One thing more. This is not the first time an attempt to incorporate has been tried in South Walton. It is still my opinion that the area is too diversified, rural in nature except for all ready developed areas and not conducive to incorporation at this time in general. If Seaside, Watercolor, Rosemary Beach, Inlet Beach and other already developed areas wish to incorporate, fine. In my area, as far as I'm concerned, it is unnecessary. As I have stated previously, whether incorporation occurs or not, those proposing it should be working diligently to strengthen our zoning requirements and development planning. It would be just as productive, and possibly moreso, than attempting to incorporate.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Whether I attended any of the meetings or not is immaterial, IMO. I am well enough versed in city government administration function to understand what is required and necessary to develop a city government. One thing more. This is not the first time an attempt to incorporate has been tried in South Walton. It is still my opinion that the area is too diversified, rural in nature except for all ready developed areas and not conducive to incorporation at this time in general. If Seaside, Watercolor, Rosemary Beach, Inlet Beach and other already developed areas wish to incorporate, fine. In my area, as far as I'm concerned, it is unnecessary. As I have stated previously, whether incorporation occurs or not, those proposing it should be working diligently to strengthen our zoning requirements and development planning. It would be just as productive, and possibly moreso, than attempting to incorporate.

I think the meetings would provide useful information for those who are interested in learning what incorporation means for South Walton. It truly means something different for each city, depending on needs and characteristics of the town.

Much of Walton County is still rural, but I do believe South Walton has far exceeded growth in any other area. It's one of the fastest growing areas in the state of Florida and has been for quite some time. Which is why we're reaching that point of needing a government body that will focus on our unique needs for infrastructure, growth and development for years to come. We can take charge of our future or let DeFuniak Springs continue to be our "leadership".

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Teresa, lets simplify this. You, Jdarg and others are for incorportation of South Walton. I am not and will continue to promote the reasons why which I have expressed up to this time. We will have to agree to disagree on the value of the incorporation of South Walton other than the areas with which I have no problem.