• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I've been reading all of this thread, and it really comes down to the geographical and philosophical disparities that exist in this imaginary place we call South Walton. Too many differences... that's what makes it "fun".

I was talking with a guy who moved here from Park City, Utah. What he said they did and what we should do is, to paraphrase, implement "planning overlays". I don't pretend to understand the concept completely, or how to implement them, either. They are basically a set of zoning ordinances specifically tailored to different needs in different areas.

Also, both Grayton Beach and Point Washington, (I think) have implemented "neighborhood plans". Again, I don't even play a planning department engineer on TV, but these seem like better remedies than trying to incorporate a quarter of a county.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Planning overlays and neighborhood plans are very similar in nature. A community area here in BMB has a neighborhood plan and it is my understanding the residents are quite pleased with it. Someone correct me if that is wrong. Once again, I do not need another layer of government in BMB.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Andy, Think of revenues, expenditures and focus of county government. Then take the South out of the expenditure and focus categories while the revenue keeps coming in. Now think of who benefits.
Answer: The North.
If you incorporate, any county money spent inside the city comes with strings. Ask DFS and Freeport. Or ask someone in Destin about what they pay the county to provide functions they once provided at no additional cost. (law enforcement for example)

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I don't think it is or should be a North v. South situation. That doesn't make sense, nor is it helpful in any way.

Wow, are you a contradiction of terms. You Teresa, single-handedly made this a North Vs South issue with this comment...
We can take charge of our future or let DeFuniak Springs continue to be our "leadership".

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't understand how the area from Bay County line to Okaloosa County line and from the Bay to to the Gulf is not considered contiguous?

And many cities and towns I've visited have nature preserve areas, forests, and parks, so I don't get how they would be adversely affected by being considered part of the incorporated area.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Wow, are you a contradiction of terms. You Teresa, single-handedly made this a North Vs South issue with this comment...

LOL. I was expecting that. I certainly do NOT see it as a North v. South struggle. But our government body is far away from us, whether to the north or the east or wherever. Location of our government and most of those leaders are to the north. Many of the voters deciding our leaders are to the north. So, I'm referring to location of leadership, not a power struggle.

Bottom line is why not self govern like most growing cities?

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I don't understand how the area from Bay County line to Okaloosa County line and from the Bay to to the Gulf is not considered contiguous? And many cities and towns I've visited have nature preserve areas, forests, and parks, so I don't get how they would be adversely affected by being considered part of the incorporated area.

If I understand your question correctly the parks and forests belong to the state and would not become part of any incorporated area.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Teresa, if those in Seaside, Rosemary Beach, Miramar Beach and other populated areas wish to incorporate, let them. To say a city can be formed beach to bay, county line to county line with a good part of it state forest and not prone to urban development is ludicrous. Leave our area out of your "incorporation". We have wonderful waste pick-up, fire and EMS service, regional utilities and electrical service. If we want for anything we don't have, I don't know what it is. I am only one person expressing a point of view but I am willing to bet there are others who feel exactly as I do.

In 20 years when SoWal is Wall to Wall city with a little state forest you're argument will mean little.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008

Always has been and always will be. She didnt start it. What makes it north v south is income disparity and the property value differences. Folks in the south want to recycle and want paved roads. They went to college. They have tread on their tires. They marry people unrelated to them and leave animals unmolested.

:whitetrash:

vs

:beach:

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Always has been and always will be. She didnt start it. What makes it north v south is income disparity and the property value differences. Folks in the south want to recycle and want paved roads. They went to college. They have tread on their tires. They marry people unrelated to them and leave animals unmolested. :whitetrash: vs :beach:

They may leave animals unmolested, but their friends don't leave children unmolested. Just ask SoWal resident Mike Huckabee. He collects child molester friends the way others collect sea shells.