• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
I have worked in condo rentals and always made it a point to inform visitors about the flag system, stressing the importance of educating their children and other guests as well. I told them about rip currents and how it can be tempting to wade in...just a little...even if the red flags are out, and how easy it is for a wave to take your feet out from under you. If you work with tourists, I urge you to take the time to educate them. Having been on vacation in other areas, I know how easy it is to get into a state-of-altered-being where you can't imagine anything bad happening. It's a common phenomenon, and that little bit of time you take to educate could save a life.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
This is so sad. People who rent their places out can get brochures and fliers that explain the flag system and provide instructions for getting out of a rip tide (or at least trying to) from the TDC office. I have them framed in my rental cottages. I also have one huge magnetic one that I found once that I put on the washing machine in one of our cottages. It would be great to be able to get refrigerator magnets from the TDC as well (larger size ones). That still may not stop everyone from going in the water on a red flag day. How about a contest for a poster with the flag system that would appeal to children? Something that would look nice in the "kid's" bedrooms or bathrooms so that they can educate themselves even if their parents don't. Kids learn to not cross the street at a red or yellow light at a very young age. I realize they'd have to be old enough to read.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
There is a billboard on 98 that has instructions to text to a number to find out flag system info. Really? Why not just show the damn flags and what they mean- a billboard is certainly big enough. Wonder how many people see it and actually go to the trouble to text for the info.:bang:

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Signs reminding people of the number of people who die in the water could help. We have been hearing in Louisville that the number of motorcycle deaths have increased this year because of the warm winter we had.
The gulf waters aren't so friendly whether it's the extreme of the death due to the current or the June grass (or BP oil). It's almost 'look but do not touch'. We really like 30A but we might become snowbirds, enjoy our bikes, dining, walking, then look else where for water, because really, the main reason you go to the Panhandle are the beaches which includes the water.
Group of us went to Cancun two years in a row. first time, we were on the east side, where the beach was alittle rocky and the water choppy. The next year, we were on the north part of the '7' and we lived in the water; calm and clear.
Counting down; we'll be looking forward to a Red Bar bloody mary for breakfast next Saturday:)
Ellen

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
No matter what , some people will ignore the flags.I don't think I have ever stayed in a rental that didn't have the flag situation on the fridge.They are there for a reason- pay attenion.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
This is so sad. People who rent their places out can get brochures and fliers that explain the flag system and provide instructions for getting out of a rip tide (or at least trying to) from the TDC office. I have them framed in my rental cottages. I also have one huge magnetic one that I found once that I put on the washing machine in one of our cottages. It would be great to be able to get refrigerator magnets from the TDC as well (larger size ones). That still may not stop everyone from going in the water on a red flag day. How about a contest for a poster with the flag system that would appeal to children? Something that would look nice in the "kid's" bedrooms or bathrooms so that they can educate themselves even if their parents don't. Kids learn to not cross the street at a red or yellow light at a very young age. I realize they'd have to be old enough to read.
Let's carry it one step further. Bed taxes are collected from all agencies and individuals renting out their properties. Use some of that money to buy American those magnets you talk about and send them to everyone on the bed tax rolls. It is one more way, and a useful expediture of bed tax dollars, to get the message about the beaches out.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
Unfortunately, the beaches that most need lifeguards don't have them. It is obvious they are needed in Seaside, Sandestin and Seascape areas. But, these are so-called private beaches.

We have the flag info posted at the door that leads to the beach as well as on the fridge, including a note telling our guests which direction to look for the closest flags.

But I wonder if because people have paid a boatload of money for their yearly beach trip which is non-refundable once they arrive and see red flags, they ignore the flags to fulfill their vacation dreams come hell or riptide? :dunno: