• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
No matter what your position is about spraying, one thing we can all agree on is that we hate mosquitos! Despite two visits from the truck last week the critters are out in force in our neck of the swamp. One thing we can all do is try to eliminate pools of water where they can foster larvae. It does not take much water, at all. Tip all those water holding containers over! Also, I have seen them wiggling around in empty trash cans-and the rental houses that sit empty seem to really have empty cans collecting rainwater-we should tip these over, too.
Thanks for the info. The mosquitoes attacked us Saturday night. We non-rental homeowners should also turn our garbage cans on the side. Unfortunately when Waste Management empties the trash, they turn the garbage cans upside down (instead of tipped over). This gives the mosquitoes a lot of breeding space.

Mello Yolo

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
'Just making two points, here.....

1. Going back to the original message on this thread. I'm in favor of plane spraying--in Panama City. (Yep, I live in Santa Rosa Beach.....)

2. I have found that wrapping your entire body with several layers of plastic wrap is an effective mosquito deterrent. Don't forget two holes for your nasal ingress. It's also a great way to lose a lot of water in the body....... (Is a 104 degree body temp dangerous????) :)

Billie

Beach Comber
Jul 13, 2007
Please read the EPA reports about Permethrin and the fact that it is a studied and known neurotoxin. It is not Pyrethrin a natural product derived from flowers. It is a chemical neurotoxin we are sprayed with from the trucks up to 3 times a week. There are hundreds of residents in South Walton that are opposed to being sprayed by mosquito trucks with permethrin. We are coming together and presenting alternatives to the mosquito problem. We live here. We work here and operate businesses that support the tourism trade. Does anyone really think that South Walton tourists or residents want to be coated with Permethrin or something even more toxic when they are out enjoying the great outdoors or simply allowing their children to play? What about our vibrant ecosystem of coastal dune lakes, birds and animals that is already suffering under the chemical assault we already allow? South Walton Mosquito Control was given a chemical free product that works called Cedarcide. The wealthiest zip codes in our country are testing it this past year. They refused to test it although they have a 500,000 surplus? They admit that mosquitos become resistant to the toxins they are currently using. These very toxins kill the ecosystem that would eat mosquitos that plague us, the birds, the fish, the shellfish, the frogs and every other living organism. This is not radical thinking, this is basic science. Let us all educate ourselves about what is happening in the area we live and love and make a healthy place for all of us to live and raise our children without using neurotoxins to kill mosquitos! Contact SWMCD to make your feelings known. There is a contact list to be notified if they are spraying in your area and you can request a No Spray form for your property to at least protect your immediate property from neurotoxins.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
After many years of doing without (because our driveway is a private drive and apparently we had never asked), my friends at the Mosquito Control hooked me up with the spray truck again after my buddy who is preparing to bush hog my property almost got carried off. 'Twas music to my ears when it came by last night. Thanks Skeeter...:)

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
A very low flying plane has passed over our neighborhood (Seabreeze) the last several nights near mid-night. Are they aerial spraying now when few people would be out?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
ok, question? I can post/start a new thread on my Iphone,BUT how do you start a new thread on the web site?
I see no place start only to reply. Thanks