• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
gardening1970 said:
My grandfather and extended family live in Port St. Joe Beach - a few blocks off of Hwy 98. I concur that Mexico Beach and much of the area have undergone tremendous development in the last few years. I recall condo construction on the west end of Mexico Beach when I visited last April. I'm planning a long weekend in March and eager to see what's new.

Does anyone know the timing for moving 98 in the Windmark area?
What I have heard is that it should be moved by mid-July. They seem to be working pretty hard at it.
The jets around here don't bother me at all, but then Top Gun is one of my favorite movies, and I have a kid who wants to be a pilot.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Hi Cil,

I am curious to know what the locals in Port St. Joe are saying about all the recent development plans for your area.

montana

Beach Comber
Feb 7, 2006
not on the beach
actually I think it's a smart move on St. Joe's part, the way BRAC closures are coming on non-essential bases, that would put them right next to a perfect place to start a new industrial area or clean it up in some future time and put in all the homes you could think of and Tyndall is a very well located base. Just think of it not being milatary?? the only reason they kept it open last time around was for the f22 raptors to train there! even those will become obselete in the near future.

twt512 said:
Hi Cil,

I am curious to know what the locals in Port St. Joe are saying about all the recent development plans for your area.
Hi twt512
I've been here about 3 months, so am no expert.
Opinions vary.
Some of the "old school" type folks are still bitter about the paper mill closing.
OTOH, some locals made a lot of money with the higher property values.
People seem excited (in a good way) about the new marina plans.
I think everyone will be a lot happier when there is more infrastructure to go with the fancy properties and fancy prices. It's coming.

Philip_Atlanta

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2005
www.rosemaryrental.com
From the WMBB site on Feb 10th....

PANAMA CITY - Last Tuesday night, the St. Joe Company made their presentation to the Mexico Beach Planning & Zoning Board to request the re-zoning of 550 acres they currently own between Mexico Beach and Tyndall Air Force Base.

The property is zoned "Timber & Agricultural Use" and St. Joe Company is lobbying for "Tourist Mixed Use." The zoning change would allow the St. Joe Company to pursue their longterm goal of creating an upscale residential and commercial community similar to South Walton County's Watercolor community.

The proximity of this land to Tyndall Air Force Base has prompted some citizens to express their concern. However, Tyndall AFB says it is too early in the process for them to become involved. They issued this statement to News13 on Friday:

"Tyndall leadership is committed to being a good neighbor and strengthening the relationship with local communities and governments while working together to form responsible land uses. We do not engage in local decision-making, but identify issues with development proposals that may be incompatible with military training operations. There is an established process in place and once we are asked to submit our evaluation of any proposals to the state, we will do so at that time, currently it is too early in the process. We will continue to work closely with county and community planners, government leaders, developers and concerned citizens so they are well versed about our operations and can make informed decisions concerning development."

The Mexico Beach Planning and Zoning Board will make their recommendations to the Mexico Beach City Council next Tuesday. If this moves forward, a proposal will the be drafted for the state and it will be the state that then asks Tyndall Air Force Base for their evaluations.

fisshforfun

Beach Crab
Feb 14, 2006
A couple of years ago I made the mistake of purchasing a lot in the prestigious Watersound St. Joe development here in South Walton County. After years of trying to get plans approved by their design and review process, tons of headaches, threats of $2500.00 per month fines for not stating a project on time, a total disrespect of owners, I could never recommended anyone to purchase a lot in a St. Joe development! Even though you are forced to select an approved Watersound architect, the Watersound DRB committee jerks every lot owner around for months at a time. There is an official pattern book, but this committee only uses it for reference, so owners and architects are left with becoming mind readers! There is no parity or equitable toward their reviews, and you can expect your plans to have to be redrawn at least a half dozen times. Guess its job security of the architects (and the DRB board members) who on average charge 10% of total build out costs. No one in the sales office will tell you that there is over 80 lots for resale, nor do they mention to potential buyers to expect several years of headaches in the DRB process before you can expect approval to build! No wonder there are over 80 lots of sale in the Watersound development! They sell you a lot and then do everything they can to make sure you never start your home just so they can collect $2500.00/month when you pass their deadline! I have even heard of lot owners whom are giving away lots to charity just to avoid stiff penalties. The state of Florida needs to be investigating this specific St. Joe development because you would think its either a borderline scam or fraud with respect of how they are treating lot owners! Personally, I recommend anyone to think twice before every purchasing a lot in any St. Joe development!

iqueequeg

Beach Lover
Feb 2, 2005
Snowy Boston
We're building on our lot in Watersound now. I must say we had no problems at all. Our initial plan had to be revised, but we knew it might be because we were pushing the allowable sq. ft. limits on our lot, and they accepted the first revision no problem. I'm sorry you had such problems. I must say, I'm a little puzzled by the way Watersound has played out. We bought the lot for a second home, which I would have assumed is why the majority of people bought there, it's a beautiful setting. The only reason we didn't build sooner (we've been approved for over a year) is that no one else seems to be building and we didn't want to be surrounded by construction any longer than necessary. I understand some investors are buying those lots and waiting to build, but I don't understand why only a very small proportion of lots are starting construction after more than 4 years. My 2 cents.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
:welcome: Fishforfun

Sounds gruesome!

You state: "They sell you a lot and then do everything they can to make sure you never start your home just so they can collect $2500.00/month when you pass their deadline!" .

I know very little about Watersound, but this doesn't sound logical .... are you sure this is not exaggeration? I really can't imagine this being done .... How would they stay in business? Surely someone else knows if this is factual. :dunno:

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
FFF - I call BS. Not every owner has problems. Sounds like you and your architect couldn't follow directions, and that you have a giant axe to grind. Do it somewhere else because I'm not buying.