• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
P6130005.JPG

Seaside photo taken 6/13/05
Glass half full.

P6130003.JPG

Seaside photo taken 6/13/05
Glass half empty.

Last edited:

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Thanks for the info, Kurt. Maybe the State of Florida should give up on the beach scraping. Can we taxpayers withhold a percentage of our property taxes if we object to spending our money on this pointless endeavor? LOL. No, that's right, because I'm a female with blonde hair, I'd end up in jail like Martha Stewart (unlike OJ and Jacko).

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
And here I thought Martha Stewart's bane was that she wasn't tried in California. :bang:

It would be nice if we could withhold our tax dollars from areas that we find futile or obsenely disagreeable. I would save a lot of money that way! :roll:

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
SJ, half full looks wonderful. Half Empty is so sad and shocking. I never would have thought that the florida coastline could look so naked and vulnerable.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
From: The Walton County Tourist Development Council Re: Tropical Strom Arlene

Overall, we feel encouraged that the emergency repairs and dune restoration conducted after Hurricane Ivan helped lessen the damage from the Tropical Storm Arlene. In most areas, the dune system withstood the storm and offered upland protection from the storm surge.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
:

What is the status of the area after Tropical Storm Arlene?
The area is open for business. All of the area?s lodging accommodations, restaurants, shops and boutiques are open and welcoming visitors. All of the area?s summer festivals are taking place as scheduled. All state parks are welcoming visitors for outdoor activities including hiking, biking and kayaking.

What is the status of the area?s beaches?
Like many coastal communities throughout the state of Florida who have been affected by storms, we?ve experienced some erosion, about two to three feet deep. The county is quickly working to consolidate debris along the shoreline throughout Walton County for later removal. The beaches are open except for posted areas. Visitors are encouraged to be cautious as there may be debris that will continue to wash on shore.

Why is there black sand on some of the area?s beaches?
The erosion from the storm has exposed peat, which lies under the white sand. Thousands of years ago, our beaches were a cypress swamp thick with cypress trees. As sea level rose, these peat deposits were covered by the white sand from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. While it may be unattractive, it is safe and washes off with water and/or mineral spirits.

Can you place sand on the beaches to cover the peat?
We can, but it would require permitting that is difficult to obtain during turtle nesting season. Unfortunately, there is not a quick fix. In order to ensure our efforts are environmentally sound and will last long term, we must proceed with caution and are currently investigating all options.

When will the white sand return?
It is hard to give an exact time frame. Our beaches change from week to week depending on coastal conditions. If Mother Nature brings mild breezes and rolling waves, we?ll see our sugar white sands quickly pushed back on shore.

What are your plans for beach renourishment?
The TDC remains focused on gaining permitting for the beach nourishment project slated for 4.8 miles in Western Walton County. In the meantime, the TDC has begun redirecting dump trucks to deliver sand to Western Walton County to repair the Miramar Beach Regional Access and protect the damaged beach walkovers. The TDC will also move forward on plans to protect the dune system by planting more than 900,000 sea oats this summer.

What happened to the flag warning system?
Beaches of South Walton have eight flag poles remaining that educate beachgoers on water conditions. While the TDC replaces the lost flag poles and a temporary system is devised, we are encouraging all lodging partners and visitors to check the current flag conditions at www.seemoresafetycrab.com.

Will the trash bags on the beach be replaced?
TDC Staff is replacing many of the trash receptacles lost by Tropical Storm Arlene on a daily basis and as quickly as possible.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I guess that answers some of the questions. Due to the turtle nesting issue, it looks like there really isn't much they can do to hasten the nice appearance of the beaches.

It's obvious to me that scraping was a mistake. Hopefully the TDC realizes this now and they won't try it again. Perhaps dredging is an option. In fact, it may be the only option if they want to widen the beaches. IMO, that is the only way to prevent future beach damage that really shouldn't happen with a mild storm like Arlene.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
JB said:
I guess that answers some of the questions. Due to the turtle nesting issue, it looks like there really isn't much they can do to hasten the nice appearance of the beaches.

It's obvious to me that scraping was a mistake. Hopefully the TDC realizes this now and they won't try it again. Perhaps dredging is an option. In fact, it may be the only option if they want to widen the beaches. IMO, that is the only way to prevent future beach damage that really shouldn't happen with a mild storm like Arlene.

The official stance I think is that Ivan is to blame for the surprising effects from Arlene, and that scraping lessened damage. I guess it's not a simple issue. On one hand, the actual beach level may be lower which may now take longer to build back up, but perhaps there was less damage to the dunes because of the scraped and piled sand.

I hope you're not one day writing "It's obvious to me that dredging was a mistake".

But if property is in jeapardy, it will probably happen. I think it will depend on how long we have before the next hit.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kurt said:
The official stance I think is that Ivan is to blame for the surprising effects from Arlene, and that scraping lessened damage. I guess it's not a simple issue. On one hand, the actual beach level may be lower which may now take longer to build back up, but perhaps there was less damage to the dunes because of the scraped and piled sand.

I hope you're not one day writing "It's obvious to me that dredging was a mistake".

But if property is in jeapardy, it will probably happen. I think it will depend on how long we have before the next hit.

Sometimes, we must allow Mother Nature to do her thing. Unfortunately, that comes at someone's expense.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
You're exactly right. There is no easy answer. I know PCB and Pensacola Beach have done some dredging in an effort to widen the beaches. Some folks familiar with those areas might have a better idea of how it worked out.

But no matter what is done, there is always a trade-off.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
turtles must nest in dry sand, not clay or peat, and need a sandy beach, not clay or peat, to reach nesting strata. the turtles may eventually be the swaying point for refilling the beach sand quickly before the next one comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.