• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Are the lakes still open?

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
SJ-

Thanks! By the way, I am horribly envious of you being able to lean forward and look out the window at that beach.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
In reading the questions and answers about the beach conditions after Arlene (and other tropical storms/hurricanes), I have a few comments. The answer to the question, "Why is there black sand on some of the area?s beaches?" says "...While it may be unattractive, it is safe and washes off with water and/or mineral spirits."

In my mind, the beaches are "unattractive" when they are dirty with garbage or other debris that comes onshore after a storm or when the boardwalks are broken up. But the peat is part of the natural environment and, frankly, I never thought it was unattractive although everyone keeps telling me it is. Maybe it's because I'm new the area and the peat showing through the sand seems like a natural part of the beach. My concern is not the way the peat looks, but rather that it's a sign that the beaches are eroded and need to draw more layers of sand back.

We need to remember that if we "over-sell" the white sand as part of SoWal's beauty, then we shape people's perspectives to think that anything else is unattractive. Consider how beautiful the beaches in Maine are with their ragged rocks, brown sand, etc. They are gorgeous and I long for them almost as much as I long for SoWal beaches.

So, although white sand is an important part of SoWal beaches, so are the peat mounds, some black sand from peat, and whatever else beaches have naturally.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Landlocked said:
SJ-

Thanks! By the way, I am horribly envious of you being able to lean forward and look out the window at that beach.
What do you mean? I am sitting on the Beach using my wireless. :D
(just kidding, but that would be nice, eh?) I definitely cannot see the Beach from my window, but I am much closer than Montgomery.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
I'm still envious. Come Saturday, I'll have my much needed therapy. Unfortunately, when I come down Saturday, I'll have the cell strapped to my side (work). It never goes away. I may re-enact one of those Corona commercials if it rings. :laughing1

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
With my luck, I would still be able to hear it ringing. :bang:

jtnkelly

Beach Comber
Jun 12, 2005
TN
I was in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, AL May 11-14. There was a dredge operation 1/4 mile offshore and what appeared to be a 36" pipe pumping sand onto shore. Trucks were then hauling the stuff off, and I saw some bulldozers spreading sand in places. I saw some of the post-Ivan pictures of the damage, and was amazed to see the recovery when I was there last month. The beaches just west of Perdido Pass looked great. The only difference I saw was that there was a significant amount of small, broken seashells on the beach in places, apparently ground up by the pumping/dredging, which for a tenderfoot like me, was a little painful to walk on.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
pbch_original.jpg

Santa Clara access at Seagrove Beach today - no damage to walkover, beach and dunes in pretty good shape. Many stretches like this will be back to pre-Arlene pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.