• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
Well Rap, there was about 15 months were the market went flat, then begain to climb back up until Opal hit in 1995. Again, the market went flat for about 12 months, then began to climb. There was another small hurricane in 1998, that caused the market to go flat for about 8-12 months, and as usual the market began to grow. In my opinion, what really fueled the rapid increase prior to Katrina was low interest rates, reduction in capital gains tax to 15% and 1031's being discovered by more buyers/agents and the stock market collasp after 9/11. Personally, I still would rather have a piece of sand in my pocket, then own a piece of worthless stock any day.

Your picture is a cockpit of a Piper what?

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Tomorrow.:dunno:

IMO (and the author's), Here's an easy article with graphs that outlines why this market will take at least a couple of "tomorrows."

<que the band>

The buyers will come tomorrow, bet my ARM (and leg) they're here tomorrow--sure as hell;

Just thinkin' a-bout tomorrow, we'll forget our sorrow and our condo, we will sell;

Whether I'm stuck with a beachhouse or pre-con or dirt lot, I'll just mark up the price--hey! the view's nice--and say....

Tomorrow, tomorrow, the buyers are coming--or so says my real-tor Renee'!

Tomorrow, tomorrow I can't wait--til tomorrow--the ARM reset, and I just-can't-pay.

<FADE TO BLACK---MAKE THAT RED>

Last edited:

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Your picture is a cockpit of a Piper what?

The market will not have bottomed here until people like BabyBlue figure it is better to own a piece of "Worthless stock" instead of "a piece of sand"... apparently the mass preference for asset classes other than real estate has not yet occurred...

BabyBlue mentions the capital gains tax rate being slashed to 15%.... good luck with that under Nancy Pelosi's new congress.....

YIKES - WATCH OUT FOR FALLING PRICES

p.s. Is there any solution to mortgage rate resets?? We have several friends in Atlanta who bought in in 2004 and 2005 and are trying to figure out there options in lieu of having their payments double. They're also grumbling now about their taxes and insurance -

man is it cheap to rent down there though.

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
The only solution to mortgage rate resets is to get out of the bad loan. You don't mention what their rate is or payment or term, but depending on their longer term goals (keep property forever, keep 5 years while renting out with goal to sell when market comes back, etc.), they might opt for some type of fixed term in the interest of stability.

Pirate

Beach Fanatic
Jan 2, 2006
The market will not have bottomed here until people like BabyBlue figure it is better to own a piece of "Worthless stock" instead of "a piece of sand"... apparently the mass preference for asset classes other than real estate has not yet occurred...

BabyBlue mentions the capital gains tax rate being slashed to 15%.... good luck with that under Nancy Pelosi's new congress.....

p.s. Is there any solution to mortgage rate resets?? We have several friends in Atlanta who bought in in 2004 and 2005 and are trying to figure out there options in lieu of having their payments double. They're also grumbling now about their taxes and insurance -

Some property is a great investment just as some stock is a great investment. If you could buy stock at a 5 to 1 leverage rate i suppose there would be a bubble there as well. I think there are buys along the coast now (not asking prices) that make sense fundamentally. Thank you for renting here.

Last edited:

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach

Don't be crabby be happy. I think you have me confused. Look at my qoute. I wanted to know what type of airplane the picture showed.:D

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
IMO (and the author's), Here's an easy article with graphs that outlines why this market will take at least a couple of "tomorrows."

<que the band>

The buyers will come tomorrow, bet my ARM (and leg) they're here tomorrow--sure as hell;

Just thinkin' a-bout tomorrow, we'll forget our sorrow and our condo, we will sell;

Whether I'm stuck with a beachhouse or pre-con or dirt lot, I'll just mark up the price--hey! the view's nice--and say....

Tomorrow, tomorrow, the buyers are coming--or so says my real-tor Renee'!

Tomorrow, tomorrow I can't wait--til tomorrow--the ARM reset, and I just-can't-pay.

<FADE TO BLACK---MAKE THAT RED>

Easy article? I did not get the point he was trying to make. :dunno: He just uses some useless graphs of housing starts from the 60's (which IMO shouldn't equate into his analysis) analyzes home equity withdrawals (which of course at record low rates would be higher) put up a graph of homes for sale vs. bought.
Then he takes these graphs (which have simple statements) and makes an even simpler statement that based on supply and demand balances, the housing market still has yet to fall. :blink:
Maybe you can explain to me in plain language how the author of this thesis is coming to his conclusion because I am not seeing it.

BTW- dig the tune..........BOOM CHICK A BOOM

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Until the huge inventories of ?real estate for sale? starts getting gobbled up we have not seen the bottom.