• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Reading these candidates answers about all the things they will do differently begs the question why would anyone believe anything will change if they keep electing the same party to these positions?
1 Commissioner change isn't enough to make a difference. It is one person on the outside looking in at the majority. Now if you look at this current fiasco there are 5 folks and for the most part all you hear is crickets. At least the lawyers doing his job for the employer unlike what he did for Tusa...

South Walton Community Council

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
Question #4:

DO YOU HAVE PROFESSIONAL SKILLS OR EXPERIENCES THAT YOU FEEL WOULD BENEFIT YOU IN SERVING ON THE BCC? PLEASE ELABORATE.

------------------​

DAVID BUCHANAN

I graduated with a BA in Criminal Justice and minor/s in Business Management and Business Organization. I studied approximately 2.5 years for engineering, I earned my State Certified General Contractors License and started two state Certified General contracting companies. One Local company for Residential and commercial projects and one company based out of Orlando that handled airport work in Florida, Texas, and Puerto Rico. I am also a Real Estate agent who studies the trends and needs of the community.

------------------

DONNA JOHNS

I’m currently serving as a Commissioner for the South Walton County Mosquito Control District. I’ve been in this position a year and a half. I ran for this elected position because I knew of some of the challenges that were facing the District and affecting the citizens of Walton County, and because I knew I had the ability to make positive changes, and I have. We were able to fix and/or replace broken equipment and now the 40+ mosquito ditches are being properly maintained; the bills are now being paid; annual audits are submitted to the State in a timely manner; and the open lawsuits that were impacting the District have now been resolved. We also reduced the millage rate. I have served on the Walton County Design Review Board for three years. This experience allowed me to become knowledgeable about the County process especially regarding design along scenic Highway 98 and south of the 331 Bridge.

------------------

CHARLES GALLOWAY

I have a very extensive knowledge of the Marketing & Technology fields. I plan to use my knowledge and interest in Technology to modernize our county operations to help the county run more smoothly and to provide better customer service. I will use my mass communication and marketing skills to keep my constituents informed on everything that is going on and to also to get their opinion on current issues to better help me make decisions.

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
QUESTION #5:

PLEASE DESCRIBE ANY INVOLVEMENT WITH COUNTY GOVERNMENT IN THE PAST 5 YEARS WHERE YOU ADVOCATED FOR ACTIONS TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR YOUR FELLOW CITIZENS.

CHARLES GALLOWAY

I was a very big supporter of customary use and I still am to this day.

DONNA JOHNS

I have attended and participated in hundreds of County meetings, to include BCC, Zoning, Technical Review, Planning, Code Compliance meetings, etc. These meetings take place in various locations, South Walton, Freeport, Paxton, and DeFuniak Springs. I’ve traveled to each area, and I am very concerned with the rapid growth and want to work together to ensure the citizens of the County have a voice. I speak up at many, many meetings and have been successful on occasion to make a change. I’d love to see more green space, less encroachment, and fewer variances, etc.

DAVID BUCHANAN

Over the last 17 years I’ve worked to improve the quality of life for my fellow citizens through volunteering my time and services at the Muscogee Nation in Bruce, led volunteer groups in local nursing homes, led church based small groups for people of the community to connect and experience personal growth, served in the youth and in the young adults department at my local church, coached youth flag football, delivered Thanksgiving meals and help get school supplies to children in need.

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
QUESTION #6:

WHAT IS YOUR POSITION ON THE PROPOSED SALES TAX INCREASE FOR INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS?

DONNA JOHNS

I do not agree that we should add a 1 cent sales tax on an already burdened economy. With the price of gas, groceries, and just about everything else, I believe this is the wrong time to tax people once again. This proposed tax is for 30 years and there is nothing in writing to allow citizens to know exactly where the County plans to use this money. I would be more inclined to agree to a 10-year tax, that is well defined, and people actually know what they’re getting. For example, how many of the citizen of DeFuniak Springs need an extended runway? Was that the proper use of $5.5 million? Were the citizens of DeFuniak Springs asked what they wanted?

DAVID BUCHANAN

I believe there is a lot of information missing from the county on this tax that would help the voters decided. What I can say is that for every penny Walton County citizens put up, visitors will put up about 3.5 cents. As an investment into our future, it has great returns. What concerns me is that the money is properly accounted for and that it be allowed to be used for what is best for Walton County. I am also concerned that the tax money serves the county as a whole and not one section. The revenue that this brings in would also be used to create many jobs and business opportunities for our community. This is a decision for you, the voters, and I will work hard to solve the needs of the county whichever way you decide.

CHARLES GALLOWAY

I support any initiative to improve our infrastructure. At the current time it is up to the voters to decide. I will support any decision that the voters choose.

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
QUESTION #7:

PEOPLE COMPLAIN OFTEN AND LOUDLY ABOUT OVER-DEVELOPMENT IN SOUTH WALTON. DO YOU THINK THIS IS A VALID CONCERN AND WHAT DO YOU THINK CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT?

DAVID BUCHANAN

We are all frustrated with current infrastructure needs our county faces. Issues like traffic, Stormwater management, and parking are significant and valid concerns our citizens have. The county needs to prioritize implementing solutions to these issues immediately to effectively handle our rapidly growing population. In my vision for Walton County we invest in the infrastructure we are going to need 10 to 20 years from now not just for today.

DONNA JOHNS

I absolutely think this is a valid concern. We’ve got to reduce the number zoning changes and the number of variances to only ones that make sense and are absolutely necessary. We must listen to the citizens of Walton County. We are all screaming enough is enough. We would not continue to complain about infrastructure, mobility, and congestion, if we had a plan and executed that plan. We need to focus on our community. Currently, we’re stuck in traffic most of the time. We can’t see around the rows of cars parked on the right of way. We have got to stop allowing Monster Homes to be built in residential neighborhoods. Stormwater issues are everywhere and must be addressed. Our neighborhoods need sidewalks not just for safety, but for the community. This County needs to start listening to the people that live here.

CHARLES GALLOWAY

In any democracy people will always complain about every issue regardless of what side they are on. I think one could argue that some places in South Walton have been “Over-Developed,” however one could also argue that private property owners have the right to develop property that they own as long as they are following the Law and the Land Development Code. I don’t think the Local Government should be making subjective, opinion based decisions on whether or not a development is “the right fit” or not. As a Conservative Republican I am not in favor of big government regulations, especially when it comes to Private Property Rights. The so called “Over-Development” problem could be solved much quicker with education. South Walton is most famous for the its “Master Planned Communities” like Seaside, Watercolor, Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach, etc. These communities are known and respected worldwide for their “Sustainable Development Practices” and lifestyle. These communities are where everyone wants to be when on vacation and also have the highest property values. We should make more of an attempt to promote sustainable development to our developers and show them that there is much more value in creating developments the way those communities have, rather than just building as many units as possible.

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
QUESTION #8:

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE IDEA OF PAID PARKING ON ALL SOUTH WALTON PROPERTY (INCLUDING ALL ROAD ROWS) AS A WAY TO CONTROL OVER-UTILIZATION OF SCARCE RESOURCES?

CHARLES GALLOWAY

I am think we desperately to solve our parking issue in South Walton. Paid Parking solves many of the problems. It makes enforcement much easier and provides a revenue stream for more parkings lots, parking garages, etc.

DAVID BUCHANAN

Adequate parking is certainly one of my top priorities as part of a comprehensive traffic management plan. I believe there are opportunities to create attractive parking areas and spaces that will alleviate much of the problem. I don’t know what affect paid parking will have on controlling overutilization, but there may be opportunities where “some” paid parking areas are appropriate and can offset the expense of creating them.

DONNA JOHNS

The County should build parking garages on the properties they’ve already purchased for parking garages. There is a plan to enlarge the parking for the $7 million property in Grayton Beach, which is great. The sooner, the better. We don’t need ugly, box parking garages. We need architecturally designed parking that is appealing to the eye. Several other properties over the years have been purchased and still need to be developed. I am not totally against paid parking, but I do not believe the locals should have to pay. I would recommend the residents of Walton County be given a “sticker” for their vehicles to indicate they are residents and not required to pay.

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
QUESTION #9:

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON RECENTLY PROPOSED CHANGES TO SHORT TERM RENTAL CONTROLS IN THE LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE? DO THOSE CHANGES GO FAR ENOUGH?

CHARLES GALLOWAY

I am happy with the changes. I think it’s a good start. Once again I am not a believer in too much government regulation and interference with private industry. Short term rentals are the back bone of our economy. Obviously we need to always keep an eye on it, however I think the changes are good for now.

DONNA JOHNS

It’s a step in the right direction, however, I believe we still have a long way to go. The County is working on the changes and the Short-Term Rental Ordinance will be heard at the Board of County Commissioners meeting on June 27th@ the South Walton Annex at 9:00am. I encourage all citizens to attend.

DAVID BUCHANAN

No response.

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
QUESTION #10:

DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE APPROPRIATE TO USE TDC FUNDS TO PAY FOR INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS WHERE THE CAUSE OF INADEQUACIES ARE CAUSED BY SWARMS OF VISITORS?

DONNA JOHNS

Definitely. If the expenditure is authorized by the Florida Statute, I believe that would be an excellent use of TDC funds.

DAVID BUCHANAN

I believe TDC funds can provide opportunities to improve infrastructure to support the robust tourism industry we have here.

CHARLES GALLOWAY

I would love for that to be an option, and I would strongly be in favor of this if it was. As we all know the State Legislature limits how we can spend bed tax. I would love to work with our State Representatives to try and make this a reality.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
They're all laughable.

We've got the uninformed candidate (Johns), the developers puppet (Buchanan) and the bitter former employee (Galloway).

Just don't vote for any and let the governor appointment someone.