• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
They're all laughable.

We've got the uninformed candidate (Johns), the developers puppet (Buchanan) and the bitter former employee (Galloway).

Just don't vote for any and let the governor appointment someone.
Why do you say Johns is uninformed?
DONNA JOHNS
I have attended and participated in hundreds of County meetings, to include BCC, Zoning, Technical Review, Planning, Code Compliance meetings, etc. These meetings take place in various locations, South Walton, Freeport, Paxton, and DeFuniak Springs. I’ve traveled to each area, and I am very concerned with the rapid growth and want to work together to ensure the citizens of the County have a voice. I speak up at many, many meetings and have been successful on occasion to make a change. I’d love to see more green space, less encroachment, and fewer variances, etc.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Why do you say Johns is uninformed?

For example, how many of the citizen of DeFuniak Springs need an extended runway? Was that the proper use of $5.5 million? Were the citizens of DeFuniak Springs asked what they wanted?

Those are her words not understanding that that money was from the Federal infrastructure bill. That money isn't up for interpretation or spending on anything else. Do we need another commissioner that doesn't understand how public funds work?

Also, interesting that Buchanan has never shown an interest in politics until there's $5.5 million in airport money and he owns an airport construction firm....

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
The Donna Johns campaign is receiving heavy criticism today over a slanderous video released via YouTube by one of the campaign's main organizers.

Alan Osborne is a Miramar Beach local and contributor to the Donna Johns campaign.

Alan’s contributions are documented in the campaign's financial reports.

Alan has a YouTube channel where he post videos that are almost always accusing Walton County officials or political candidates of some type of wrongdoing.

He also very vocally promotes Donna Johns as a candidate via the same YouTube channel.

Walton county is no stranger to Alan Osborne as he is notorious for bringing his crude and slanderous behavior to bcc meetings for decades.

He also has been involved in many lawsuits against the county and currently with the school board.

Alan’s most recent video attacks David Buchanan and his family.

David Buchanan is one of Donna‘s opponents in the district four county commissioner race.

The video has received much criticism via social media.

Facebook erupted with criticism after the video was released.

“This is absolutely unacceptable for Donna Johns to have someone like this associated with her campaign.” one citizen said.

“This type of behavior is one of the biggest problems in Walton County and the main reason why we can never get anyone to run for public office."

"I would never vote for anyone who accepts money from a person like this and I don’t think anyone else should either.”

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Has anyone EVER seen Alan Osbourne's discharge papers?

I don't care about bloody uniforms in his closet, just looking for verification from the military that he has actually served. Not his current roll as a civilian employee. I can't find anything anywhere that would show he served.

South Walton Community Council

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
QUESTION #11:

MANY WALTON COUNTY CITIZENS HAVE REPEATEDLY ASKED FOR PUBLIC RECREATIONAL FACILITIES PARTICULARLY AN OLYMPIC SIZE POOL THAT CAN BE USED BY SCHOOLS, SWIM TEAMS, AND RECREATIONAL USERS. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

DONNA JOHNS

Yes, yes, yes. We do need a pool. I think it would be great for schools, swim teams, recreational users, and also for training for our lifeguards. I’m surprised we don’t already have one. It needs to be a priority.

CHARLES GALLOWAY

Yes I am a big supporter of this idea. I think it would be great for our school swim teams and for training life guards. I also think it would be great for our senior citizen community.

DAVID BUCHANAN

I support recreational facilities, and believe a centralized Olympic size pool would be a wonderful asset to our county.

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
QUESTION #12:

WHAT DO YOU THINK SHOULD BE DONE ABOUT 30A TO IMPROVE FLOW OF VEHICLES, BICYCLES, PEDESTRIANS AND GOLF CARTS? AND HOW WOULD YOU IMPROVE THE AESTHETICS OF “SCENIC 30A”?

DAVID BUCHANAN

I believe the first step will be in the parking areas and beach access points to alleviate vehicle congestion.

DONNA JOHNS

This is a hard one since the area is already inundated. The County does have a Mobility Plan in the works. We need to ensure that plan addresses the problems we have. Currently traffic lights are being installed at several 30A intersections, which will hopefully help. It was mentioned the County could install a “pad” similar to the brick parking places, but just for golf carts to pull over when they’re slowing the cars down, not as a parking place. It’s just common courtesy to pull over, but you need a safe place to do it. I do believe many of the bike paths need to be refurbished or re-routed, as many of them are in bad repair and are dangerous.

CHARLES GALLOWAY

Ultimately I would like to see fewer cars and commuter traffic. I would also like to give visitors more options to not need a car while visiting. One idea that I will champion is the implementation of a Public Transportation system on 30A. I’ve seen it work in many other vacation areas, and it can work here also. We also need to make it easier and faster for commuter traffic to get off of 30A to Highway 98.

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
QUESTION #13:

DO YOU HAVE ANY FRESH PERSPECTIVES ON HOW TO DEAL WITH THE CUSTOMARY USE ISSUE? AND WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT RECENT ACTIONS TO PLAN AND FINANCE BEACH RENOURISHMENT?

CHARLES GALLOWAY

I’ve supported customary use from the beginning and I will always support it. I fully support any effort for beach renourishment.

DAVID BUCHANAN

Customary use is a prime example of how the county should have worked better to resolve these issues in a more effective way at the onset. This issue will be resolved in the court so depending on that decision we can try to move forward as a more united Walton County to address the concerns of our residence. There is non-private beach available in Walton county that currently sees little to no use. This would help to alleviate some of our beach related problems, including traffic on 30A.

DONNA JOHNS

Yes, I believe there is a way to make this a win-win. Many beach front owners do not mind someone sitting on their beach; however, we must be respectful of the property. As most of us are aware, Customary Use is currently in the courts, and I am in support of watching and supporting the court’s decision. As for the beach renourishment, I am not a fan of this if the white sand is not available. I am not convinced the sand in the gulf will be the same as the sand on our beach. The white sand is what makes the Emerald Coast what it is.

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
QUESTION #14:

AFFORDABLE HOUSING IS A CHALLENGE IN WALTON COUNTY AND PARTICULARLY IN SOUTH WALTON. RECENT DEVELOPMENT APPLICATIONS PROPOSE AFFORDABLE HOUSING AT THE “MODERATE” LEVEL WHICH MANY BELIEVE TRANSLATE TO HIGHER RENTS AND SALES PRICES THAT MOST PEOPLE WE ARE TRYING TO HELP, CAN’T AFFORD. WHAT’S YOUR OPINION?

DONNA JOHNS

We all agree we need affordable housing, but let’s define affordable housing. Currently, we’re all being dictated what is affordable. I think we need to understand what the people want, not just what’s currently being offered. Also, there is a new initiative to launch a Florida Hometown Heroes Housing Program to help Floridians in over 50 critical professions purchase their first homes. On June 1st, 2022, Governor DeSantis announced this program to be available for Floridians including law enforcement officers, firefighters, educators, healthcare professionals, childcare employees, and active military or veterans. This is definitely a step in the right direction. Maybe it’s time for a workshop to ask the people what would work for them?

CHARLES GALLOWAY

I think we most definitely have an affordable housing problem in Walton County, and I am very pleased that our developers have all of sudden taken a keen interest in helping out the little guy, HOWEVER, I want to make sure we do this correctly. There is no point in having an “Affordable Housing” program that results in Housing that’s NOT AFFORDABLE to the working class family in Walton County.

DAVID BUCHANAN

Housing is a major concern and one of my top priorities. I believe incentivizing developers to produce obtainable housing that matches the aesthetic of the surrounding community is one of many initiatives we need to take to address the issue. Another is investing in adequate water and sewer lines throughout the county which will open up opportunities for attainable housing developments and reduce pressure on the market. Adequate obtainable housing will have a compounding effect on reducing the burden of traffic on our saturated roads if we can place the workforce in closer proximity to their place of employment.

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
QUESTION #15:

DO YOU THINK THE CURRENT COMPREHENSIVE PLAN AND THE LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE ARE ADEQUATE? WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE CHANGED?

CHARLES GALLOWAY

I think we will always need to be looking at the Comp Plan and the LDC and I think it will always be changing with time.

DONNA JOHNS

Well, first of all, the LDC reads, “The purpose of the Land Development Code is intended to enable Walton County to respond uniformly and consistently to development proposals and to promote the health, safety, and general welfare of the residents of Walton County”. Personally, I don’t think that is followed, and it must be. For starters, wetlands need to be protected, buy-outs for sidewalks and green space should be stopped, additional parking should be required, and we need controls on density.

DAVID BUCHANAN

No response

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
QUESTION #16:

DO YOU THINK THE ZONING BOARD OF ADJUSTMENTS IS DOING A GOOD JOB? DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT?

DAVID BUCHANAN

No response.

DONNA JOHNS

Under the circumstances, I believe the committee is working the best they can under the current direction; however, the BCC realizes the need for further clarification when variances are granted by the zoning board of adjustments. For example, a hotel in Miramar Beach was granted a variance to have less parking spaces for the number of rooms they have. This caused the BCC to question how variances are granted. In my opinion, the parking should not have been changed for that hotel. The ZBA board should not usurp power over the BCC.

CHARLES GALLOWAY

Yes, I think the ZBA and its Chairman do a very good job.