• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Yuck. I can't bring myself to look at that video.

All I have to say folks is this-- Hire an engineer to inspect your home. Have roofers come out and inspect if the engineer can't get up there. Pull off siding and check flashing on decks and around windows. Take the AC handler apart and look for mold. Look for any water point of entry. Do a mold test if wary. If an owner won't comply in a sale, run don't walk.

I'm dealing with mold issues all because of improper flashing. It's costing me tens of thousands of dollars, not to mention mentally and physically draining. The owner/developer who had the house for years perjured himself on disclosures. I did have inspections, but did not do the above. A home inspector can only point out possible deficiencies but does not go to the extent an engineer would.

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB

All I have to say folks is this-- Hire an engineer to inspect your home. Have roofers come out and inspect if the engineer can't get up there. Pull off siding and check flashing on decks and around windows. Take the AC handler apart and look for mold. Look for any water point of entry. Do a mold test if wary. If an owner won't comply in a sale, run don't walk.

I'm dealing with mold issues all because of improper flashing. It's costing me tens of thousands of dollars, not to mention mentally and physically draining.

More importantly, homeowners need to learn (re-learn?) basic home maintenance and inspection. You can't always rely on someone else's inspections. I'm amazed sometimes how people don't take care of their largest investment. Folks need to remember that their house is "new" for just one day.

Upkeep is way cheaper than repair.

More importantly, homeowners need to learn (re-learn?) basic home maintenance and inspection. You can't always rely on someone else's inspections. I'm amazed sometimes how people don't take care of their largest investment. Folks need to remember that their house is "new" for just one day.

It's hard, but fair. Everyday people hang a bird feeder or porch swing and create new penetrations. People install raised plant beds or garden trellis that can create new issues. I passed an empty vacation rental that had open windows on the third floor for over a week. Things like this happen.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach

:roll:

My husband practically built my home in New York so we are quite capable, and yes, we sealed -- like a submarine and re-flashed where we thought the water was penetrating from. It wasn't until a very heavy storm that we saw the water backing out of the gutters behind the siding.

It amazes me what sheety work people put their names too.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local

I'm dealing with mold issues all because of improper flashing. It's costing me tens of thousands of dollars, not to mention mentally and physically draining. The owner/developer who had the house for years perjured himself on disclosures. I did have inspections, but did not do the above. A home inspector can only point out possible deficiencies but does not go to the extent an engineer would.

My house was a new home. Who would have thought it would have been built like it was?

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
It's hard, but fair. Everyday people hang a bird feeder or porch swing and create new penetrations. People install raised plant beds or garden trellis that can create new issues. I passed an empty vacation rental that had open windows on the third floor for over a week. Things like this happen.

How do you suggest a homeowner conducts maintenance on a hidden defect? I had no raised plant beds, no pots with hanging plants, windows did not stay open, my house was never on a rental program, no trellis, just building defects.

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB
:roll:

My husband practically built my home in New York so we are quite capable, and yes, we sealed -- like a submarine and re-flashed where we thought the water was penetrating from. It wasn't until a very heavy storm that we saw the water backing out of the gutters behind the siding.

It amazes me what sheety work people put their names too.

Sorry Mango - I wasn't directing my statement towards you.....I was afraid it was going to come off that way.

I thought you were involved in construction to some extent (from your past posts)....

Status
Not open for further replies.