• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

4robbins

Beach Comber
Oct 18, 2007
Got kicked off the beach yesterday with my two dogs on leashes (after 4:00) in Grayton because I'm not a resident. Was not bothering anyone. Had to pack up and drag my kids and dogs off the beach. I come down here at least 4 times a year pumping $ into the economy and this is what I get in return? Looking like South Carolina for my next trip. Thanks Walton County.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I would check the leash law on that SC beach- there are many beaches that have leash laws, not just Grayton.

4robbins

Beach Comber
Oct 18, 2007
There are leash laws in South Carolina but tourists are welcome to bring their dogs.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
We respect and appreciate tourism and I believe South Walton is very accomodating however tourist are not immune to ordinance, laws and respect of the environment. South Carolina is no different than South Walton in this adherance to rules. Money can not buy respect or a relaxation of these rules. We appreciate your dollars but it does not solve all problems and I do regret that you and your family were inconvenienced.

4robbins

Beach Comber
Oct 18, 2007
I see unleashed dogs up and down the beach all day and then my leashed dogs get kicked off the beach after 4:00. If Walton County is going to have laws then they need to be enforced consistently. It's kind of like the speed limit. If you drive 75 in a 70 you're probably not going to get a ticket. If you drive 90 you're getting pulled over. I was driving 71 in a 70 and got pulled over.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I agree about consistency but South Walton is no different than any other place in that we do the best we can with our resources plus I believe this community really wants to improve upon our mistakes. We have rules for a reason just like the speed limits and we must do a better job at enforcement. Of course consistency will prevent any feelings of being picked on and we are very sorry for that. Hope lessons were learned on both sides.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
You didn't get kicked off because you weren't a resident, your unlicensed dogs and their owner got kicked off. As you noted, dogs running amok in the beach are a problem and they are trying to fix it.
Whether you are going 71 or 90, you are still breaking the law if the speed limit is 70.

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
4robbins - I feel your pain. I remember the days when you could walk your dogs on the beach in Grayton, swim in the Gulf and Western lake without getting violently ill with diarrhea and vomiting from high fecal matter in the water. I've owned a lot there for 10 years with the dreams of building my retirement home. I have decided to move on to a totally dog friendly beach - no permits, no particular times to walk your dog, but, yes, a leash law. When our family was there in June, the guy with the standup board pick-up let his dog out of the truck and he ran around like a maniac, digging holes in the sand, no leash at around 2:00 p.m. Go figure!!!!!!!

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
Oh and I forgot to mention. Who let the chair rental people in Grayton? There are no condos to speak of there. They won't even let you set up near the water. We beat them out there one morning and they wanted us to move!

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
I am not a dog owner any more and never took our dog on vacations but here is a thought. Why not have the proper authorities issue a temporary dog permit to vacationers along with a pamphlet with all rules and charge $10.00 to $20.00 per week. Think of the revenue this would generate. The renter would have to be fully aware of all rules and if in violation, there would be a fine and the permit revoked. Just sayin!!!