• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
And who is going to police this? Before you know it the dogs will be running off the leash, poop will be everywhere and visitors who either are afraid of dogs or just want to be left in peace are going to be put off. Too bad there are so many irresponsible owners.

groveral

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
birmingham
I am not a dog owner any more and never took our dog on vacations but here is a thought. Why not have the proper authorities issue a temporary dog permit to vacationers along with a pamphlet with all rules and charge $10.00 to $20.00 per week. Think of the revenue this would generate. The renter would have to be fully aware of all rules and if in violation, there would be a fine and the permit revoked. Just sayin!!!

Excellent idea!

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
visitors with dogs

Excellent idea!

Most beaches do not permit dogs, period. While I am very appreciative of the fact that your dogs were on leashes, I don't think we need to be encouraging more people to bring more dogs. I am a resident and have stopped purchasing a permit because of all the inconsiderate pet owners who think it is perfectly acceptable to let their dogs run loose on the beach. It is particularly irritating when these same people are carrying a leash but the dog is not on it. There were numerous incidents where these dogs went after mine. I am tired of the stupidity and laziness of these dogs owners. You can be certain if the County began issuing permits to the tourists, many of them would not follow the rules, and the County isn't going to bother to enforce them. Look at the stuff people leave on the beach overnight, which is against the rules.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Saw a dog on the beach the other evening running free and trailing his leash behind while the owners (I assume) stood nearby enjoying the sunset. I guess technically the dog was on the leash - where does it say someone has to be at the other end? Why is it those who don't live here, groveral, seem to think these sort of things are alright and the rest of us should just "get a life"? We had a pretty good life before so many of you started arriving and our leaders started chasing the almighty dollar. LEAVE YOUR DOGS AT HOME!!

Tourists are welcome. In my opinion, their dogs are not welcome on the beach. There would just be too many dogs. I think that tourists would be less likely to follow the rules than we residents/owners because we have to answer to our neighbors.

Plus I have found out since we sold our home in Seagrove that the number of pet-friendly rentals is limited, and they book up quickly. Thank goodness we close on the new house next month and can get our dog a new license. BTW I never let her off the leash on the beach.

Winelover

Beach Lover
Dec 31, 2011
If the county is not going to patrol the beaches....then as responsible, educated and concerned locals, we should approach the offenders and explain the laws on the spot. Education is key to everyone (4 legged and 2 legged) to enjoy our beaches and the freedoms that out county fights for.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I see unleashed dogs up and down the beach all day and then my leashed dogs get kicked off the beach after 4:00. If Walton County is going to have laws then they need to be enforced consistently. It's kind of like the speed limit. If you drive 75 in a 70 you're probably not going to get a ticket. If you drive 90 you're getting pulled over. I was driving 71 in a 70 and got pulled over.

4robbins, I understand your anger, but with respect to the speed limit analogy, maybe this helps. One time I was pulled over by a Georgia state trooper for speeding while in a group of cars going roughly the same speed. When I asked why he was ticketing me when there were others going the same speed or faster, he just said "Son, when you're shooting at a flock of birds, it doesn't much matter which one you hit."

For a while I was angry too, but over time I realized he'd given me a valuable lesson. Flocking may provide coverage, but it is not a defense. In the long run, this is probably a good thing.

4robbins, I understand your anger, but with respect to the speed limit analogy, maybe this helps. One time I was pulled over by a Georgia state trooper for speeding while in a group of cars going roughly the same speed. When I asked why he was ticketing me when there were others going the same speed or faster, he just said "Son, when you're shooting at a flock of birds, it doesn't much matter which one you hit."

For a while I was angry too, but over time I realized he'd given me a valuable lesson. Flocking may provide coverage, but it is not a defense. In the long run, this is probably a good thing.
I've also heard the fishing analogy. You won't catch all of the fish, but hopefully you'll catch a few.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
I once heard a judge speaking before a group who described it like this...

The law is intended to be "just." Just is not necessarily "fair." If you get ticketed for doing the same thing everyone else is doing, that is not fair. But it is just--because you were, after all, still breaking the law.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Saw a dog on the beach the other evening running free and trailing his leash behind while the owners (I assume) stood nearby enjoying the sunset. I guess technically the dog was on the leash - where does it say someone has to be at the other end? Why is it those who don't live here, groveral, seem to think these sort of things are alright and the rest of us should just "get a life"? We had a pretty good life before so many of you started arriving and our leaders started chasing the almighty dollar. LEAVE YOUR DOGS AT HOME!!

This kind of comments make me angry. Our tourist dollars brings a huge amount of revenue to the panhandle. We bring our dog with us. We do not take him on the beach. However, when we used to rent the same place every year in Inlet Beach, the people in the next building of townhouses always had their dogs with them. They owned the unit they stayed in. Their dogs were off leash on the beach and messing on the beach right in front of us. The owner did clean it up but what's the difference? A dog on the beach is a dog on the beach! Tourist or resident/owner!