• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
i'm showing my ignorance here...but hey, we're all family right? Why is it called "Invest" 94?:dunno:

Because it's an area NHC is "Invest"igating for possible development.

And the numbers are always Ninety-something, don't ask me why. So there can be multiple 92s in a given hurricane season, but only one 92 at at time.

Last edited:

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Tallahassee NWS:

.SHORT TERM...
(TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY) THERE IS BETTER AGREEMENT AMONG THE
LATEST GLOBAL MODELS THAN 24 HOURS AGO. ALL THE GUIDANCE TAKES FAY
ON YET ANOTHER LEG ACROSS LAND...THIS TIME NORTH FL. A CONSENSUS
OF THE GFS...UKMET...ECMWF...AND GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN TAKES THE
CENTER OF FAY INTO APALACHEE BAY FRIDAY MORNING...THEN ALONG OR
JUST SOUTH OF THE FL PANHANDLE COAST THIS WEEKEND. THIS TRACK
WOULD BE SLIGHTLY SOUTH OF THE 15 UTC NHC TRACK...BUT NOT BY MUCH.
IT IS POSSIBLE FAY COULD STRENGTHEN BACK INTO A TROPICAL STORM
(ASSUMING IT WEAKENS TO A DEPRESSION OVER NORTH FL) FRIDAY IF IT
MOVES FAR ENOUGH OUT OVER THE GULF...BUT WOULD LIKELY NOT HAVE
ENOUGH TIME TO STRENGTHEN MUCH. WE STILL THINK THE MAIN THREAT
FROM THIS SYSTEM WILL BE HEAVY RAIN...ALTHOUGH WE DO NEED THE
RAIN. THE FOLLOWING ARE A FEW FORECAST STORM TOTAL RAINFALL
AMOUNTS FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY...

TALLAHASSEE FL.......6 TO 8 INCHES
DOTHAN AL............3 TO 5 INCHES
ALBANY GA............2 TO 4 INCHES
VALDOSTA GA..........3 TO 5 INCHES
CROSS CITY FL........8 TO 11 INCHES
PANAMA CITY FL.......6 TO 8 INCHES

OF COURSE...LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE DEPENDING ON HOW
THE STRUCTURE OF CHANGES. A TORNADO OR TWO WILL ALSO BE
POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY IF FAY MAINTAINS A HEALTHY WIND CORE.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Other areas, like the Pacific Ocean, use different Invest #s, so I'm guessing that the regions of the world are assigned unique numbers.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Looks like I need to dig out the umbrellas, raincoats, boots, buckets- what else do we need for a lot of rain?

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Looks like I need to dig out the umbrellas, raincoats, boots, buckets- what else do we need for a lot of rain?

I would agree with this, and you should always have a couple of tarps ready in case you spring a leak from a falling tree branch. As of this morning's guesstimate, it looks like you are getting a visitor on Sat. night.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Jdarg, umbrellas are useless, and dangerous, with 40mph wind.

Tarps -- I have a few, but they always manage to get holes in them. Small diameter cord is also needed to help hold said tarps in place, and duct tape is always good to have on hand.

BeachSi02, any more southern projection path from your guys, yet? I see NOAA has brought their projection path more to the south, right over SoWal. If that storm gets over water in the big bend, the entire Panhandle could be in for a real doozie.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Jdarg, swimsuits are a must for mucho rain, as are warm towels. Please remember that if you go out during or AFTER the storm, take close inspection of your surroundings. Most people get injured after the storms, because they don't take notice of potential safety hazards, such as downed power lines, dangling limbs, those hard green pine cones, etc. Always take FULL notice of your surroundings before venturing out. Bike helmets, for venturing into a yard with those big green pinecones, are a must!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Jdarg, swimsuits are a must for mucho rain, as are warm towels. Please remember that if you go out during or AFTER the storm, take close inspection of your surroundings. Most people get injured after the storms, because they don't take notice of potential safety hazards, such as downed power lines, dangling limbs, those hard green pine cones, etc. Always take FULL notice of your surroundings before venturing out. Bike helmets, for venturing into a yard with those big green pinecones, are a must!

There must be a story about big green pinecones?

I am more concerned that our yard will look and sound like that movie filmed at Eden- 'Frogs". Last November, when we had 15 inches in the rain gauge, and last February, when we had 11 or 12 inches, the whole neighborhood was Frogtown. The ground was literally moving. The noise was deafening!