• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
What about a drawing of a parking space, or would that be too unrealistic?

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Did anyone vote for that one? Show that logo by itself to a thousand people and ask what they see and I would be surprised if one person said "sand dune and ocean wave."

30aconcerned

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2012
Did anyone vote for that one? Show that logo by itself to a thousand people and ask what they see and I would be surprised if one person said "sand dune and ocean wave."

It looks like a squiggly eyebrow and a mustache. Hey, let's head down to the South Walton ???? !! Well the good thing is it will not promote more "tourism". Looks like this one backfired on the TDC.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I don't think anyone was happy with the logo as presented at the BCC Meeting last night... Even the ones who voted for it. Also, everyone talks about preserving the quality of life that SoWal is rapidly losing and then all the TDC Bagby guy could talk about was building more "commuter"parking lots north of 30-A to "bus" in more tourists to the grossly overcrowded beaches. He was real proud about the huge increase of tourists to the beaches this year. I guess his incentive plan is based on that. You can't convince me that the TDC gives a damn about the quality of life in SoWal.

Even if the tourists stopped increasing it would still be necessary, that or more parking by the beach which is extremely limited.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I thought everyone voted for the umbrellas? Who would have voted for anything else, especially not that awful hotel brand, or soap brand logo? WTH? Twenty bucks that the vote didn't really matter.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
At the Aug. 5 TDC meeting they presented the results of the surveys and research they did on the logo options. Will see if I can attach. It was a split 3-2 vote to approve the recommended logo at last night's county commission meeting.

Attachments

• 11 a South Walton Preliminary Logo Report-for CEO Forum 7 30 2014.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 170

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Thanks for posting the study pdf. Although it includes some research it looks like the conclusions are more like the opinions of one or two people.

I will echo the statement made here that there are a few local excellent designers who could do a much better job. They would do a lot more work and "research" on designs before ever presenting them to anyone.

This is not a weekend project for a popsicle stand, this is a for a billion-dollar brand. It should be a long term project with a lot of thought for something that should last for generations. Seems like someone is very keen on "out with old" no matter the cost. This is the kind of mistake that causes heads to roll.

View attachment 37441

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Let me say this as simply and succinctly as I can. The logo selection made was stupid! The umbrellas were much more indicative of the South Walton area.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
You're welcome. It has been an interesting process to observe, and there have been a lot of different opinions. At the county commission meeting this week the TDC director said he had been for another option, the modified single umbrella. Commissioner Meadows pointed out that the logo had been arrived at through a democratic process.
Beginning last year The TDC Marketing Committee began looking at the current logo and what changes should be made. It was on their agenda for several meetings, I understand. This is a community-based committee that holds meetings that are open to the public. The logo was also on the TDC agenda a number of times. The Marketing Committee's recommendation was brought before the TDC on Aug. 5 along with the report on the research and surveys. The committee's recommendation had been arrived at with several dissenting votes, I believe it was reported, and it was for the Sun Wave as top choice followed by the modified single umbrella. The committee recommendation was approved by the TDC, but that vote as well was not unanimous. So that resulted in the recommendation for the Sun Wave being brought before the county commission this week. The TDC director's comment was, "We could look at those things for 10 years and nobody would ever agree."

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Thanks for posting the study pdf. Although it includes some research it looks like the conclusions are more like the opinions of one or two people.

I will echo the statement made here that there are a few local excellent designers who could do a much better job. They would do a lot more work and "research" on designs before ever presenting them to anyone.

This is not a weekend project for a popsicle stand, this is a for a billion-dollar brand. It should be a long term project with a lot of thought for something that should last for generations. Seems like someone is very keen on "out with old" no matter the cost. This is the kind of mistake that causes heads to roll.

View attachment 37441

I agree with all that you said (I couldn't open attachment), except the last line. I don't think "heads will roll", but a whole of eyes are rolling in their heads.