• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

booya

Beach Comber
Mar 17, 2008
Below is factual information and comparison of local law enforcement in Walton County and the City of DeFuniak Springs. It shows budget cost, crime stats and attrition rates. The truth is very interesting.

Budget comparison for Law Enforcement in Walton County

Total 2008 Walton County SO budget is $15,053,110.00

Total 2007 population living in the county was 51,805

• This equates to $290,572.53 spent per 1000 citizens for law enforcement by the WaltonCountySO.
Total 2008 DeFuniak Springs PD budget is $1,746,480.00

Total 2007 population living in DeFuniak Springs was 5,288

• This equates to $330,272.31 spent per 1000 citizen for law enforcement by the DeFuniak Springs PD.
It is easy to see that the DeFuniak Springs PD spends $39,699.78 per 1000 citizens more than the SO does.

We all know that Johnson has not been a fiscal conservative of county taxpayer money, but if that is so then Adkinson is horrendous. He has a lot higher budget per citizen than the SO.

All above data can be proven by visiting the below websites and page numbers:

ftp://gisftp.co.walton.fl.us/County_Website/OMB/08/FY%2008%20Approved%20Budget.pdf (page 9)

http://www.defuniaksprings.net/budgetexpenditures07-08.pdf (page 5)

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FSAC/UCR/2007/CoMuOff2007annual.pdf (page 67)

Comparison of 2007 Crime in the County against 2007 Crime in the City

(How is this wasteful spending Adkinson is doing working?)

MAJOR CRIME NUMBERS FOR WCSO

? Forcible Rapes 4?or 1 for every 12,951 citizens
? Robbery 5 ? or 1 for every 10,361 citizens
? Agg Assault 80 ? or 1 for every 648 citizens
? Burglary 179 ? or 1 for every 289 citizens
? Larceny 756 ? or 1 for every 69 citizens

MAJOR CRIME NUMBERS FOR DFSPD

? Forcible Rapes 2? or 1 for every 2,644 citizens
? Robbery 7 ? or 1 for every 755 citizens
? Agg Assault 44 ? or 1 for every 120 citizens
? Burglary 71 ? or 1 for every 74 citizens
? Larceny 109 ? or 1 for every 48 citizens

When looking at this data it is easy to see that the law enforcement services provided by the DFSPD which cost taxpayers $39,699.78 more per 1000 citizens is inferior (worse) even though it cost more.

All the above data on population and crimes can be proven by visiting the below website:

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FSAC/UCR/2007/CoMuOff2007annual.pdf (page 67)

How Walton County and City Law Enforcement Attrition (officers leaving) rate compares to the state average

The WaltonCounty Sheriff?s Office had a 2007 officer population of 141

The WaltonCounty Sheriff?s Office had a 2007 officer attrition of 21

• This shows that the Walton County Sheriff?s Office had an attrition rate of 15% or 1.5 officers out of every 10 leave.
  • The average attrition rate for Sheriff?s Offices in Florida is 5% which is 10% lower than the Walton County SO.
To many officers are leaving the SO

The DeFuniak Springs Police Department had a 2007 officer population of 18

The DeFuniak Springs Police Department had a 2007 officer attrition of 5

• This shows that the DeFuniak Springs Police Department had an attrition rate of 28% or 2.8 officers out of every 10 leave or more than one in every four.
  • The average attrition rate for police departments in Florida is 7.5% which is 20.5% lower than the DFSPD.
DeFuniak Springs Police Department has a much larger attrition problem.

All the above data on officer population and attrition can be proven by visiting the below websites:

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/cjap/2007/demographics/demo_so_le.html (SO Officer Population)
http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/cjap/2007/statistics/attr_so_le.html (SO Attrition)

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/cjap/2007/demographics/demo_pd.html (PD Officer Population)
http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/cjap/2007/statistics/attr_pd.html (PD Attrition)

CONCLUSION

DeFuniak Springs Police Department under the management of Michael Adkinson Jr. spends more money per citizen for law enforcement services, has more crime per citizen and even has a higher attrition (officer leaving) rate than the Walton County Sheriff?s office does. We need a change in Walton County but Adkinson is not the change we need. Check the facts out and become an informed voter.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It sounds as though you think that law enforcement's job is to prevent crime. If a district has more crime, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that it would cost more to police that area? Walton County has much rural land, and it doesn't cost as much to patrol rural areas as it does more dense populations. Your comparison sure looks like some statistics, but comparing a City's cost to a County's cost is not apples to apples.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Since you seem to have good sources, I would love to see a breakdown of how many calls/dispatches each area averages.

I don't think per resident is a very accurate way to compare the two considering how many visitors and tourists we get.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Since you seem to have good sources, I would love to see a breakdown of how many calls/dispatches each area averages.

I don't think per resident is a very accurate way to compare the two considering how many visitors and tourists we get.

That's probably on the Uniform Crime Report as well. When I was a dispatcher we had to document EVERYTHING for this report :bang:...15 yrs. ago.

I just looked at it, and my bad, it DOES NOT have number of calls recieved. The radio logs are probably public information though...

Last edited:
It sounds as though you think that law enforcement's job is to prevent crime. If a district has more crime, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that it would cost more to police that area? Walton County has much rural land, and it doesn't cost as much to patrol rural areas as it does more dense populations. Your comparison sure looks like some statistics, but comparing a City's cost to a County's cost is not apples to apples.
My friend, all the tv shows tell us that law enforcement's mission is to "protect and Serve." :D The "protect" part of "protect and serve" certainly indicates that one of law enforcements functions is to prevent crime.:clap: They always tell us when they have their hand out at budget meetings that more police on the streets means less crime.:eek: So, I would expect higher spending to equate to lower crime, which in DeFuniak Springs is surely not the case.:dunno: The comparison did not include how WCSD does against the state averages, but I bet they are not doing so hot either for the money they spend.:rotfl: Another fact that I have seen elsewhere is that both WCSD and DFSPD have far higher officer ratios than the state average. Yet I have not heard one candidate speak about possibly cutting back and easing our tax burden.:dunno: Finally, the attrition rate of both departments is higher than the state average and that is a red flag to any objective person. I think the Daily News has exposed in detail why WCSD has problems, but someone should tell us why the DFSPD has the same issues.:dunno: I for one would like to thank Booya for bringing proveable facts to the discussion so that we can begin to cut through the political slogans and partisan bickering and talk about the substanative issues.:clap:

HenryHawk

Beach Comber
Aug 5, 2008
Walton County
I, as well, would like to thank the person that posted these facts.
Adkinson's campaign is being run on his claimed fiscal conservative ideology. This report sheds some doubt in that area, does it not?

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Idlewind, how many rapes do police officers prevent? How many murders do officers prevent. How many break ins do they prevent. I don't care what TV cops jobs are, but I can tell you that police may try to be proactive, but the officers typically show up to investigate crimes AFTER the crime has been committed. That is the biggest reason to learn how to protect yourself and your family and neighbors. When you call the cops, they have to drive to your house before they can do anything, and that is usually too late for prevention.

drivingthru

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2008
Robberies burglaries and larcenies are more "preventable" than are rapes and assaults. This is done through proactive, responsible law enforcement. Consider this...A seasoned police officer has more street knkowledge than your every day rookie and has learned what looks right and what doesnt, and who the players are and where they live. When an agency has alot of turn over (attrition) then you lose those streetwise officers and many are replaced by those that are just beginning their career. I believe attrition can play a huge role in crime stats. Its a vicious circle sometimes isnt it?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Average family income in DFS in 2000- $28,750
Per capita income in DFS in 2000- $13,298

Median family income for Walton County in 2000- $37,663
Per capita income for Walton County in 2000- $18,198

There's simply more crime in lower income areas, especially low income areas with higher population density. So it's to be expected that DFS will need a higher level of police service and will see a higher level of crime than the county as a whole.