• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Magee

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2011
Miramar Beach Florida
I think the addition of a county-owned fishing pier here would be an excellent addition to South Walton. I am not in favor with County tax dollars building on a state park. The majority of the state parks charge you to enter which then eliminates usage of the county-owned pier.

The solution would be for the county to purchase property to build and also put adequate parking. My recommendation would be a parking garage going up not spreading out. The fishing pier will also be a draw for other businesses for economic growth.

There are many organizations currently trying to work to teach our young residents how to fish again this would be an excellent opportunity for them.

But definitely not on state park property.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
But where would the County look for the property and the funds that everyone would agree to? If the argument is, well it's just not ideal to have the State operate a public fishing pier then okay what is ideal. I could be wrong but I don't think the county is motivated in buying property and building a fishing pier. So if you support a fishing pier we may have to accept something less than ideal because it comes down to funding.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Plenty of piers within easy driving distance argue against the money, resources and environmental impact involved with this project. " NOPE"
Are you talking about Pier Park? The distance is 54 miles one way from Defuniak Springs which is over 100 miles both ways and about 2 hours driving time. I'm glad you brought up the environmental impact. It seems we use the environmental impact argument when we don't want something but if we want something we use the economic argument. We are talking about putting hooks in the water off shore while standing on a platform built on pilings. Not building over dunes like all the structures along the beach. Not putting in septic tanks. Not throwing hooks and bait into the water where people swim. There must be some other reason for not supporting a pier. Could it be that we just don't want certain people to have the opportunity to enjoy fishing offshore that can't otherwise afford a charter or a boat? I do agree about the cost and that it why it makes sense to put at Topsail or some other State Park.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
From Defuniak you are going to save how many miles going to Topsail rather than Pier Park? I guess Skunk Ape was thinking about the locals, the residents of the community you would like to put an eyesore in, so you can dangle a hook maybe four times a year. I wonder if you would like a NASCAR speedway across the street from your house. A ludicrous analogy? NOPE.

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Okay the eyesore argument is ludicrous when you compare a fishing pier to a structure that blocks our views completely like a condo. You are kidding about the Nascar speedway analogy and the distance between Defuniak and Topsail compared to the distance between Defuniak and Pier Park right? I use google maps by the way. Lets try to be more civil when debating an issue. If you don't want a fishing pier just take the survey and vote no. If you want to debate the issue then give me a better argument against a fishing pier or just be honest about why you prefer not to mix with the type of people who like to fish...from a pier...in the ocean...away from the beach...not bothering anyone...not blocking your views...and not polluting the water...

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Okay the eyesore argument is ludicrous when you compare a fishing pier to a structure that blocks our views completely like a condo. You are kidding about the Nascar speedway analogy and the distance between Defuniak and Topsail compared to the distance between Defuniak and Pier Park right? I use google maps by the way. Lets try to be more civil when debating an issue. If you don't want a fishing pier just take the survey and vote no. If you want to debate the issue then give me a better argument against a fishing pier or just be honest about why you prefer not to mix with the type of people who like to fish...from a pier...in the ocean...away from the beach...not bothering anyone...not blocking your views...and not polluting the water...
Yes those types are so gauche.