• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Based on the NWF Daily News, I was under the impression that the 30% requirement to go for a vote had been met. That could be incorrect but that was how I understood it.

I understand that enough Deputies had shown interest for the PBA to send representatives to meet with those interested in getting more info and that is scheduled for later this week at the WCSO. I was not able to get any info from the PBA spokesperson as they were in Pensacola to see Mrs. Obama today, so, their information could very well be correct..But I did understand from those I spoke with that this was in the very early stages.

ShallowsFuzz

Beach Lover
Dec 26, 2006
Point Washington
I understand that enough Deputies had shown interest for the PBA to send representatives to meet with those interested in getting more info and that is scheduled for later this week at the WCSO. I was not able to get any info from the PBA spokesperson as they were in Pensacola to see Mrs. Obama today, so, their information could very well be correct..But I did understand from those I spoke with that this was in the very early stages.

I work at the SO and I just recently found out about this and no one as asked me for my vote, either for or against. I do hope that at some point everyone will get that oppurtuninty to edcuate themselves about it. We need to make sure this is right for all of us because once it is done, it's done for three years. I believe the timing of this sends a message of haste and I believe we should make sure of the true motives behind this. I don't believe I would have a problem with it but I want to know what is involved.

I sure wished it had been around in August of 2003.:wave:

WCcitizens

Beach Lover
Mar 25, 2008
Miramar Beach
This whole ordeal reaks of bovine excrement. Ralph is no more worried about his deputys than the man in the moon.
The only reason this is started is.......the deputys in Al, Baker, Chipley, Niceville, Crestview and everywhere else are worried they aren't going to be able to drive their cars out of the county.

Why didn't the WCSO unionize after Quinn? I mean Ralph demoted everyone above a Sgt after he was elected.
I can answer why the WCSO never unionized before.......if they had, Ralph couldn't hire an uncertified plumber as the LT, he couldn't have promoted his "lady friend" from dispatcher to Capt in the jail, and couldn't have brought in a baffoon from Al for his #2 position over investigations.

Whoever wins the race, doesn't need to be held down to a contract agreed upon with a lame duck sheriff.

Whichever one takes over needs to do some major overhauling, or it won't be any better than it is now.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
WC
Please read the other post. I don't think a contract could be ironed out in such a short time. As far as Deputies driving their ASSIGNED Vehicles home that may be a negotiated item. I think the Deputies are looking to protect themselves. If you find that RJ has a hand in the Unionization effort, paperwork, witnesses willing to testify, let me know, I'll file a complaint with the State. Your last statement about "Major Overhauling" is what concerns me. Both Mike and Danny said they did not have a problem with the Unionization effort, Mike is the only one who did not like the timing or the fact he might have to deal with a contract by a LAME DUCK Sheriff. Maybe the Deputies should put all the parts in place and be ready to sit down at the table when the new Sheriff rides in. I'll venture to guess this scenerio is more likely than yours. Hope your not one of the cronies who may not get a job/ promotion. Also the the State Law advised the EMPLOYEES have a right to organize. Sorry it doesn't fit your time table or era, I am just glad they are finally trying.
GOOOOO PBA!

Shallow, You'll have your opportunity to vote. http://www.flpba.org/bargaining.php.
This sites explains the steps.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Looks to me like Union pensions are going under. Do you know the current stats. on the amount of union pension retirement plans that are not capable of performing in the long term?

Unless you're in a specific municiplaity that opts out of the system, all Florida state and almost all local employees, unionized or not, fall under the Florida Retirement System umbrella, and that would not change if the SO unionized.

And even with the current bad markets, FRS is in a relatively good poistion. For several years, it's been the only state pension plan in the country that's considered to be properly funded enough to be fully solvent.

Last edited:

crazytimes

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008
I for one hope that

they at some point will not be able to drive out of the county. There has been a few that moved into the county than they changed it, and thats not right. And driving out of state is even worse.

This whole ordeal reaks of bovine excrement. Ralph is no more worried about his deputys than the man in the moon.
The only reason this is started is.......the deputys in Al, Baker, Chipley, Niceville, Crestview and everywhere else are worried they aren't going to be able to drive their cars out of the county.

Why didn't the WCSO unionize after Quinn? I mean Ralph demoted everyone above a Sgt after he was elected.
I can answer why the WCSO never unionized before.......if they had, Ralph couldn't hire an uncertified plumber as the LT, he couldn't have promoted his "lady friend" from dispatcher to Capt in the jail, and couldn't have brought in a baffoon from Al for his #2 position over investigations.

Whoever wins the race, doesn't need to be held down to a contract agreed upon with a lame duck sheriff.

Whichever one takes over needs to do some major overhauling, or it won't be any better than it is now.

crazytimes

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008
The way I understand it the new sheriff

demotes/fire them because usally he wants ones in there that he can trust and as we know alot are not trusting. Any place brings in their own people all the way up to the president.

My personal view is that a new Sheriff should be able to place his own top people. I would have to know how many, Lieutenants there are in the department and how many ranks above it there are. I would suspect that LT's would be considered supervisory and should be part of the supervisory unit. I mean you have 200 some odd employees, how many people should he have to fire to bring in his own people. Oh and don't say the new Sheriff won't fire anyone, because he has to make room for those at the top to go to the lower positions. And what would really be wrong with replacing maybe 3 of the top slots and leaving the rest in place and give them the guidance that the new Sheriff wants and give them the opportunity to perform. These are professional men and women and to have a professional department would seem you would want some continuity in the chain of command. Unfortunately that might hinder the paybacks for support that always come. Fairness is all I am seeking. I also realize there will be some folks who will leave on their own accord but with the tight economic times it may be less likely.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am a little leery of unions, as they tend not to have the citizen's interests/budgets as their highest priority and make it difficult to get rid of someone who is not doing their job.

Think we can all agree that major changes are needed in the Sheriff's department, but it seems that the biggest complaints would be covered by existing anti-discrimination & employment laws.

I got edumacated as to why deputies may need to drive their vehicles home (as they are still required to answer calls off the clock), but why the heck would they need to drive them out of county, let alone out of state? :dunno:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Outside the county is home in some cases. My neighborhood's on the Okaloosa side of the Walton County line by less than a mile, and there's a WCSO car frequently enough parked at a house a couple streets over that I assume an officer lives there.