• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Timing is everything

Dear Walton County Deputies and Citizens of Walton County:

I have sat quietly and ?watched? after the primary election. I am very happy for all of us that the current Sheriff (R. Johnson) has been voted out of office by the citizens. This was the first step in the healing and repair of our local law enforcement.

A very qualified candidate has won the Republican nomination for Sheriff that is Mike Adkinson. Since Mike?s election to the ticket, he has provided a solid plan for rebuilding and restructuring. Then, along came a spider?

I will not tell you that I know Danny G (Democratic Candidate) personally, but I have worked with him and met him on several occasions, he?ll probably not remember. Danny is a fine officer and that is as much as I know. What I have heard is very disturbing. Prior to making any posts, I spoke to several people who are involved in both sides of the campaign and I have been able to make my own decision as to what is truth and what is fiction.

I do believe that Ralph Johnson is involved in Danny G.?s campaign, I do not know the extent, but ANY involvement from this saboteur is enough to make me cringe. Ralph Johnson has single-handily destroyed Walton County Law Enforcement. I know of key witnesses in high profile cases who have refused to speak to WCSO because they ?do not trust the department?. He fired two women for being pregnant and now that he has been voted out of office, he continues to try and leave his footprints all over the backs of the deputies and the Republican Candidate, Mike Adkinson.

This most recent turn of events involving the proposed Union (Florida Police Benevolent Association ? PBA) is something that should have been undertaken years ago, back in Ralph?s hey-day of mismanagement, lack of training, lack of credibility, and unfair treatment of officers (overtime/comp time payment being one). Why does everyone suddenly have the ?stones? to want to unionize now that Ralph is going out of office? I find it very suspect that now that Mike A. is set to take over the agency (He will win the election and he has my full support), Ralph and Danny both support the PBA coming to town and representing the officers. The timing of this stinks and there is no way that Ralph would have every allowed anyone to even talk about a union under his roof. Any organizer would have been terminated immediately, just like the pregnant women and those leaders who attempted to reach out the SWFD and other groups. It?s all about EGO and Ralph cannot stand to see Mike Adknison get elected to the Office of Sheriff. This stems from a long drawn out witch hunt/quest by Ralph Johnson to ?bust? one of Mike?s family members, his Uncle. I clearly recall hearing about a ?questionable? deputy conducting a traffic stop on the Uncle and then clearly violating his rights by having him wait on scene, for upwards of 20 minutes after the stop was terminated, for a drug K-9 to arrive and walk the car. His blind ambition made him loose contact with what our Sheriff is sworn to protect, our rights, person and property. This is a very dangerous agenda to have.

This personal vendetta has continued to where Ralph is now stumping about for the Democratic Candidate and his name is tied every which way with Danny G. This has been confirmed to me by several members of the department. Why else would Ralph support a Union, he is on the way out (lame duck)? He wants to protect a select few employees that have remained loyal to him and his follies. If a Union representation is successful, it makes it very difficult to remove employees, even though most of those Ralph is looking to protect are poor performers and need to move on. They have created the lowest level of morale the department has seen in years. They use their foul mouths to utter curses at employees and speak to them in a manner so low, it is hurtful.

Danny G. would be smart to support the PBA, he has no management background and he needs all the ?free? help he can get to try negotiate budgets, etc. Who better then to be a squeaky wheel in the ears of the Commissioners and other County Managers then the PBA? I can see why he?d support this current activity.

It is a very sad state when our officers feel they must unionize to protect themselves. They have a new leader coming on board in a few months and they need to give that leader every opportunity to make good on their campaign promises and platforms. Then, and only if things fall into despair as they have under the current administration, they should consider the process.

Let me say this about the PBA. Any officer can join as an individual. You get pre-paid legal and good advice about ?sticky? situations and a nice news letter each month. If the department as a whole (51%) allows the PBA to ?represent? them as a whole, they give up any dialogue with the sheriff and with the county. PBA takes over and if anyone thinks that they (PBA) have the ability to get our deputies more money, they are sadly mistaken. Ralph spent it all. Deputies would be better off spending $30-40 per month to hire an attorney and seek civil damages against Ralph Johnson for the mismanagement his administration has caused. They could also attempt to obtain the legal documents that pertain to the several investigations that have been conducted into the alleged wrong-doings of the administration over the past year, FDLE for one.

I am very disgusted at this current situation. It is very apparent to me that Ralph Johnson will stop at nothing to undermine the Republican Candidate and our next Sheriff, Mike Adkinson. I wish more people would realize that this sort of behavior is what put or local law enforcement into the toilet years ago and this continued behavior is unproductive and unacceptable, to me, as a tax payer and a citizen of Walton County, Florida.

Make the smart choice; make the right choice for Walton County Sheriff ? Vote for Mike Adkinson (Republican) on November 4th 2008.

W:cool:

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Right on the $$$

That?s not exactly how I interrupted the interview. From my view the main question by Adkinson was WHY. Why now, why didn?t Ralph do this 8 years ago for the deputies if it was such a grand idea. Why would an out going "Lame Duck" sheriff try to push this through before he goes out. Ralph has had no allegiance to any of his people up til now, so were suppose to believe he has done this out of the goodness of his heart, I doubt that one very seriously.

I am quite sure that the deputies are smart enough to do what is best for them, if that means unionizing then so be it, if not then that?s their decision. What?s the reason for trying to run it down their throats FF2?

You are 110% correct in your post. This is only R.J. trying to stick it to Mike. Either way, Danny wins on this one. If the PBA comes in, he gets "free" help, if they don't, it makes things very difficult for Mike, prior to the election.

I think looking at the improvements of DFS PD is a good marker for Mikes success with regards to moving the bar forward. Do the DFS PD employees feel like they need a Union?

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Another good point

This whole ordeal reaks of bovine excrement. Ralph is no more worried about his deputys than the man in the moon.
The only reason this is started is.......the deputys in Al, Baker, Chipley, Niceville, Crestview and everywhere else are worried they aren't going to be able to drive their cars out of the county.

Why didn't the WCSO unionize after Quinn? I mean Ralph demoted everyone above a Sgt after he was elected.
I can answer why the WCSO never unionized before.......if they had, Ralph couldn't hire an uncertified plumber as the LT, he couldn't have promoted his "lady friend" from dispatcher to Capt in the jail, and couldn't have brought in a baffoon from Al for his #2 position over investigations.

Whoever wins the race, doesn't need to be held down to a contract agreed upon with a lame duck sheriff.

Whichever one takes over needs to do some major overhauling, or it won't be any better than it is now.

You're assessment (boldface) is right on the money. To keep my response brief, the reason WCSO has not organized/unionized after Quinn is one word

FEAR

If Ralph will fire pregnant women, what else is he capable of??? There was/is an atmosphere of fear. Everyone at the SO knows what's going on, from the "lady friend" to the baffoon.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Watcher
As I have said before, maybe the Deputies did this on their own because they have seen what has happened in the past. You make it sound as if Mike is afraid of the protection organizing will provide to the Deputies. As I have said before, I do not foresee contract negotiations beginning before the new Sheriff starts. The only thing that may be stopped is the mass demotions the New Sheriff would have to implement to bring in the CRONIES. If either one of these Candidates were serious about change and creating a good department, then those professional that are there day in and day and aren't running for election should be left alone to work for their new boss. If you happen to be in a supervisory capacity then do your job as the New Sheriff wants it, the New Sheriff should tell the Taxpayers employees what he expects and give those folks the tools to accomplish the job. Then and only then if defiencies are found then corrective action should be taken. I know, thats a pipe dream because so many positions were promised to the good ol boys that it is just easier to blame it on the employees who want to show up to work and avoid the BS Politics and provide a good service to their ultimate bosses the Taxpayer. So Mike and Danny, your choice embrace the change or whine about it, I will support the Deputies, and if they vote Yes or No at least it will be a decision they get to make. Their voice will be heard.

redsox

Beach Comber
Jun 25, 2008
Congrats my fellow public servants. I want to encourage you to vote yes when the time comes. Don't let the comments sway you from protecting your job. I have read what Mike Adkinson has said and if he really had any realistic knowledge he would know that if he is elected he will be involved in the negotiations. At least he has said he is not ANTI-UNION which will concern the Republican Party which seems to have problems with UNIONS. Mike was even a member for 13 years, so hopefully, should he win the election, he will be more apt to work with LABOR than against them. Hopefully Danny will also be on thed same page as to working with LABOR than fighting with them. Had the politicians been addressing the concerns of those who worked for them maybe they would not be in this situation. Lets look at some events that may have caused the employees to consider UNIONIZING.
1> Being charged $100 a month for driving there vehicle home. I know that was recinded, but if they could have they would have.
2> Not being compensated for hours worked. As I understand, Deputies are compensated for overtime with Compensatory Time but are limited in using it which I understand that to be a violation of the FLSA. I had a friend who retired and had a large amount of comp time he lost when he retired. NOT FAIR TO HIM OR HIS FAMILY.
3> 2 Female Deputies basically terminated for being pregnant.
These are just the things that I know of and am sure there are other HORROR Stories going back farther than Ralph or even Quinn.
Brothers and Sisters, I'll stand with you for equitable treatment, fair pay and just cause. Take the politics out of who gets promoted, or who gets the plum assignments and at least start having a say in those things you can have a hand in changing.:D

FF2,
I know that you probably want to help with the people of the sheriff's office, with them making their decision. The sheriff's office is not the South Walton Fire Department. The Fire Department tries to bargin to get things. When you try to bargin in a sheriff's office, everything that you already have has to be put on the table. Everything has to be agreed by the union and the sheriff. If they both don't agree on a issue then the sheriff's office as a whole looses that item. The PBA is good for a police department where the officers do not have anything and they want to bargin to get things that they want ie ( take home cars, off duty details, etc.). The only people who I understand who want this union are the Ralph Rejects, that don't want to loose their rank or position. I also heard that they should not have been put in the positions that they are in. If they think that the PBA can help them get more money with the county commisioners, they are wrong. The county commisioners don't have to bargin with anyone. :wave: I feel that they should let the next sheriff that comes in ( Hopefully Mike Adkinson), show them what he is going to do before the Ralph Rejects screw everything up for all of the employees.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Well MM, I am just curious how all those other departments do things. You say it is the RJ rejects that are trying to protect their positions and you seem think to know how the system works. I am not an expert but my suggestion to you is go to the PERC website. To say the County Commissoner don't have to Bargain with anyone you would be incorrect again my friend. Walton County Fire Rescue has a Contract, Jacksonville Fire rescue which is a combined city/ county department has a contract, Polk County fire rescue has a contract, all County Departments to name a few. Obviously I am more aware of Fire Departments, but before I would say something as uninformed as that I would go to the PERC website and look around and see what you may learn for yourself. Heck heres a Telephone #, I think it still works, I haven't had to use it for a while, 1-850-488-8641. Here is the web site also for your perusal, http://perc.myflorida.com/ , I would suggest you read the news letter section it might help you with the process and the Florida Statutes, all right there for you to find.
I hope you are not a cronie waiting for a job for your support and really just wants whats best for the Deputies.
As for helping them, I have offered in the past with no takers, but I want them to know there are folks out here who will stand with them and without being intimidating allow them to make their own decision collectively.
Everyone of you guys who have opposed this organization process have made a statement about giving the new guy a chance. Great they give the new guy a chance and find themselves unemployed, screw that, politicians have screwed those Deputies every time the a new Shefiff has shown up promising change. Change from employed to unemployed or from a position of rank to a position of road deputy, Ask Mr. Chapman, he knows what its like and I'll bet it did not feel good. Wonder if he'll get his old job back in an Adkinson Administration? If you do Mr. Chapman, remember how you felt, and I sure wasn't a fan of Quinn, but you were screwed by RJ, and I screwed up on RJ the first 4 years, not the second, and for sure not the third. I really don't know about the guys I have to chose from now. So MM I hope this helps you, if the Deputies vote yeah or Nay I am good with that. What makes me more happy is the fact that at least they are going to discuss it. I like the idea, according to the DH/BB they are going to have a Q/A some they can be informed. In the end I hope they go Union but if not I will stand with them when and if they ever call.

Ralph is sticking it to the taxpayers once more for ole times sake by saddling us with a union to drive up costs and drive down productivity.:angry: Any business owner will tell you this is what unions bring to the table, but alas, very little of the increase in costs filter down to the rank and file.:bang:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: My head hurts, the information has been provided for you to look at, hardly any work has to be done on your part. Lots of point and click.
Talk to Deputies in Santa Rosa County, Escambia Counties. :D Thats better, moment of ZEN.:D

WhoDat1

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
PBA is the right thing to do now, eight years ago, twenty years ago.

If theres one thing I've learned about Walton County politics, its that fear and absolute power dictate how the Sheriff's Office is run. It also dictates how the law is applied (or not). Its time for this to end under the new Sheriff. While I believe Adkinson has a good vision, he IS considering dismissing people. The ultimate responsible party for the failure of Johnson's administration has already been dismissed. Johnson himself. Don't the deputies deserve a chance to prove that they CAN function appropriately under a funtional administration? I keep hearing that Adkinson wants the deputies to give him a chance before unionization. Can't he practice what he preaches and do the same for them?

Most progressive departments are either union or civil service. This takes politics out of hiring and firing, or at least minimizes it. It also limits political influence on promotions or demotions. Yes, its true it would protect four or five people who should probably be relieved of their positions. But it will protect the other 135 sworn officers as well. You have to take the bad with the good and take solace in the fact that the majority of these folks that SHOULD be dismissed will retire eventually and make way for GOOD officers. Those good officer's jobs will be protected from politics because of our forward thinking. This, however does NOT relieve the Sheriff from the authority to appoint non-sworn administrative staff and sworn positions from Chief Deputy down to captain.

I know first hand that a majority of the deputies in the south end WILL give the new Sheriff a professional product no matter what. I personally don't think they have the votes needed to form a collective bargaining unit. Too many of them are afraid to vote yes as there have already been folks intimidated against it. There were actually deputies that are against unionization taking names of those for it and marking them on a list. Who was the list for? We can only speculate. Sounds like something Johnson would've done, right? They also keep telling the deputies that they will have their cars taken away for doing this, and possibly lose other benefits. Really? Would the incoming Sheriff punish the deputies for taking a lawful labor action? Call it part of the "bargaining" if you want to, I call it punishment. The benefits they already have should be discussed, but not taken from them. Would the citizens stand by a Sheriff who did such thing? They did'nt in the primaries this year. :D Remember the FMLA issue and the pregnant deputies?

The public is not stupid. :bang: We realize Johnson initiated this to sabotage the new Sheriff, whoever that may be. But the majority of the folks that are for this are simply taking advantage of the moment. They legitimately want this. It is just unfortunate that it would protect some of those that would of themselves opposed this two years ago.:angry:

Adkinson will make a better Sheriff, of that I have no doubt. But he should consider how poorly the deputies have been treated for the last twenty-eight years with fear and intimidation before he thinks that this is all about him. It ain't. We don't even know him. We could care less about him and Ralph hating each other. We just want to do our jobs without fear of retribution. We want an equal shot at promotions and a fair shake in the face of disciplinary action. We want a livable wage in these high dollar zip codes we occupy. These are all things Adkinson says he wants as well. I think he should work with the bargaining unit, if its voted in, to bring these things to light.

And as for the person who thinks the Sheriff and County Commisioners don't have to negotiate with anyone...you need to do your homework. This ain't Hazard County anymore and its not the People's Republic of Walton County. What makes you think we're any better than Escambia, Santa Rosa, Miami-Dade...etc, etc...?:dunno: