• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Going to the PERC website and becoming informed is laughable.

Mr. Adkinson said in the paper that the Sheriff had the final say. I cannot believe he has not throughly researched the matter as it directly impacts how he can operate his department if elected.

The bottom line is that all indication are that this department is broke and needs major reform. Unions always try to hold the status quo. From what people tell me, status quo is the last thing that department needs.

redsox

Beach Comber
Jun 25, 2008
Idlewind, There is no other way to say this so, I apologize in advance if this offends you. You are just simply wrong about Public Service Unions driving up costs. I have seen and interacted with many people like you. You splatter our screens with your anti-union spam soup trying to make us believe that you have some real insight into this whole "union thing". Well, just so you know, anyone who has ever actually been present for Public Service Union negotiations thinks your dribble, disguised as union acumen is ridiculous and blindly prejudicial.:scratch:

Your comments remind me of a 12 year old boy who grew up in Forsythe Ga. who states that he hates black people when in fact, he's never even met a black person.:bang:

I have read and enjoyed many of your posts on the SoWal forum. So, I was a bit surprised to read that you are a Union bigot.

The point I was trying to get across to this thread in my last post (and many other threads and posts) is that THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE UNION AND A PRIVATE SECTOR UNION. Please do a little reading, some research. There is much you can learn that might be beneficial to your credibility on this subject.

We are not a pipe-fitters Union. We are not United Auto Workers. Because the PUBLIC IS OUR BOSS we are by nature, different than private sector Unions.

Again, I am sorry if this offends.

There is a big difference between a fire department and a sheriff's office. A deputy has a lot more to loose in a barginning situation, then a fire fighter does. Last time I checked a fire fighter did not drive his fire truck home, if that has changed please let me know. When a barginning agent and the sheriff does not agree about a issue the deputies do not get it. I hope you guys from the fire department would stop trying to push your opinion on the deputies, cause it is not wanted. This is a totally different situation then what you all deal with. And for FF 2 the county commsioners are the ones who hold the money and are the ones who say yes or no. Didn't you learn that when they did not give Ralph his $300,000+ that he so called needed. I remember them saying "NO".

"Cops don't carry hoses, they carry guns"

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Cleared up

Watcher, you are quite confusing to me. You express your support for the Deputies in one breath and in the next you say RJ's people have to go. At some point in time the change has to start and it ought to START NOW. Let the Deputies vote it up or down without all the intimidation from either MA or DG. Those cronies who are crying about the positions that they appear won't get there promised jobs maybe you should consider working your way up through the chain.

I talked to Sheriff McDaniel from Jackson county, he explained the way it is set up over there, the new Sheriff gets the top 2 or 3 people as his managment team. Why won't that work, oh I forget, it is called Cronism

Let me be clear as glass.

The people I refer to as "must go" are the sad excuses for leaders (top 2, 3, 4 ,5 people) in this department. The "feet on the street" officers do a great job. Several upper management have proven that they cannot think for themselves, thus they follow every and any "order" given by RJ, not thinking if they are violating ethics, doing something illegal, etc. Blind Faith in a leader is dangerous. These people are dangerous to keep around. The new sheriff needs to bring in his own people that he can trust and work with. That is my definition of "cleaning house". It happens all the time in an SO.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Fair enough, but how many folks do you really think are going to removed. I would not have a problem of the top 2 or 3 maybe 4, but I can't say that is where it will stop. It is a trust issue, that is why they should organize to protect themselves. Those that are determined via a PERC determination to be management will be considered At Will Employees. Protect the other guys. Chances are this will not happened and if it does without the Union, then I will be shocked.

SoWalProfire

Beach Lover
Jul 22, 2008
www.local3516.com
There is a big difference between a fire department and a sheriff's office. A deputy has a lot more to loose in a barginning situation, then a fire fighter does. Last time I checked a fire fighter did not drive his fire truck home, if that has changed please let me know. When a barginning agent and the sheriff does not agree about a issue the deputies do not get it. I hope you guys from the fire department would stop trying to push your opinion on the deputies, cause it is not wanted. This is a totally different situation then what you all deal with. And for FF 2 the county commsioners are the ones who hold the money and are the ones who say yes or no. Didn't you learn that when they did not give Ralph his $300,000+ that he so called needed. I remember them saying "NO".

"Cops don't carry hoses, they carry guns"

Mystery,

I apologize if my comments seemed aimed at putting words in your deputies mouths. I TOTALLY support you guys on the streets whatever you decide. And I am not attempting to encourage you to Unionize.

I was only attempting to point out that there seems to be alot of unwarranted and uneducated prejudice against Public Service Unions here.

You are absolutely right. I know there are alot of differences between a fire district and a sheriff's office. And I don't pretend to know enough about PBA or FOP to say that you should go with one or the other or not at all. I honestly feel that this is a decision that has to be made among sheriff's officers. That said, I implore you all to DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Learn as much as can be learned about how your decision will impact your future. Knowledge is power. Just, don't sell yourselves short by believing everything you hear. Until you read it for yourself in the official record and law, you don't know it's true. And relying on misinformation is dangerous and irresponsible.

I have met many of you. You all seem committed to doing the best job you are permitted to. I have no doubt that in the long run, your group will do what is best for you and the people you serve.

Oh, and thanks for having my back out there.

See you at the next one...

Idlewind, There is no other way to say this so, I apologize in advance if this offends you. You are just simply wrong about Public Service Unions driving up costs. I have seen and interacted with many people like you. You splatter our screens with your anti-union spam soup trying to make us believe that you have some real insight into this whole "union thing". Well, just so you know, anyone who has ever actually been present for Public Service Union negotiations thinks your dribble, disguised as union acumen is ridiculous and blindly prejudicial.:scratch:

Your comments remind me of a 12 year old boy who grew up in Forsythe Ga. who states that he hates black people when in fact, he's never even met a black person.:bang:

I have read and enjoyed many of your posts on the SoWal forum. So, I was a bit surprised to read that you are a Union bigot.

The point I was trying to get across to this thread in my last post (and many other threads and posts) is that THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE UNION AND A PRIVATE SECTOR UNION. Please do a little reading, some research. There is much you can learn that might be beneficial to your credibility on this subject.

We are not a pipe-fitters Union. We are not United Auto Workers. Because the PUBLIC IS OUR BOSS we are by nature, different than private sector Unions.

Again, I am sorry if this offends.

You are lucky I have a thick skin.:rotfl:
I am not a bigot, I am someone who has never had a positive experience with a union. My experience is they protect the bad, hamper improvement and endorse candidates I would not shake hands with and I get to pay for the privilege. If "public" ones are different than "private' then please accept my apology.:dunno:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Mystery Man
I've listed a Web Site and I put on a Telephone # and obviously you have failed to use it. So unless you are speaking for all 200 and some odd employees and can back it up you might want to avoid communicating because you are lacking. As far as me encouraging support for The Deputies, I have no regrets.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
i'm jumping in on this at the end and haven't read past more than the first couple of posts. So, isn't union organization a last resort effort to get some representation and solidarity when working conditions are so bad there's nowhere else to turn?

Now that ralph is on is way out will there still be a need to unionize? Won't Sheriff Griffith be able to restore the work environment back to a sane place where people actually want to go to work?

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
There is no Sheriff Griffith and there will not be. The new Sheriff in town on November 5th will be Sheriff Adkinson. The latest poll shows him waaaaaaay ahead.