• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Shame on you for making a post and then firing off when others weigh in with opinions different from your own.

I did not fire off on you because you had a different opinion I fired off on you because your "typical" opinion is always in support of anything "Sheriff" related.

I have not gone off on the Sheriff for the job his officers do, I have gone off on him because I believe that taxpayer money should not be used where personal responsibility and your own wallet should!! HUGE difference.

SoWal is not the only one suffering from a lack of good government and representation, this entire County is suffering so don't complain about what you ain't got when you sit back and say or do nothing when you get way more than you bargained for...(IE) an armored vehicle, 13 men to Houston, a fully equipped gym for the Sheriff's boys when pouring money into one service means something else is going to suffer! Folks in SoWal want a Sheriff's Dept. that's larger than life...you got it...don't complain that you don't get what else you want!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Most large corporations are able to justify the cost savings of a gym as insurance companies will give a break to them. In addition if you require a physical fitness requirement for employment you'd better provide a gym or an allowance to go to a gym, otherwise you'll be sued within an inch of your life.

I personally don't have a problem with the gym, but could we at least get a Deputies of Walton County beefcake calendar? *insert joke by Misty about finding 12 physically fit officers*

As to the video itself, WCSO has a full-time PR person. Would you prefer that person just sit around waiting to read a press release about a crime scene?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Most large corporations are able to justify the cost savings of a gym as insurance companies will give a break to them. In addition if you require a physical fitness requirement for employment you'd better provide a gym or an allowance to go to a gym, otherwise you'll be sued within an inch of your life.

I personally don't have a problem with the gym, but could we at least get a Deputies of Walton County beefcake calendar? *insert joke by Misty about finding 12 physically fit officers*

As to the video itself, WCSO has a full-time PR person. Would you prefer that person just sit around waiting to read a press release about a crime scene?

Actually, I'd just prefer that someone riding 14 miles a day was doing so on his own time and not the taxpayers dime.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Actually, I'd just prefer that someone riding 14 miles a day was doing so on his own time and not the taxpayers dime.

He's working at the same time! Would you be happy if the deputies stepped outside to breath free air?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
He's working at the same time! Would you be happy if the deputies stepped outside to breath free air?
That depends....which deputy?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'm not complaining. You are Misty. As I said previously, I'm grateful for good public safety programs. May they continue to work hard to protect our county. The sheriff's office is far from perfect but I've seen a lot of good things in South Walton where they go above and beyond, especially staying ahead of the problems that come with fast population growth and huge tourism. Makes a big difference to locals who live here. The deputies have a positive presence in our neighborhoods and community as a whole . I could pick out some issues about the sheriff and complain bitterly about them repeatedly on a community forum. But I have no real axe to grind as I am overall very thankful. In Walton County FL, our leadership comes in the form of excellent public safety and emergency response programs... It's a damn miracle. SWFD has always been highly professional and an excellent department, as long as I can remember. I'm pulling for the sheriff's office to keep up the good work and keep growing professionally as well. Other sheriff's offices in the panhandle have not been so productive and though they are doing the best in their political situations, they haven't been so successful, imo. Well see what the future holds in Walton County in future elections. That's my only real concern, as law enforcement programs are potentially politicized and compromised as a result of elections. Such is the risk with a County level sheriff office. You may be right to be concerned with the little things. But I am concerned with the overall antiquated process.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Let me repeat myself Teresa....
I have not gone off on the Sheriff for the job his officers do, I have gone off on him because I believe that taxpayer money should not be used where personal responsibility and your own wallet should!! HUGE difference.

SoWal is not the only one suffering from a lack of good government and representation, this entire County is suffering so don't complain about what you ain't got when you sit back and say or do nothing when you get way more than you bargained for...(IE) an armored vehicle, 13 men to Houston, a fully equipped gym for the Sheriff's boys when pouring money into one service means something else is going to suffer! Folks in SoWal want a Sheriff's Dept. that's larger than life...you got it...don't complain that you don't get what else you want!

You have also complained right here on this forum about what poor representation and the lack of good govt we have. Don't point fingers when you have done the same thing.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Matt wrote...
but could we at least get a Deputies of Walton County beefcake calendar?

Are you seriously giving the Sheriff ideas on how to waste even more taxpayer money?

It's not like he doesn't have a host of his own!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Well I'd hope something like that would be a fundraiser and not cost the taxpayers anything.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
I was rather surprised to see the desk bike riding, not quite sure how I feel about that. 14 miles isn't very far to ride a bike, (that's not even 2 hours at a slow pace), so they aren't getting much benefit and despite what they claim, they are distracted. That was one of the issues with the treadmill desks. Riding a bike to and from work or taking a spin class would be more effective and healthier.

Providing a gym or fitness facility is a no brainer though. Given the modern sedentary lifestyle and physical fitness requirements it's money well spent.