• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beach Crazy

cracker
Aug 19, 2005
Arkansas
jdarg said:
I have never assumed that anything would really be provided in a rental other than clean towels and sheets, 1 packet of dishwasher soap, a few rolls of TP, a few bars of hotle type soap, and 1 roll of paper towels. We have always brought/bought everything. My "beach list" is legendary. It is so lengthy it is embarrassing, and I get teased regularly by our friends. But who has the last laugh when someone wants wooden skewers? Or 3 different sizes of baggies? Or a church key and beer huggie?

Y'all are very nice to provide these nice extras!

Ohhh, JD I'd love to have a copy of that!!! :D

Sheila

SoWal Insider
Mermaid said:
I know this might be a silly question but I'm not exactly sure what's customary, so I thought I'd put it out for those of you who rent (especially self-rent). Our condo is going to be ready in January and I'd like to know what to leave out in terms of cleaning supplies. Should I leave an extra roll of paper towels, bottles of spray cleaners, box of Kleenex, full box of dishwasher powder? I don't want to give the impression that the renters are expected to do housekeeping for me, but do you think they'd appreciate the convenience of not having to run up to Publix and get that stuff themselves? OR do you think they'll resent anything that even remotely relates to household items?

When we go to the beach I carry the kitchen sink with me (I mean everything!) so my own experience is not much to go by. Advice needed!

Our management company leaves a packet of dishwasher soap, trash bags in the trash cans +1 extra bag for each can, soap and body wash in each bathroom, t.p.+1 extra in each bathroom, a box of tissues, 2 rolls of paper towels.

We provide, dvd's, board games, some beach toys (if our guests don't take them), beach chairs, we do have internet access, Tivo, and 2 fully packed bookcases.

We do not provide laundry supplies. Our kitchen is fully equipped. Blender, coffemaker,food processer, knives, cutting boards, pots,pans........and the list goes on.

We just signed up for high-speed (up to 1.5 Mbs) Internet for us and our guests. Now we have dialup at the beach house - MAKES ME WANT TO CLAW MY EYEBALLS OUT - I can't deal with it anymore! We have a desktop computer available for our guests, although it's dysfunctional because the last guest infected it with a virus that Norton can't even clean. GRRRRR! So we're gonna have to wipe out the hard drive, reinstall XP and MS Office.

Then we're installing a wireless network so when we have 4 people there with 4 laptops (as we typically do), we can all surf simultaneously.

Hopefully our guests will appreciate this.

BTW Mermaid, your questions are NOT sophomoric - I was clueless until the members of this board gave me some great suggestions.

Last edited:
Beach Runner said:
Exactly-the first group uses (and takes) the stuff from my experience. I asked our management company if I made up goody/necesssity baskets for my guests in advance, would they place one in the house for each new rental group? They said that they couldn't do that.

So what I do is leave out electric dishwashing detergent, liquid dish detergent, an all-purpose anti-bacterial spray for countertops, and a roll of paper towels. So far only one guest took the products - one actually replaced the electric dishwashing detergent. The paper towels appear to be used up after the first guest.

There is at least one huge thread devoted to this subject from this past summer. I just can't seem to find it.
Yes, I'm replying to myself. But I just learned that if I leave out cleaning products, the rental company and I could be sued if some child ingested them. Also, the rental company likes to strip the place of "stuff" in the drawers, cabinets, and closets so that the place is uncluttered. I see their point - how can a cleaning person hurrying to clean a bunch of properties in one afternoon be expected to make the judgment call between what is a neat arrangement of goodies for guests and what is just clutter? My apologies to my guests for being inconvenienced due to litigious individuals.

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
I think it is a great idea to leave cleaning supplies that you would use at your own home. Not chemicals and things like that because who really wants to get that into cleaning when they are on vacation but I always have 3 brooms and dust pans (in case one ends up next door or down the street), I have 2 swifters and I start with a nice supply of cloth pads for my guests to use, I have a vacuum on each floor that I leave, I leave hand washing soap (I wait until Bath and Body Works has a huge sale), I put the extras under the sink with the house name and not to remove. I leave light bulbs, batteries, extra flashlights. I always try and have a dish washing cleaning brush and Brillo pads for my guests. I have never had a guest say anything about the supplies being left. If anything they have been appreciative because they have been there and want to leave the home as presentable as possible after staying a week full of sun, fun, and wonderful family memories.

Philip_Atlanta

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2005
www.rosemaryrental.com
Beach Runner said:
We just signed up for high-speed (up to 1.5 Mbs) Internet for us and our guests. Now we have dialup at the beach house - MAKES ME WANT TO CLAW MY EYEBALLS OUT - I can't deal with it anymore! We have a desktop computer available for our guests, although it's dysfunctional because the last guest infected it with a virus that Norton can't even clean. GRRRRR! So we're gonna have to wipe out the hard drive, reinstall XP and MS Office.

Then we're installing a wireless network so when we have 4 people there with 4 laptops (as we typically do), we can all surf simultaneously.

Hopefully our guests will appreciate this.

BTW Mermaid, your questions are NOT sophomoric - I was clueless until the members of this board gave me some great suggestions.

We have wireless Internet in our houses and the guests love it. I tried to keep a computer there, but ran into the same problem as you. Personally, I'd take the computer away - most people bring their laptop anyway. We do have one of those printer/fax/copier combos and it gets some use as well.

Regarding supplies, we supply sample size soaps, shampoo, conditioner in the bathrooms and then dishwasher soap and washer soap. The kitchen is stocked with various cleaning supplies. Additionally, there is plenty of TP.

Regarding books/dvds etc - I made the mistake last year of giving an ample supply of DVD's and games for the Xbox. Low and behold, at the end of the season we were missing about half of the DVD's and every Xbox game (about 10) were missing (including a controller for the Xbox). This year, I'm only buying <$5 DVD's, etc.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Our management company provides a roll of TP in each bathroom, but no tissues (they are usually not biodegradable and should not be flushed, but are if there). They also put out enough soap and dishwasher detergent to get through a couple of washings. No laundry soap or other product. I used to leave stuff, but people would use it and take the remainder home with them. :dunno: We leave extra light bulbs in the pantry and have the mngmt company replace them on the fixed rate program, which covers other things. For awhile, I left boxes of garbage bags, extra cleaning supplies, and extra TP. It was used and never replaced. The way I figure it, most people are accustomed to a trip to the market if they are renting a house or condo. The initial stash is for convenience. Even the housekeeper does not put out extra items when I leave them. The way I figure, if one is paying a housekeeper over $300 a pop each time a guest checks in, then it is little to ask that they purchase some convenience items that they might wish to have.

There are several items that need pretty constant renourishment in a beach place. The big #1 is plastic food containers like Rubbermaid. For some reason, we simply cannot keep Corningware casserole dishes, either and they're not prone to breakage. I think people pack up perishables in both items for the trip home and just figure it's no big deal, that you'll never miss it. Same with chip clips, but no big deal. Wine glasses have a high attrition rate, understandable. What really bugs me is missing silverware. We put two sets in about every other year and it just goes through attrition. What are people doing with this stuff? Sadly, I think lots gets thrown into the garbage with cleanup. So I have stopped putting good stuff in. I do keep my own set of flatware, dishes, and wineglasses in the lockup, just so I know it is there in the right numbers when we are there and entertain. Oh, and plastic juice glasses...forget it!

The DVDs are a lost cause; kiss them goodbye. So are the back casings on remote devices. It pays to keep an extra (especially the cable one) in your owner lockup.

Your housekeeper is a good resource for advice on what should be left and which things will not survive a summer of fun. In the end, it's not that big a deal to make a run to Bed Bath & Beyond, spend $40 or so on these kinds of items each year. Sure beats spending even 10 minutes fretting about it, I have found.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
We leave a broom, dustpan, swiffer, lightweight vacuum cleaner at each cottage. The management company leaves a starter supply of soap (should last the week), one roll of toilet paper in each bathroom, a few individual bags of dishwasher detergent, towels and potholders. We also leave flashlights/batteries/light bulbs (including the self-charging ones that you plug into an outlet that double as a nightlight). Out of 3, one is missing.

We have never had a problem (as far as I know) with people taking dvds or cds or books (and we have some very nice ones at the cottages). We leave puzzles and games and we get pieces missing from them, but we check them and replace them if pieces are missing (it's a pain in the neck, but it's a job the kids sometimes do). We haven't had much trouble with breakage of dishes/glasses, though we have lost some silverware (especially the small spoons and forks which suggests that children may be tossing them away by mistake). I lost a few travel alarm clocks once that I left on the side of the beds for guests, and I assume they took them by mistake and I haven't replaced them (I have plug in clocks by the side of the bed now).

We get mostly adults with children because our places are relatively small and inexpensive compared to some of the larger homes. I think they tend to be more careful than larger groups travelling together. Once we had someone rent our cottage and the one next door, and they did mix up a lot of the pots and pans and serving dishes since they were travelling together and brought stuff from each cottage back and forth. The other owner and I straightened it out.

We leave beach toys and floaters, and we seem to gain more every month because people also go out and buy more and then leave them.

Overall, our guests have been great. I want an owner's closet, though, because we then can leave some extra stuff for us.