• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: Prominence

thekid said:
Yes, Prominence is completly landlocked. As for the comment that they will work out something with Watersound, u gotta be kidding me. That will NEVER happen. They will probably have a shuttle going to Deer Lake Park. :cool:

I think Prominence made reference to Seaside not blocking WaterColor from walking thru to gain beach access. You cannot drive through, but walking is not a problem.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL

Smiling JOe said:
Now that I think about it, I do have a problem with so many different communities popping up that are 180 degree opposite from one to the next. I think it contributes to the lack of a central community. I enjoy diversity in people, but I don't want to feel like I am travelling through thirty countries when I drive the 17 mile stretch of 30-A. I may have to stick to Grayton, Seaside, and WaterCooler.

On the other hand, I like that kind of architectural clutter. It makes the area seem a little more organic, and like the neighborhoods all developed at different paces and different times. Not quite so prefab.

I still think Promenence is a cheesy name though.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach

I got the price list a few months ago, and I think the lots were around $1.2. They must have come down some since then. I just laughed and deleted the email.

I too have heard that Watercolor has been trying to buy out Prominence for several years.

I thought that St. Joe already had plans to turn Watersound Parkway into a public road in a few years.

The movie theatre will also be a theatre for stage productions and concerts. I think the theatre is a good idea, but I'm not too excited about the rest of the development. It seems that the planning/permitting has taken so long that they missed the boat on the 2004 real estate market.

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside

One more comment on the theater.... I think it is great to bring in more venues for cultural options on 30-A. It really can only be another asset/resource to the area if someone is willing to spend the money on a project like that.

If I were them, however, I would be concerned that Seaside also has plans for a beautiful outdoor performing arts center in the Lyceum area of Seaside. Already having an 'arts' reputation, a troup for play performances, concerts, etc. at Seaside, that will be pretty stiff competition.

Please understand I wouldn't be biased or anything.... :D

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach

I'm not "hostile" toward this development. However, I was a little offended at their very high prices at a time when the market has obviously slowed and sales in established developments nearby (Watersound, Rosemary) are sluggish. Prominence isn't "prominent" enough to justify a $1.2 mil lot with no beach access.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach

Coast is Clear said:
One more comment on the theater.... I think it is great to bring in more venues for cultural options on 30-A. It really can only be another asset/resource to the area if someone is willing to spend the money on a project like that.

If I were them, however, I would be concerned that Seaside also has plans for a beautiful outdoor performing arts center in the Lyceum area of Seaside. Already having an 'arts' reputation, a troup for play performances, concerts, etc. at Seaside, that will be pretty stiff competition.

Please understand I wouldn't be biased or anything.... :D

I disagree. I live about a mile from "Prominence" and I'd glady attend events at their theatre. Also, the Seaside Rep. is based in Seaside, but they also travel to other venues to put on shows--Rosemary, Baytowne, etc. Most of the larger developments also all have concerts, outdoor movies, etc. and there doesn't seem to by any problems with competition. There isn't anywhere on 30A that has movies (first run or classic) in an indoor theater.

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside

Camp Creek Kid said:
I disagree. I live about a mile from "Prominence" and I'd glady attend events at their theatre. Also, the Seaside Rep. is based in Seaside, but they also travel to other venues to put on shows--Rosemary, Baytowne, etc. Most of the larger developments also all have concerts, outdoor movies, etc. and there doesn't seem to by any problems with competition. There isn't anywhere on 30A that has movies (first run or classic) in an indoor theater.

All that is true, and I have always wished there was a movie theater closer to Seaside. I just never thought anyone could make one ecomomically viable on 30-A.

All that said, I'll never have a problem with more entertainment options :clap_1:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Coast is Clear said:
All that is true, and I have always wished there was a movie theater closer to Seaside. I just never thought anyone could make one ecomomically viable on 30-A.

All that said, I'll never have a problem with more entertainment options :clap_1:

Actually, the movie theatre part will probably work fine as long as they show the Truman Show as their weekly movie. just kidding. Since I first heard the planners say that they wanted a movie theatre to be the anchor to the town, just like many small towns in the south used to have a Martin Theatre, I laughed because I have an idea of what the big movies cost to run them. However, if they show movies that are old and out on DVD's, they can probably pay show them for free as a form of babysitting. That would work. Don't hold your breath to see newly released movies at Prominence because the math just doesn't work.

A little more about my rant on Prominence over the last two days:
After further thought on my comments, I do want to say that I think the planners of Prominence did some good research to find things which make a town feel much like home. These things did include the "concept" of a variety of people from different socio-economic classes. They conveyed a vision of a real community filled with working class as well as the well to do. My real problem is that, while I agree with the things which they said made a real town, I knew then and know now, that it was impossible to pull off. Real estate prices were increasing at too high of a rate when Prominence was even in the conceptual phase a year and a half ago. I have stated before that I feel like SoWal is becoming much more monotone with every day that passes. I am referring to the people of SoWal? Living here, I do not encounter a wide mix of people, like when I first moved here only a short time ago. My frustration grows larger with the known problems of the future in SoWal, where we build more homes, without planning for the people who provide the services required in a resort community. If you think it is difficult to find a plumber today, wait 3 years down the road. I just hope SoWal does not go the way I see it where we have plenty of homes for the wealthy, but no services to keep them going.

In summary, my problem is not with Prominence. My problem is that the demand of property here has outpriced many cool artist-type and service oriented people from relocating here. Having been around so many average-income people in different towns, I have grown to miss their company and the diversity which they offer. I wish Prominence the best as they move forward.

I just think that people are getting scared about the overdevelopment of 30-A. It's not the quiet little area that it was even three years ago. The traffic is really annoying. With so many properties available, supply and demand will reduce our rental rates and property resale values. I remember when people flipped out over big signs down here. High-rise developments are much more objectionable to me than a big sign because they're out of character with what attracted me to 30-A in the first place and will generate even more traffic to to the high population density of the development.

I know that people have a right to build on the property they've bought, but aren't there any zoning laws to control the density? And why is it that the mantra on 30-A at one time was "no chains," and now we have a Starbucks, a Publix, and perhaps a movie theatre soon - will it be independent or run by Carmike (or another chain)?

Don't get me wrong - I love it here. But i wish there could be a moratorium on building until an organized plan for the development of 30-A takes traffic and other issues into consideration.

Just a humble opinion. This is not my area of expertise.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Beach Runner said:
I just think that people are getting scared about the overdevelopment of 30-A. It's not the quiet little area that it was even three years ago. The traffic is really annoying. With so many properties available, supply and demand will reduce our rental rates and property resale values. I remember when people flipped out over big signs down here. High-rise developments are much more objectionable to me than a big sign because they're out of character with what attracted me to 30-A in the first place and will generate even more traffic to to the high population density of the development.

I know that people have a right to build on the property they've bought, but aren't there any zoning laws to control the density? And why is it that the mantra on 30-A at one time was "no chains," and now we have a Starbucks, a Publix, and perhaps a movie theatre soon - will it be independent or run by Carmike (or another chain)?

Don't get me wrong - I love it here. But i wish there could be a moratorium on building until an organized plan for the development of 30-A takes traffic and other issues into consideration.

Just a humble opinion. This is not my area of expertise.

Speaking of chains and franchises, 30-A now has a second Subway. :puke: