• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Also a question?..,
If one lives in Kelly Plantation or Regatta Bay and calls for emergency service (sheriff or EMS or fire) do they not respond from Destin precincts? Or come from Ft Walton or Niceville?
[Not trying to begin a debate or controversy, just clarification]

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Also a question?..,
If one lives in Kelly Plantation or Regatta Bay and calls for emergency service (sheriff or EMS or fire) do they not respond from Destin precincts? Or come from Ft Walton or Niceville?
[Not trying to begin a debate or controversy, just clarification]
I venture to guess from Destin. Incorporation will not change who runs the schools in SoWal. Okaloosa EMS responds the closest unit wherever they happen to be from. The unincorporated areas of Destin are serviced by the Destin Fire Control District which has 2 station one on Airport Rd and the other is located near Best Buy. Deputies will respond the closest unit no matter where they are.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
I venture to guess from Destin. Incorporation will not change who runs the schools in SoWal. Okaloosa EMS responds the closest unit wherever they happen to be from. The unincorporated areas of Destin are serviced by the Destin Fire Control District which has 2 station one on Airport Rd and the other is located near Best Buy. Deputies will respond the closest unit no matter where they are.
Indeed.
Yet owners in the noted subdivisions don't pay the same level of property tax as those in the incorporated areas. And that's my point.
This also includes the Destin Commons and Paradise Key centers, the Mid Bay Marina. And portions of Emerald Bay.
That's a lot of tax base not staying in the incorporated City.

Big mistake IMO to carve out that portion of the peninsula from incorporation. And the same would apply to Blue Mountain Beach or other communities within the S. Walton geographic peninsula. Again IMO.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Indeed.
Yet owners in the noted subdivisions don't pay the same level of property tax as those in the incorporated areas. And that's my point.
This also includes the Destin Commons and Paradise Key centers, the Mid Bay Marina. And portions of Emerald Bay.
That's a lot of tax base not staying in the incorporated City.

Big mistake IMO to carve out that portion of the peninsula from incorporation. And the same would apply to Blue Mountain Beach or other communities within the S. Walton geographic peninsula. Again IMO.
That is incorrect. Those folks are not paying for city services but are paying for the services they receive, whether it is Fire, independent taxing district, EMS which is a county provided service, Sheriff office may be a little mixed up because of location, water and garbage is private as in electrical. If i wanted city services I could ask to be annexed. I live in the unincorporated area of freeport and the city really doesn't provide alot of service for the tax they pay. No fire, no ems, no police, no garbage. Water and Sewer is provided to me at a cost from the city. They provided city planning but I think county provides building inspections.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Does the incorporated area of Destin not start at the Okaloosa/Walton County line? That's what the sign says.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
When it comes to emergencies, the law enforcement agencies of adjacent counties are very collaborative. I imagine that is true of other emergency services as well.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Does the incorporated area of Destin not start at the Okaloosa/Walton County line? That's what the sign says.
Incorporated Destin on the north side of hwy 98 ends at Indian bayou. With the exception of the City Hall property and the Emerald Coast Center (old WalMart)
All the development from Indian Bayou to the county line N of 98 is unincorporated Okaloosa County.
Even The Track and few other surrounding parcels are not incorporated.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
When it comes to emergencies, the law enforcement agencies of adjacent counties are very collaborative. I imagine that is true of other emergency services as well.
I would believe so.
My question is the property taxes collected to support those services. And schools? And how about the franchise agreements between the City and the cable and waste companies?