• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Paula said:
How does wireless work? I hae a wireless dell truemobile card in my computer and I can get wireless where I work. Can I just go to the places mentioned here and turn on my laptop and get access or do I need to set my computer up in some special way? Is it free to use the wireless access at these places, say, the center stage area at Seaside?

Thanks.
It is free to use in this area. No one charges for access. If your computer is networked via wireless at work, you are mostly likely good to go at the aforementioned hot spots. You may be prompted to select which router you wish to use. Be sure that your computer is set up with a firewall, and that you do not allow file sharing. If not, your files could be stolen wirelessly, without your knowledge.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Thanks, Smiling Joe. Last time I was there I went to Web30A and had my laptop set up with dial-in that I could use from the cottage and it worked perfectly. When I'm there in May, I'll try the local wireless areas. I'll check with work to be sure I'm all set up. Frankly, I really should get used to not having my laptop with me when I'm in the area...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
"Frankly, I really should get used to not having my laptop with me when I'm in the area..."

Yes, go kayak with the dolphins, or walk the Beach at Sunrise. I bet when you are work, you surf the web looking at the Beach, and when you are at the Beach, you surf the web looking at work. I read a great book entitled, "Be Here Now." I recommend the title to you when you arrive at the Beach, Be here now.

You can do it.

Isn't it funny how we tend to rush, rush, rush to get to our vacation? Why not begin the journey upon leaving work. If you do so, when you arrive, you will already be so relaxed that you cannot stand it.

Last edited:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Great advice, Joe. I'll get the book, Be Here Now. Sounds like a great read and I'll get on Amazon today.

I sometimes need to work when I'm at the cottage because I don't have to be at my office to get my work done, so even though it's a work day or work week, I can come to this area and work from here. So, I couldn't come here as often without internet access.

Since I'm an early riser, my tradition when I'm in this area is to go down to the beach with a good book just about every morning I'm here (when it's warm), set up my little beach chair about 10 feet from the water, and sip my coffee, eat my muffin or scone, and read for about an hour. If I'm in the area with my family, I'm usually the only one awake so it's a very special quiet time of the day for me.

Then, I try to make sure I'm back at the beach with my little beach chair, a little something to drink, and watch the sunset in the evening -- and often with family/friends as well. I read it on this discussion group that this time of day is called "tea time" in these parts. These two times at the beach frame my day (of course, with other trips to the beach in between on good days!).

Thanks again for the book recommendation and reminder not to use the computer too much!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
I looked up the book on Amazon and will order it at some point, perhaps before I get there in May. Although I must say that the reviews, which were mostly positive, made it sound like a real 60s book, drugs and all. So, that part won't be relevant to me (I grew up in the 60s and was a very good girl so I avoided all that), but if there's some timeless calming advice in it I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Frankly, I liked Anne Morrow Lindburg's (spelling?) book Gift From the Sea, but it was written primarily for women. She used different seashells as analogies for different parts of women's lives. I read it while sitting in my little beach chair in the morning about 10 feet from the ocean last summer.

How'd we get here from Wi-Fi?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Paula, sorry for the confusion. I was only recommending that you do as the title suggests, "Be Here Now."

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Oh, well, I enjoy reading and so when I see what I think is a good recommendation, I go for it. Oh well, I guess I won't buy the book since it seemed a bit psychadelic (sp?) for me. I'll stick to Lindburg's "Gifts From the Sea" -- That's a wonderful read, especially for women with children. And it's perfect reading for the beach.

I did read the book "Green Empire" which was about St. Joe's and the development of the Panhandle. The first chapter is all about 30A. That was a very interesting book, especially since we have property here now and will be staying here more and more over the years. I found that recommendation on this chat group and am thankful for that.