Wi-Fi or Internet access

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by robynlh, Mar 14, 2005.

1. newyorker

newyorker Beach Lover

first--thanks for the info re the dialup services. Tho I don't want to schlep my computer around Seaside, I'm still very sad that Fermentations closed--it was a very civilized place to sit and watch people. Based on what I've been reading on this listserv re "development" efforts at Seaside, I hope that the "development" folks realize the careful balance of retail, space usage, and just plain human-scale and quirky architecture makes that place work.

"Jennifer"--I'm happy to talk about my college and other potential ones for your daughter, but that's best done privately. I think (based on the "Faq" that I read for this listserv) that you can do private messaging or email.
    newyorker email

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Wine is not the only alcohol to be fermented. Mr. Rob Hall poured a nice tall can of Guiness from behind the bar at Fermentations. The New Year's Party was there last night open, and it was a great time, with a local, Jeff Caldwell, and the former drummer from Sly and the Family Stones, performing.

3. Suncat

Suncat Beach Fanatic

I saw Jeff Caldwell there last year and went to Sundog Books (upstairs) and bought his CD the next day. Didn't realize the drummer was from Sly and the Family Stone, but I'm not at all surprised. Without a doubt, one of the best performances I have ever heard. Are they playing anywhere else in the area now?

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

In the past, Jeff, aka - the Barefoot Runner, frequently played at Capo's, which is no longer around. I am not sure where Jeff is currently playing, or if he is even in town.

FYI - At the New Year's close out party, the drummer who formerly played with Sly was not the kid who wandered in with the solo drum and sat in with them for a song or two.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  5. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

I miss Fermentations, Patchouilli's, and even the short-lived Albert F.'s. What is Seaside doing? If they run Shades off, it will really be a tragedy. And Bud & Alley's won't be there forever if the current mindset stays in place, further eroding the old 30-A ambiance IMHO.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  6. sunshine

sunshine Beach Lover

When we rented in Seagrove, I would take my laptop each morning to Web30A on 30A. It was real easy - I plugged into their high speed lines and paid them a reasonable amount of money for the access. (I don't remember how much, it was several years ago - my guess - around $40 for 2 weeks) I got there when they openned, worked for about an hour and was home, ready for the beach, vacation time etc. by the time the rest of the family was moving.

Beach Java, also in Seagrove is wonderful, and the owners are fabulous. If you want coffee and Internet, then that would be a good choice.

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

...and it is free, not the coffee, just the internet.

8. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

Any locals know or can confirm, I thought I read in the Sun in May that some "reconfigurations" were planned for Seaside retail and the little post office and a few other buildings were going to be moved or taken down. The article said that it was always in the plan from way back....?

Also, heard that Bud and Ally's (or at least the upstairs bar) was going to be moved or shut down (ie it is not going to be So-30A) and on another post on this board (a few days) ago that Shades' lease was expired and that they were going to be moving (to the Publix shopping ctr? Not wanting to start rumors just trying to confirm any of the above. BTW, is the Shades at the end of 30-A at Inlet Beach the same owner/menu as the one in Seaside?

Kurt or SJ...any truth to these changes or can you confirm or set me straight? Thanks for advance for any info. :clap_1:

9. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

10. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

Kurt thanks for the info. I knew you would set me straight.

11. Suncat

Suncat Beach Fanatic

Patchouli's has moved down to Santa Rosa next to Miss Lucille's Gossip Parlor and across from the Artists at Gulf Place.
    It seems that the businesses across from Sundog Books are disappearing---Bow-wow-Meow, candy store, and most recently ARTZ by Donna Burgess.
    Last year, the woman in ARTZ said it was getting hard to pay Manhatten real estate rent at Seaside. I think maybe those small buildings are going to be moved now that they are all almost empty.

BTW after finally finding a wireless location, my computer crashed. :dunno:

12. Kimmifunn

Kimmifunn Funnkalicious

In regards to Bud's I was meeting with someone who was buddies with the owner Dave- who just bought out his partner's share. The man I was meeting with mentioned Bud's moving/closing and Dave said he wouldn't have bought out his partner's half if that was the case. This is also the same person who the day before Dennis was hitting said he was staying...and that if Bud's went down, he was going to go down with it.

I don't know.. it may be the inevitable...but I would HATE to see Bud's move across 30-A. We sat at the roof bar and watched the fireworks on the 4th and it was amazing! I would love to make that a tradition. :clap_1:

13. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

14. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

Yes, thanks, I knew Patchouilli's had moved, but the new one doesn't have as much inventory as the old one. Plus, I liked the atmosphere of the Seaside location.

Oh, can't computers be so frustrating? I've had issues with mine since May. Got a new Dell last week. The battery on the old one (3 years) died, and Gateway doesn't have that battery anymore. What good is a laptop if you have to stay wired?

15. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

I spoke with a friend of the owner of Shades. He said that they had renewed the lease, but I don't know for how long.

I also have spoken from time to time with a friend of DR of B&A. Apparently he is frustrated by what's going on at Seaside. He has received offers to move out of Seaside. I just love the beachfront ambiance at B&A. Isn't it the only restaurant on 30-A that has a Gulf view?

Anyhow, I guess Seaside as we once knew it with the funky ambiance will be gone soon, according to Kurt's links. Makes me sad! But I guess I can't blame the owners who can make more money with high-rises than a low-rises.

16. Seasider

Seasider Beach Lover

Fermentations has closed, but Rendevous recently opened where Studio 210 was in Ruskin Place. It is a very cool place to have a glass of wine.

17. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

Planned community growth sucks. That's what made 30-a and especially blue mountain beach so neat back in the 80's and 90's - they weren't planned and had locals that wouldn't stand for being planned.

18. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Do you think that Destin is full of greatness since it is not planned?

19. sarahj

sarahj Beach Lover

Some lady in charge at Henderson Park Inn planned to run Grandkids and me of the beach at Henderson State beach. The grandkids were playing Marco Polo in the water at the state beach. She said they were bothering her high dollar renters. Too much noise! We still own property there and the grandkids are mostly grown now, but Henderson Park Inn is closed and I guess the lady is too. So much for her plan. However talk is planned development from Henderson Park Inn over to 98 as same owners bought bowling alley and some property inbetween. Don't know how they are going to get on 98 during June and July. :dunno:

20. Cil

Cil Beach Fanatic

Is that book a new "Be Here Now" or is it the one published back in the '70's?