• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It's funny seeing Alys Beach compared to Prominence, since Prominence doesn't even have beach access. Their closest Public Beach Access is Deer Lake State Park, and they will have to pay daily fees and depart before sunset.

Has Deer Lake changed? I didn't think you had to pay to use that state park.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
IMO, Alys Beach will fair this storm very well. EBSCO has almost nothing in the land, and the cost of land is what is pinching most developers right now. Alys Beach has the ability to draw only the top money from around the country. They are not looking at the same buyers as the rest of 30A. I doubt you will see EBSCO lowering their prices because Alys Beach really doesn't have any competition in our area, and my guess is that they can hang on through our down market. You must also consider the fact that for the buyers whom they are targeting, a couple hundred grand isn't worth negotiating. If their buyer's want the product, they simply write the check. Our current real estate market conditions will not greatly influence the purchasing decisions of those high-end buyers.

Beautifully said, SJ! :clap: You have it right on the nail, IMO. And I believe I heard there were a few properties that have gone under contract over the last month or so?? Realtors? Any info?

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Beautifully said, SJ! :clap: You have it right on the nail, IMO. And I believe I heard there were a few properties that have gone under contract over the last month or so?? Realtors? Any info?

I can only find 6 closings in Alys since December 2005. Any realtors with better info?

Lisa Ruby

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
SoWal
www.rosemarybeachsales.com
agreed, on all points, Alys is on the top of their game.....
but, mistakes.... huge, were made...early on, many well heeled clients and realtors were sent packing with the "interview process" and no commission to outside realtors for referrals. There was a very long list of potential buyers and realtors that were offended by this. Unfortunate, but at the end of the day, I'm sure this will be much more than a premier development.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It wasn't until a few months into this year when the MLS rules were updated, requiring developers who participate in the MLS to enter all listings which are pending or sold into the MLS for comp purposes, but a violation is only a class two violation, which is basically to correclty enter it w/i two days when caught in violation. I could see Alys Beach wanting to keep their sales on the down-low. I suspect they have had more contracts written. Also remember that they may get a contract on a home which hasn't commenced construction. Again, even if they have only a few homes sold currently, they are probably still fine, financially and are not trying to sell all of their product overnight. Many wealthy people are slowly discovering our area. With time, their sales will increase, as will their prices. Remember, they haven't even started selling Gulf front. I'm sure they will wait until demand (ie-prices) increase.
I can only find 6 closings in Alys since December 2005. Any realtors with better info?

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
IMO, Alys Beach will fair this storm very well. EBSCO has almost nothing in the land, and the cost of land is what is pinching most developers right now. Alys Beach has the ability to draw only the top money from around the country. They are not looking at the same buyers as the rest of 30A. I doubt you will see EBSCO lowering their prices because Alys Beach really doesn't have any competition in our area, and my guess is that they can hang on through our down market. You must also consider the fact that for the buyers whom they are targeting, a couple hundred grand isn't worth negotiating. If their buyer's want the product, they simply write the check. Our current real estate market conditions will not greatly influence the purchasing decisions of those high-end buyers.

Time will tell, but so far the market has not responded well to Alys. Who knows if it is price, architectural style or both that are hurting sales. Sales in RM, SS, WC and WS have been far outstripping Alys for the last 18 months or so. While WC may not be everyones cup of tea, the general market seems to be much more accepting of the product in WC based on sales over the last 2 years compared to the other major developments along 30A.

Just like WS West, WS North, Phase IV at WC, The Preserve, and Draper Lake, it will be a long, long time before Alys gets anywhere near built out at the current rate of sales. I still believe WC, RM and WS have a distinct sales advantage over Alys due to the stage of completion of these developments and the broader market appeal of the architectural style. Alys is unique and I like the construction methodology. But, IMO, Alys will appeal to a much narrower segment of the population due to the monotone white stucco on all the buildings, the lack of greenery around many of the homes and the zero lot lines on many of the lots.

Remember, the cost of the raw land is nominal, but they have tens of millions invested in infrastructure, amenities, unsold homes, etc. Not a nominal investment overall. Also keep in mind that EBSCO's primary business is publishing, not real estate.

It will be interesting to see how Alys plays out over the next few years. And, when the market picks back up a bit, how Alys fares against its competition along 30A. So, far the competition is beating them hands down.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Fisher, I agree with a couple of your points.
..."Alys is unique and I like the construction methodology. But, IMO, Alys will appeal to a much narrower segment of the population ..."

"It will be interesting to see how Alys plays out over the next few years. And, when the market picks back up a bit, how Alys fares against its competition along 30A. So, far the competition is beating them hands down."

This last paragraph makes it sound as though you really think WaterColor, NatureWalk, Seaside, Prominence, etc, are actually the competition for Alys Beach. I think you have to look outside of our area to find the competition for Alys Beach.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Fisher, I agree with a couple of your points.
..."Alys is unique and I like the construction methodology. But, IMO, Alys will appeal to a much narrower segment of the population ..."

"It will be interesting to see how Alys plays out over the next few years. And, when the market picks back up a bit, how Alys fares against its competition along 30A. So, far the competition is beating them hands down."

This last paragraph makes it sound as though you really think WaterColor, NatureWalk, Seaside, Prominence, etc, are actually the competition for Alys Beach. I think you have to look outside of our area to find the competition for Alys Beach.

I have talked with a couple of owners in Alys. None of them were "outside the box" type people you refer to above. They were all looking to buy along 30A and they simply chose Alys over the other competition along 30A. None of them were looking at places in Bermuda, the Greek isles, Arizona, California, etc, etc. I also know lots of other folks that looked at Alys along with the rest of the competitive product along 30A and said no way to Alys. In addition, if you look at the addresses of owners in Alys, the distribution looks very similar to the ownership rosters in developments all along 30A (Georgia and Alabama and Florida addresses dominate--in fact, it looks like a lot of EBSCO folks out of Birmingham forms the largest bulk of owners so far). I am curious where you believe these "other" buyers will come from and what competitive products they will be comparing Alys to.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think of Alys beach as more European/international in feel & design, but consider the other 30-A developments as its competition/to have a similar demographic.

The prices and its design are what currently set it apart from other developments, but once you start marketing to those dropping million(s) on a vacation home, price isn't an isolating factor.