• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
child's play. you've been hanging around in the RE area too much, and have missed all the fun in political.

if i wanted to get really snarky, i would have brought up children's birthday activities and custom republican t shirts.

Oh please do.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
So anyhoo.............

I believe that this area is not considered a good location for a large turbine because of the hurricane potential and amount of flight traffic. It IS a great area for solar power, which I would like to see more use of locally.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Does the bay have an arm that heads up to dfs? you or your descendants will never see a turbine or generating device in the bay. have you not been following the conversation, or is this standard red rhetoric?

Oh I forgot, you NIMBY folks do not even want the locals driving in your neighborhoods. No problem. Just keep shoveling those tax dollars north. They recently paved a road that lets me get to I-10 in 7 minutes. If I were to have to evacuate.

So anyhoo.............

I believe that this area is not considered a good location for a large turbine because of the hurricane potential and amount of flight traffic. It IS a great area for solar power, which I would like to see more use of locally.

I'm telling you, there's really something up and coming in tidal energy. I understand that water current's force is 28 times more powerful than air current's force. And I hear tides are becoming rather predictable. There's something about solar that tells me it's cost divided by benefit is going to be limited to warming water in the end.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't think this area is suitable for tidal power either. Think water temp/depth/sealife is not correct. I think they have been successful using it in the North Sea, but don't remember why they chose that location - pretty cool though!

History Channel did a great special on alt energy sources and tidal power was included.

operationivy

Beach Comber
Mar 5, 2008
After reading the book "The green collar economy," I have noticed some turbines. On I10 in Pensacola, I saw one on top of an interstate sign. There's also one in Alys Beach. I don't know if it works or is just a statue (saw it at night).

One interesting statement in the book talks about how we've been addicted to non renewable fossil fuels, sucking our dead ancestors out of the ground, like vampires and burning them up, unceremoniously, through our gas tanks. But now we have the knowledge and power to convert to renewable sources, living sources, like wind, hydro (wave farms), and solar.

It's the answer to all of our problems, including the war (goodbye middle eastern oil!)... our main obstacle is obtaining a trained workforce.... Our electric grid is old and they already have the plans mapped out for a new "smart" grid where you could sell excess energy back to the company, plus it would allow the power grid to be an open market economy.... fascinating book. The author says the green collar economy will be bigger than the industrial revolution.

Lots of really cool talk about the "Katrina Mentality"

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The one in Alys Beach is decoration only, but I believe every building has solar panels on them.

Tides have been predictable for, what, several hundred years.

I don't think tidal power is going to happen too soon. Combining salt water, metals, and power is never a good combination and requires tons of maintenance.

The one in Alys Beach is decoration only, but I believe every building has solar panels on them.

Tides have been predictable for, what, several hundred years.

I don't think tidal power is going to happen too soon. Combining salt water, metals, and power is never a good combination and requires tons of maintenance.

I was pointing out that tidal energy is very predictable and wind, not so much. I think we will figure out how to pick up the energy of trillions of gallons of water both ebbing and flowing.

Anybody see that piece 6 months ago on WJHG where a guy from Panama City is capturing renewable energy and at certain times during the day his electric meter spins backwards as he sends excesses back to the grid?

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
I was pointing out that tidal energy is very predictable and wind, not so much. I think we will figure out how to pick up the energy of trillions of gallons of water both ebbing and flowing.

Anybody see that piece 6 months ago on WJHG where a guy from Panama City is capturing renewable energy and at certain times during the day his electric meter spins backwards as he sends excesses back to the grid?

swgb, all buildings in AB do not have panels. there is one house that has a roof full.

aabsolute, net metering is great, it must be very fulfilling to know one is getting a credit from the power supplier. It does take a good amount of panels to be able to do so though. also, do you remember if the person had batteries. If he did, great, then he's using his collected energy at night. if not, then he's still using the power company at night. either way he's paying less. as panels become cheaper, it will enable more and more people to go PV. builders should be considering wiring new construction for future panels.