• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Yesterday morning was the first time I had ever heard of harnessing tidal energy. I don't know how I missed it all these years. Dams are predictable for generating hydro-energy, but I understand they hurt migration of wildlife. Tidal energy uses the tides and doesn't block the free movement of anything. I think we are going to find that there are a lot of breakthroughs coming in this.

I think that is a great idea. Anything that we can harness to provide power and relieve our dependence on oil I think is a good idea. Particularly in our current economic situation. This would provide new jobs, and independence.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Why are people always thinking of the same ways to make things happen? Why not get a bit more creative and try to harness the energy from lightning strikes? One big bolt could power our entire town for a long time.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
So anyhoo.............

I believe that this area is not considered a good location for a large turbine because of the hurricane potential and amount of flight traffic. It IS a great area for solar power, which I would like to see more use of locally.

Winter months on the bay have considerable wind. The verticle turbines are less likely to sustain the damages. Solar panels have had a number of improvements, they have become much thinner, they are even made like shingles now. The cost is still high.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Winter months on the bay have considerable wind. The verticle turbines are less likely to sustain the damages. Solar panels have had a number of improvements, they have become much thinner, they are even made like shingles now. The cost is still high.

When is the last time you priced a wind turbine and infrastructure?

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Oh I forgot, you NIMBY folks do not even want the locals driving in your neighborhoods. No problem. Just keep shoveling those tax dollars north. They recently paved a road that lets me get to I-10 in 7 minutes. If I were to have to evacuate.

ok robert, how does my statement about the feasibility of turbines in the bay lead to your jump of nimbyism? you really must not be following the conversation. or, you're just looking for any excuse to throw caustic responses to those not in your political party, or those who wanted to live closer to where they work. am i wrong for not wanting to use fuel to drive from the north to work in the south??

i'll make easy for you to understand. turbines would never be in the bay because they wouldn't be able to generate enough energy for roi. roi means return on investment.

If Ted Kennedy does not want to see them off the coast of Nantucket, why should I have them in my view of Choctawhatchee Bay?

Nimby? that is your statement above, not mine. still trying to figure out your view of the bay from DFS. maybe you and palin share the same ocular abilities. ocular means having to do with eyes.

No problem. Just keep shoveling those tax dollars north.

this statement is one of many justifications for my having voted against you in the election, and any future elections, should you run again. it makes me question your actual priorities with regard to holding an elected position. elected position means something you do not have.

They recently paved a road that lets me get to I-10 in 7 minutes. If I were to have to evacuate.

it seems it's all about you at this point. coupled with your prior statement, the argument of north county versus south county is fueled by statements like this. good job with furthering the stereotype.

happy fixing in '09.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
When is the last time you priced a wind turbine and infrastructure?

The plan I'm looking at says it costs $300, however, I already have some of the materials needed. Before I moved back home when my mother died, she had rented the house out. One of the former tenants had gotten a $700 electric bill, and this was in the early 80's. I have been able to cut it in half by improvements I have made, but I still want to bring it down more.

Last edited: