• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
dcp_8321sm.jpg

"know before you go" :D Way to set the example, ladies.:clap_1:

BTW, this sign is posted at the entrance to the walkover in Grayton Beach State Park (camping access).

Last edited:

John Hall

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
very sad way to start a beautiful year

How about getting the weather service to issue and alert

They do it if there is a threat.........plan and simple

This is a threat to all of us. how about the same sence of urgency ??

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Last night, I heard that there was a third drowning victim in the area on that day, but I haven't heard any details, other than the victim was unidentified. Has anyone else heard this? Any details?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
My prayers here too...

But, we have many visitors who, even with Seemore the Safety Crab's happy dance, have no clue what the beach flags mean. Or, worse yet, don't care. Many of our guests (not all, but you'd be surprised) feel that since they paid $$$$ to be here; we should guarantee them a damned good time.

I work in the office that collects the fines for citations issued, and you would NOT believe some of the nasty, hateful notes and comments that we receive with the payments for beach citations. :bang:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Yes, this is so sad.

We framed the Seymore crab beach flag information and put the framed picture by the dining room table hoping guests will pay attention. I think putting another one in the kids' bathroom as well as parents' bathroom would be useful, too. If parents don't listen, sometimes kids will remind them (that's how we stopped drinking soda pop at our house -- it was pressure from the kids who learned that in school!).

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We love the panhandle and especially Grayton, but anymore, we just walk ankle deep in the water. About 10 years maybe, we began noticing all of the 'seaweed' in the water and that was discouraging - so we would stay out on those days.
Then a few years ago, either the water has changed dramatically or the drownings are being publicized further away. A woman in Indiana drowned just before we came down there.
But not just the panhandle. We were in Fort Lauderdale (for the Orange Bowl:) and in one day, there was one drowning and more people rescued than usually in a month.
The waters aren't so friendly any more. I'm not one for a pool when I go to Florida, but that might become a search criteria for an occasional cooling off.
We do like to bring our bikes so we're not one dimensional.
These deaths are so disconcerting at any time, but can you image if you are on vacation, away from home, and have to deal with this.
I don't think people will quit going to the beaches - yes there will be some who go elsewhere, but anymore, people do so many other things.
Yes, please alert people to the risks somehow.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
We love the panhandle and especially Grayton, but anymore, we just walk ankle deep in the water. About 10 years maybe, we began noticing all of the 'seaweed' in the water and that was discouraging - so we would stay out on those days.
Then a few years ago, either the water has changed dramatically or the drownings are being publicized further away. A woman in Indiana drowned just before we came down there.
But not just the panhandle. We were in Fort Lauderdale (for the Orange Bowl:) and in one day, there was one drowning and more people rescued than usually in a month.
The waters aren't so friendly any more. I'm not one for a pool when I go to Florida, but that might become a search criteria for an occasional cooling off.
We do like to bring our bikes so we're not one dimensional.
These deaths are so disconcerting at any time, but can you image if you are on vacation, away from home, and have to deal with this.
I don't think people will quit going to the beaches - yes there will be some who go elsewhere, but anymore, people do so many other things.
Yes, please alert people to the risks somehow.

Beware the seaweed soaked beaches of death:doh:

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
Again, I agree with you all around, but if they don't see 2 red flags would a black one get their attention any more? It would to those who see the flags a lot, but to those who are only here 1 week a year? Who knows? It would be worth a shot though!

I do know one thing; when folks are able to get away and come down for their 1 or 2 weeks of vacation a year, come double red flag or high water they're going to get in some ocean time. I can't tell you the number of people last year I had to suggest it was a good idea to get out of the water as lightning was hitting. Nobody needs a flag to know lightning will kill you but there they are, swimming in a lightning storm.

To borrow a quote from Upton Sinclair which appears in An Inconvenient Truth, "You can't make a man understand something if their salary depends upon them not understanding it." Replace "salary" with "enjoyment" and it may hold relevence to our discussion.

I'm for whatever saves lives. Good discussion, unfortunate day.

Two ideas:

1. Get the airplanes that fly with the banners behind them promoting local restaurants, souvenir shops, etc. fly a "Beach Closed", "Dangerous Waters", or maybe even "There May or May Not Be Sharks in the Water". Anything to get people out of the water.

2. Since the sheriff's department and fire/lifeguard departments are really undermanned, why not create a network of volunteers that would be able to go to their designated beach area when red flags are posted and advise people on the beach.

Realize that most people on the beach usually dont turn around, locate the nearest flag, and check the color before going in the water.

These are just ideas. Aside from these and the existing flag system, residents are just going to get out of their comfort zone and tell people around us that they need to get out of the water when red flags are flying.