• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I'm not sure I agree...would you rather have them sitting at the local donut shop? They should be driving around making sure things are status quo. Being pro-active.

Driving around making sure things are "status quo" doesn't mean you "invite" a little girl and her 2 year-old brother into your squad car to blow the siren. The fact that SoWal is peppered with "cartoon villages" doesn't mean that its police officers should become caricature cops from the 1950's.

The pro-active approach would have been for the cop to go up to the door of the house and gently remind the occupants that it may not be wise to have the young children playing unsupervised on the front lawn.

Another post hit it right on the head...many sad endings begin with a slow "grooming" process of the children to the point where they eventually willing go along with their new "friend."

Liv'smom, you've done the right thing by going with your gut and reporting this incident--give the kids an extra hug, say a silent prayer of thanks, and put it behind you.

Last edited:

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
I'm not sure I agree...would you rather have them sitting at the local donut shop? They should be driving around making sure things are status quo. Being pro-active.

That is, assuming they are GOOD COPS, driving around doing GOOD things and watching for BAD INCIDENTS - not causing them.[/QUOTE]

Driving around making sure things are "status quo" doesn't mean you "invite" a little girl and her 2 year-old brother into your squad car to blow the siren. The fact that SoWal is peppered with "cartoon villages" doesn't mean that its police officers should become caricature cops from the 1950's.
The pro-active approach would have been for the cop to go up to the door of the house and gently remind the occupants that it may not be wise to have the young children playing unsupervised on the front lawn.

Another post hit it right on the head...many sad endings begin with a slow "grooming" process of the children to the point where they eventually willing go along with their new "friend."

Liv'smom, you've done the right thing by going with your gut and reporting this incident--give the kids an extra hug, say a silent prayer of thanks, and put it behind you.

Very much agreed. I realize one can never be too safe. I was born in Los Angeles County and spent half my life in Ventura County, CA. People here CANNOT understand why I lock the doors of my car and home EVERY time I leave it unattended (OR when I am in the house, in the car, etc - always) - even to run in the gas station.

Last edited:

Diane4145

Beach Fanatic
Sep 3, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
scrltbegonya;160078]I'm not sure I agree...would you rather have them sitting at the local donut shop? They should be driving around making sure things are status quo. Being pro-active.

It's kinda hard to imagine a parent, with this viewpoint!:dunno: Are you one? An officer can do a great job and participate in his community, without this serious lapse in judgement! No matter how ya paint this, it's unacceptable in today's day and age!:nono1:

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
It's kinda hard to imagine a parent, with this viewpoint!:dunno: Are you one? An officer can do a great job and participate in his community, without this serious lapse in judgement! No matter how ya paint this, it's unacceptable in today's day and age!:nono1:

Do I have to be a parent to be concerned? I am in no way disqualifying the fact that it was a bad choice on the cop's part. I wouldn't want him soliciting car rides, siren thrills, etc to my children, my neighbor's kids or even my dog. BUT, I am saying that they have every right and should drive around to make sure things are good in the hood - given they are good cops with good intentions. As I said before, That is, assuming they are GOOD COPS, driving around doing GOOD things and watching for BAD INCIDENTS - not causing them

Last edited:

water baby

Beach Lover
Sep 25, 2006
Seagrove
Honestly, if the guy was just honestly being a 'nice guy,' I don't see any reason why he would be upset with you wondering about your child's safety. Think about it, you make a call informing your local police dept. about what happened, and it was completely innocent, no problem. He'd probably be glad you are a responsible parent. On the other hand, you don't make the call and it happens to someone else's child, with a less positive outcome. Which situation would you rather live with? Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Wow! What a thread! After living in Inlet Beach for 6 years and vacationing here since 1977 this is home to me. The neighborhood has changed (IMHO)... the most in the past 2 years. (development)
To be honest I have never once been frightened in this neighborhood, and believe me there are some strange ones that live here full time. I have ALWAYS been happy with the Sherrifs presence in/on our street. They patrol the neighborhood, stop and talk to residents, etc. I always thought of it as a good thing and still do.
BUT, I COMPLETELY understand your concern, and tommorow little IBD is getting a talk. I do let her ride her bike on our driveway when I am inside and this has raised me to think about how sad it is that our kids cant play like we used to.:sosad:
I think the Sheriff's office should be called just to let them know.
Please let us know what you find out.....

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Liv's mom. Definitely call the sheriff's department and let them know. And please tell us what the sheiff's office says about the situation and let them know the date and time and location so they can track down the officer.

We've told our kids not to go with a police officer or even a security guard even at a mall/school because they could be fake officers or security guards. They should go to someone in charge at the store/principal's office and they should call us first. We tell them we'd stand by them if they got in trouble for not going with a guard/officer. I don't really know what they would do, but we've done our best to warn them. It's too bad we have to think like this, but after reading about sexual abuse in the churches, schools, and some people posing as officers to rob people or whatever, you can't be too careful. And, there are convicted sexual predators living in too many communities, including in vacation communities.

Oprah did a show once where she went to a park while parents were with their kids and, while the kids were playing behind them in the play yard, she asked the parents if they thought their kids would go with a stranger. Most parents said "no" and that they had told the kids to stay away from strangers. in the background, one of Oprah's staff members pretended to be someone asking the kids to come to his car to see the puppies (or something like that). Most kids went, even as their parents were saying they told their kids not to go with strangers. It was a very scary show.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Honestly, if the guy was just honestly being a 'nice guy,' I don't see any reason why he would be upset with you wondering about your child's safety. Think about it, you make a call informing your local police dept. about what happened, and it was completely innocent, no problem. He'd probably be glad you are a responsible parent. On the other hand, you don't make the call and it happens to someone else's child, with a less positive outcome. Which situation would you rather live with? Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Well said. :clap_1:

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
The Bubba Patrol at it's finest moment!

No one has to take an intellegence test to become a deputy around here. Of all people, the law enforcement should never approach a child like that. It is all over the papers about child abductions, etc. If the deputy had an sense, he would realize it would frighten a parent for him to do that!!

If he really wanted to show the children his patrol car, then he / she should have come knocked on your door, or ask the children to go get you.

There have been several deputy's get in trouble for various things.

I would trip over the furniture to get to the phone to report this person!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

If he really wanted to show the children his patrol car, then he / she should have come knocked on your door, or ask the children to go get you.

There have been several deputy's get in trouble for various things.

I would trip over the furniture to get to the phone to report this person!

Better still, have a Sheriff's Unit at a fair or other public event and allow kids to see all the bells and whistles in a public forum. Maybe even bring a fire truck.

It ain't rocket sience.