• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gypsea

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA; Watercolor
I, for one, like that TheSheep prefers greener pastures. If SoWal was everyone's favorite just think how crowded our pristine beaches would be. Having lived along the coast of California, Texas, three other areas in Florida and up and down the Atlantic Seaboard I know that it would not be pretty and talk about high density.:eek: No, SoWal is just fine for me. :love: Plus we do have the BEST people. I :love: my SoWal peeps!!!!

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Oh no I'm getting hooked again. :blush: I gotta go turbo jam. :boxing: Just wondering how I missed this all weekend? I gotta learn how to navigate these boards better. :blink:
Anyhow, I think we all are just in love with the ocean, yeah even though it's a gulf. Looking out across it just makes all my petty problems just feel small. Maybe it's thinking of all the people who live in such poverty across it, and our young men dying (33 last week of just Americans):love: for us (sorry If I offended anybody. I had to go there cuz its in my heart) We are so blessed to even know South Walton.
One thing I've notice is that there are lots of nice folks on here and most love critters. So what if one wears high heels and a garter belt. :blush: :clap_1: We are so blessed to be FREE:bow: Things have gotten pretty foo foo,or too big for their britches in lots of sowal areas. I was hoping time would take the area into an artsy, historical and nature preserving area,like Cedar Key. I swear I heard Mother Nature crying when we they were burning all the woods around the ship house in Seacrest(or Alys if you will) with the old recovering trees emerging from the pines, and while the ashes blew all over us while swimming in the gulf for days while it was going on. Not to mention breathing it all in. Yes, Alys, it is beautiful but I will be happy to see all the construction slow down. It doesn't feel as homey. Why'd they have to mess up the bike path? I want(ed) to retire there but I'm starting to wonder more about the nature coast, more art community-like,:welcome: not so built up and yuppity. I like it when you say hi when you pass someone on the sidewalk and people smile and say hi back likes its normal, not like your beneath them. :D Once we had a 2 year old run right in front of our rented motorcycle in Seaside. Thank God :love: we were creeping along but the Dad who was alone with him and an infant in a stoller 30 feet behind the him had the nerve to give us a dirty look. The nerve...Scared me too death. He should've been apologizing for not watching his child! Too crowded for me. Sorry I went off. :bang: I don't like using this smiley but I'm going to. :shock: Better go:cool: down.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
I have read all the posts, so here go my 2 cents....

SoWal has definitely changed. I remember when we first came in 1992. I thought I was in a wilderness. Having been to Gulf Shores and Destin, it was empty by comparision. I loved driving 30A and seeing scrub trees and not much else. Reminded me of a Florida my father talked of when he lived here or went fishing. Simple and beautiful.

As time has passed, it has developed. I do like not driving forever to get to a store, so it is nice to have one nearby. I appreciate the variety of restaurants and places to shop if I choose to leave the beach.:D I would miss Wild Olives or the gelato at Seaside....just a few of the places.

The question I am wondering about is "When will it be enough?" I would so hate to see it become another Destin or Gulf Shores. I love:love: sitting on the beach without someone within 10 feet of me. Progress brings undesirable aspects. And yes, I would still move there in a heartbeat. The ocean is spectacular and the areas Kurt photographs (off the beaten path) are simply beautiful so I can still escape from the developments. It is still a heavenly place.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
Nothing in this life is static and that includes beaches, especially one as lovely as ours. I'm in agreement with Darlene and OL who said it perfectly: when you look at that beautiful water, what do you have to complain or worry about?[/QUOTE]

Well, how about structures built so close to the water that now they have to "renourish" with sand that is not even close to the original, making the beach less lovely? Or that much of what is being built is really ugly? Or that a commissioner's company builds illegal sea walls?

What, me worry?

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
oh man, are we going out on a limb here? Taking a risk with "our opinions?" I don't think anyone in this thread has said they do not like the beach. (I don't even think thesheep said that.) There's just been some concern stated or opinions voiced that it's too crowded, too busy. Yes, it's beautiful, the water, the sand - it always will be.

Once again, like most of the threads on this board, or on any board, it's all about another's opinions. If someone throws an obvious flame, then the moderator takes care of that. It's a sad day when everyone gets so icky with each other when the opinions don't quite match.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
oh man, are we going out on a limb here? Taking a risk with "our opinions?" I don't think anyone in this thread has said they do not like the beach. (I don't even think thesheep said that.) There's just been some concern stated or opinions voiced that it's too crowded, too busy. Yes, it's beautiful, the water, the sand - it always will be.

Once again, like most of the threads on this board, or on any board, it's all about another's opinions. If someone throws an obvious flame, then the moderator takes care of that. It's a sad day when everyone gets so icky with each other when the opinions don't quite match.

Good post.

So, is it my opinion or a flame if I say Sheep needs to be on Thorazine, or better yet, placed in a padded room somewhere?

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
Everything changes and that can be very disappointing but you don't have to be mean about it.....baaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I've been in sowal for 52 years and I'm not going to be negative about the changes. Atlanta has changed even more since I grew up here. It happens. I am thankful for people who have worked to make the changes responsible. There are not always people doing that and I have never helped at all. The Friends of Grayton group lead by Bet Haines worked hard to keep condos off the beach. :bow: We can all try to do more to make positive changes. :love:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Good post.

So, is it my opinion or a flame if I say Sheep needs to be on Thorazine, or better yet, placed in a padded room somewhere?

Dormammu_Flaming.gif

:D