Revisiting SoWal

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by TheSheep, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I said I DO live in a private place already, in the middle of a state forest, in fact, with plenty of woods and space all around, on the water with marsh land, bayou and bay as far as the eye can see. -so, no, I have no need to move. it's about as private as you can possibly get.

we love cape san blas, especially indian pass, and visit often. it's so relaxing because there is almost nothing to do there unless you fish or scallop, or drive up to the apalachicola for some shopping. the piggly wiggly is charming. and some good seafood too (something sowal is quite lacking). it is an ideal vacation destination for those who enjoy a real get away (I do!). take your own food and plenty of reading material! and take your dogs - they love the wide open beaches and you have them all to yourself.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. TheSheep

TheSheep Beach Fanatic

Yes, I would agree but add that there is salt in all of Life's coffee and in this thread I have sought why it is that the SoWal coffee, particularly heavy salted, is so preferred since the alternatives exist. Therein lies the Keys To The Kingdom (of Understanding).

3. TheSheep

TheSheep Beach Fanatic

You are more the rare SoWallian with so much freespace, my queries are directed to those that have chosen, say, Rosemary Beach than your estate.

4. TheSheep

TheSheep Beach Fanatic

So, maybe if one only grazes where one is most comfortable, one learns much of nothing? :shock:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  5. TheSheep

TheSheep Beach Fanatic

Oh comeon,let me in the sorority, I have ciggies we can smoke and tell each other about our periods and act like we really really really give a flying fock about one another!! :clap_1:

6. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Sheep, I think you have a whacked-out view of life in SOWAL if you think that the only living options are Rosemary Beach or something north of the bay among the mere mortals. Might I suggest you take your next holiday in Mossy Head-BYOKY:funn:

7. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

There are, of course, too many beautiful places on earth for any one person to visit in a life time -- ten lifetimes. I think we all choose where we want to find our beauty, friends, peace, etc. If we're really lucky, we get to know some of these places more deeply and become part of the community with friends, family, and even a history within that community and some contributions to that community.

Clearly, what works as beauty and the good life for some people doesn't work for others. I like having people next door to me and I like sitting on the porch watching people walk by, talking to them, inviting them up for a snack -- it's the kind of environment I want our kids to grow up in as well. I like the kids hopping on a bike or taking a walk and knowing they can go to the beach, the market, a store, a fountain, a place to snack, a state park, etc. As an adult, I like being able to have all those things as well as many different kinds of restaurants, shops, a fantastic bookstore, outdoor concerts, even massages a few times a year. And all this within 6 miles of our cottage. And I know that most of the year -- September - May, I can get exceptional peace and quiet as well (with the exception of spring break). In the late fall, it's often just me and those I'm with at the beach and the Monarch Butterflies that migrate through for hours on end unless I/we seek out company. We've been connected to SoWal for over 4 years now and we're still looking forward to exploring some of the other areas nearby -- Cape Blas, etc. -- the nice thing about having a place here is that I'm not in a hurry to do those things because I figure we'll have decades to explore the area and for now we're just so happy right on our porch/beach/pool with each other and the wonderful people we've gotten to know in SoWal.

As some people on this board know, my two other favorite places on earth are a little town in Tuscany where my father was from and the coast of Maine. But SoWal has my heart - sigh :wub: Of course, SoWal has plenty of growing pains, but I'm happy to be part of it as it continues to find its way (that little town in Italy and the coast of Maine have changed, too, in the decades I've known them, but they're still awesome to me).

Frankly, my favorite threads on this board are not those that focus on complaints/insults/snide remarks, but those that share good humor, good will in good times and bad times, beautiful photos, and good ideas about places in SoWal and elsewhere to go, things to do, food, etc. But that's the beautify of SoWal.com -- there's something for everyone!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  8. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Paula--:wub: :wub:

9. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

And DD:wub: :wub: You're one of the reasons I love SoWal and SoWal.com (even though we don't see each other much, but that should change over time beginning in late April!).

10. TripleB

TripleB Beach Fanatic

I'm not sure but I think I may have seen TheSheep this weekend in SoWal! An angry looking man wearing a "I visited SoWal and all I got was this lousy shirt." , flipped me off at the 395 intersection.

11. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

:lolabove:

12. DD

DD SoWal Expert

:wub: :wub: You're tops in my book.

13. steele mama

steele mama Beach Fanatic

Crack me up!!! :lol: Where's that smiley??
    That shirt should be added to the sowal clothing repertoire.

14. Allifunn

Allifunn FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :lolabove:

love this!!

15. JoshMclean

JoshMclean Beach Fanatic

Wow, can't believe I just found this thread. It's quite obvious that the Sheep is just wanting to tout Cape San Blas over this area. I remember their first posts when they were discussing developing.

No need to even join this forum, we don't need anymore development in our area at this time..Sheep. You can continue to do as you wish over there, yet I for one, am not interested. :blush:

16. Beachbummett

Beachbummett SoWal Insider

:lolabove: :funn: :funn: I :wub: you TripleB!

Just wanted to tell everyone he is just as funny and sexy in person!!!:wub:

17. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

hmmm. well, some folks love rosemary beach and watercolor type developments (side by side houses). we enjoy them as far as visiting or staying for a weekend - they are truly wonderful vacation destinations. I adore Seaside and pretend to be a tourist there quite often! but, for living my normal life - no thanks. I need and desire peace, on the bay. But, some folks love living in the middle of it all. and believe it or not, there are some rather private homes in Rosemary Beach (and other 30A resort towns) - tucked back. you have not seen them because you would really have to look hard to find them.

I think I would rather live in Bruce (north of here) to be quite honest. But, sowal offers a lot of the things that are perfect for our family right now.

our favorite thing about this area is Grayton Beach. it's our year round playground.

18. TripleB

TripleB Beach Fanatic

TheSheep, maybe Chernobyl is you cup o' tea. Plenty of solitude and cute 3 headed ducks. It may make your outlook on life completely radiant! We will await your glowing review after your trip.

19. seacrestkristi

seacrestkristi Beach Fanatic

oh...Every kind of people, make the world go round... :cool: Good thing. What if everybody wanted a secluded lot? :dunno: :eek:
    Gosh I :wub: love it everywhere down there. I :wub: Seacrest. I would really love a secluded lot on the bay or in Cape San Blas, or in Seacrest as long as it had some big trees. Nothing like a very old tree or 2 or 3 or 100.

I felt as if my heart had been ripped out when I arrived at our townhouse and developers had torn down all the trees on either side including a very old beautiful twisted up pine tree, home to a special little bird. :sosad: If only I'd been there I'm so sure I coulda talked them into leaving it. They then planted a straight line of those big poisonous bushes instead, oleanders. :eek: That was a couple years ago...On the other side it still sits empty with weeds as construction has stopped for now it appears. I guess I need to move on...It just... hurt so bad...:cool: Wow, I need a music note smiley today!:D

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  20. joho

joho Beach Fanatic

Driving 30-A to work this morning (2 miles from home) I couldn't help but think how fortunate I am to have a laid back job, be able to look at the beach on my way, check out my million dollar neighborhood with palm trees and poodle balls nicely groomed, and see the tourist in town enjoying themselves jogging, walking pets, eating at local establishments, and getting ready for a beautiful day at the beach. "Paradise"....................What a place! ;-)