• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Like the Sheriff's Office and Code Enforcement have the (wo)manpower to do that job. They don't even direct traffic, much less fine illegal vehicles on the beach. Does Pat Blackshear go to the beach? Has she seen the lines of tents and cheap crap on the beaches, every day? I don't think so.

I am slightly confused by your comments :dunno: . Is it that they are coming to the problem at the eleventh hour in a less than ideal manner? For the sake of optimism, how about throwing out a bone saying something along the lines of, "finally, they are trying something and good luck." Instead of coming out guns blazing with such negativity. This just seemed extremely pessimistic considering I know how much you (and others) have wanted to see this done for a while.

IMO, it gets back to spending time enforcing laws on the books and not creating new laws. As far as who's doing it, the cops and code enforcement are the only ones that can enforce the laws. How about a little optimism "smiling" joe? ;-)

I for one say, "good luck to all involved!"

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
What is the law regarding people taking stuff they find on the beach? I have seen some mighty fine equipment left out as the sun sets-is it considered abandoned and a 'finders keepers' rule takes effect?:dunno:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
What is the law regarding people taking stuff they find on the beach? I have seen some mighty fine equipment left out as the sun sets-is it considered abandoned and a 'finders keepers' rule takes effect?:dunno:

IMO, If it is abandoned at a publically owned beach access area like Grayton, I don't see why it would be any different then being left at any other public park and thus free game. For some reason, the people that go to the beach around here are too nice :D

Every summer after the summer rental season ends, I gather up all of the stuff that has been abandoned at our private walkover, toss the broken stuff, and confiscate the good stuff. It's allowed me to provide beach chairs and beach toys for our renters so they don't have to add to the pollution by buying more stuff at Publix. I also do this in the off-season; if something is on the beach that was there on a previous visit, I remove it from the beach.

I was tempted to clean up the beach this week because of the unbelievable mess :bang: but was afraid I'd throw away something that belonged to a current renter.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
We've been coming down to Seagrove/Seaside since 1995, and this year was the first one in which we found people actually "squatting" their places next to the water. (One big family at the complex where we stayed actually had 4 linked tents and lectured another couple about this "being the 4th of July"--somehow that was supposed to give them license to be obnoxious. In previous years, everyone sclepped their stuff back to their condos every night, and it was sort of "first come first served" in terms of getting a spot in the morning. My husband is a very non-confrontational sort of person, and usually he would tell me (I'm not that way) to chill out and we'd just move elsewhere.
But this year, it frankly reminded me of the sort of "newyorkers" we came south to avoid--places were "saved" the entire week next to the water and people were quite pushy and obnoxious, and even my husband decided we too had to leave our stuff on the beach in order to have a place anywhere near the water. (at least we didn't have tents or lamps--just a few folding chairs and an umbrella).

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
you know I do need some new chairs and umbrellas....so is this stealing??? or just cleaning up the area????:dunno: :D
What is the law regarding people aking stuff they find on the beach? I have seen some mighty fine equipment left out as the sun sets-is it considered abandoned and a 'finders keepers' rule takes effect?:dunno:

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
Good ???? Just left Grayton, saw everything from toddler shoes to very nice tents set up.... Sure could use one of those for W. Indies Market!!!!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Good luck.
When reporting potential violations of environmental threats from people with track hoes, who can destroy a huge piece of property within hours, the Code Enforcement will typically arrive on the scene the following day. I have been for getting this crap off the beach for a long time, but if the Code Enforcement is so understaffed that they cannot even handle the seriously potential damaging acts, there is no way in heck that they, or our understaffed SO will be tagging and removing the thousands, yes thousands of pieces of crap from the beach.

Let's say that Pat's idea of tagging items, then removing them after 24 hours, goes through. Is the SO or CE going to recall which Walmart chair or umbrella or tent they tagged, so that they can then proceed to remove the items? Do you seriously think that the tent owner will not remove the tag?

Good luck.

I think it would be a cheaper alternative to pay a few people to clear the beach at dawn every day, and allow the collectors to keep and sell the crap which they collect. It wouldn't be tying up the Sheriff's deputies and the Code Enforcement from conducting important business like hauling beach goers to jail for sitting quietly on the beach.

I am slightly confused by your comments :dunno: . Is it that they are coming to the problem at the eleventh hour in a less than ideal manner? For the sake of optimism, how about throwing out a bone saying something along the lines of, "finally, they are trying something and good luck." Instead of coming out guns blazing with such negativity. This just seemed extremely pessimistic considering I know how much you (and others) have wanted to see this done for a while.

IMO, it gets back to spending time enforcing laws on the books and not creating new laws. As far as who's doing it, the cops and code enforcement are the only ones that can enforce the laws. How about a little optimism "smiling" joe? ;-)

I for one say, "good luck to all involved!"

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
IMO, If it is abandoned at a publically owned beach access area like Grayton, I don't see why it would be any different then being left at any other public park and thus free game. For some reason, the people that go to the beach around here are too nice :D
That might be stretching it. What if I set up my two beach chairs, sat in them for a few hours, and decided to take an hour long walk down the beach and back, and I had planned to stay even later to watch the stars, yet when I come back, my chairs were taken. Does going for a walk or swim, constitute abandonment, like it does at The Retreat?