• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
I love the comment section w/ suggested names! :clap: :funn:

"caving to st joe paper company fiasco airport"

"Swampland Pork"

"Pipe dream"

Emerald Coast International Airport (ECI). Let's face it, folks come here for our beaches. Last thing we need is name that reminds folks they just landed at Red Neck International (RNI).

Dogfly International! Or, White Elephant air patch. 330 million dollars, yeah right as with all government fiascos we tax payers are looking at over 400 million when its all done.
that's less than 2 days military spending in Iraq doing God's work.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
that's less than 2 days military spending in Iraq doing God's work.

Your right stop the airport, spread democracy!

:lolabove: It has potential but may be a bit too brief. Can you flesh it out some?

They'd have to start on the next wing if I flesh it out anymore.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
From WZEP news:

"Vernon To Get a Four Lane Highway

The FDOT wants to four lane State Road 79 from U.S. 98 to I-10. The project is divided into sections in the three counties it will cross. For most of the rout the plans call for a four lane rural highway. For some sections, particularity through the town of Vernon, the project calls for four lanes with sidewalks, curbs and guttering. Usually a new road through town is something communities seek, for some in Vernon the roadway will mean drastic changes and the loss of several businesses.

Holmes Creek at Vernon is listed with both design and rights-of-way in process. For much of the rest of the project the design is underway, but rights-of-way and construction are not yet funded. The plans call for the small two lane narrow bridge over Holmes Creek to be replaced with twin two-lane bridges. The project will also make the road where Steel Field Road connects a four lane road and will add another bridge at West Bay. In its project description, the FDOT notes there will be significant utilities in Vernon.

While its neighbor to the west, Walton County, is still begging every government official who will listen to give them a single north south four lane road, the state is planning on creating another north south four lane highway to evacuate Bay County. The estimated cost is $620 million.

In doing so the state is planning to remove most of the buildings on the west side of the highway. Half of main street Vernon will be gone. For some, the widened highway will mean their homes, which are a block or two west of the current highway, will be more valuable as they become property with highway frontage. For many others it will mean a loss of the small restaurants, service stations, church, grocery store and other businesses, which make up most of Vernon.

The St. Petersburg Times notes Vernon?s past and how, in a reflection of past events Vernon, is being dismembered.http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/02/Life/Dismembered_again.shtml. The small town has roots as Washington County?s Seat and as a steamboat port.

Some residents do not like the idea of their town being half torn apart and are asking why a by-pass is not being planned. Mayor Ward is quoted at saying it is avoidable, the state could have routed the new highway through the woods to the west, thus leaving Vernon unscathed. He says business owners probably wouldn't lose money if the highway shifted because most of their money comes from local residents, not tourists.

Tommie Speights with the FDOT explains the decision to run the highway through Vernon is based on the city fathers, the county and the general public coming to a consensus that if they bypassed it, it would really kill the city. The Times says every Vernon resident they interviewed about the issue said exactly the opposite, the widening, not the bypassing, would result in the city's death.

Will Vernon be lost as a town or will it become an active stop on an important rout to the beaches and a new airport?"

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
79 is becoming a massive corridor and will likely become the busiest north-south road between I-110 in Pensacola and I-75 at Lake City. The old Vernon will go bye bye, replaced by massive golf communities and strip malls.

Thanks for posting the SPT article that is fascinating reading.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
79 is becoming a massive corridor and will likely become the busiest north-south road between I-110 in Pensacola and I-75 at Lake City. The old Vernon will go bye bye, replaced by massive golf communities and strip malls.

What, no more boondocks? :dunno:

Thanks for posting the SPT article that is fascinating reading.

Thanks for reading it when I posted it before Kurt. :roll:

Thanks NotDeadYet for the entire article. That was interesting! I've seen so much happening my last two drives on 79. We have started taking hwy 20 to Tallahassee, which soon might be the only way to avoid all this congestion. :rotfl:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
I love the comment section w/ suggested names! :clap: :funn:

"caving to st joe paper company fiasco airport"

"Swampland Pork"

"Pipe dream"

Emerald Coast International Airport (ECI). Let's face it, folks come here for our beaches. Last thing we need is name that reminds folks they just landed at Red Neck International (RNI).

Dogfly International! Or, White Elephant air patch. 330 million dollars, yeah right as with all government fiascos we tax payers are looking at over 400 million when its all done.

What about "Take-off, eh" in defrence to all the Canucks we hope to lure down here?

Take-off A International

Bob and Doug fans anyone?

Chuckster

Beach Comber
Sep 20, 2007
Hey, what about "Mikey's International"......
I have a hunch that Disney is planning a huge, new development
in West Bay....(the perfect new location).....
Consider:
a new International Airport...
Huge, unspoiled wilderness...(cheap)....
Intercoastal access...
Beautiful beaches....
Hotel rooms galore.....
New upscale residential projects....
and a good neighbor named Jo.....

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Hey, what about "Mikey's International"......
I have a hunch that Disney is planning a huge, new development
in West Bay....(the perfect new location).....
Consider:
a new International Airport...
Huge, unspoiled wilderness...(cheap)....
Intercoastal access...
Beautiful beaches....
Hotel rooms galore.....
New upscale residential projects....
and a good neighbor named Jo.....

There has long been a rumor of a Disney Cruise out of Port Panama City. :dunno: