• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

#1Volunteer

Beach Comber
May 19, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Spring Wine

That would be pretty cool tho. Don't know if Seaside could handle that many peeps in town. Homeowners don't want crowds, but merchants do...and I don't blame them either!

Word is that the Spring Wine event was not being supported by the Wine vendors/dist, since it's on the heals of the Sandestin Wine thingy. Unfortuntantly they hold the key, well Wine key that is!!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

dmarie

Beach Lover
Aug 22, 2007
Eden
<Rant mode on>
As I've said before, it flies in the face of the friendly, open vibe that Seaside formerly had as a "poster child" for the New Urban movement. If it was wide open like the usual free Seaside weekly entertainment, it would be jammed. The new management company at Seaside has different ideas...
<Rant mode off>

Too bad that you don't know from whence you speak! It was a fund raiser and how else can you raise funds if you don't control the entrance and charge admission. Seaside offers enough other free events in an attempt to give back to the public.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect every event at Seaside to be free!

Ticket prices may have been too high, but all of the similar events in the area cost $, even if it's a nominal amount (less than $20) to defray costs.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thread added to the SoWal.com home page.

080526-seaside-066.jpg

#1Volunteer

Beach Comber
May 19, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Kurt

I have to ask, but do you really think selling tickets to an Open venue will work?? I always trying to think good of people, but come on now! An event would have to sell a butt load of beer, food, event merch, etc...to off-set the cost of having this music talent??

PS
Good to meet you at the event on Sun.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I have to ask, but do you really think selling tickets to an Open venue will work?? I always trying to think good of people, but come on now! An event would have to sell a butt load of beer, food, event merch, etc...to off-set the cost of having this music talent??

PS

Yes, it can. I think JDarg had a very good idea and that was to begin the music outside the confines of the green. I bet you could lure plenty of people (who otherwise had no intention of paying) into the gate by starting the party outside. I know, sounds crazy, but think about it...start every day off with a performance by a brass band or Mardi Gras Indian tribe as they make the rounds through the town center, across 30-A into the merchant's area then back across 30-A into the venue. These groups are built for portablility and I promise would make a connection with many people who would want to see them finish and see what was to follow. I think a reasonably priced ticket is part of the equation...$45 buys one general admission into the New Orleans jazz fest all day. Advertise the heck out of it and offer a premium VIP seating/lounge area for a more expensive ticket. Add value to all tickets-perhaps Bud and Alley's would be kind enough to knock 10% off of a meal with a ticket stub for example.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

PS

Good to meet you also! I believe with enough time for planning and marketing, which Seaside now has for next year's event, there's no reason why the next one can't be much more profitable than this year. But breaking even might be a realistic goal.

The event will always be limited in size because of space and parking. Maybe bring in sponsors to boost profits and keep ticket prices down if needed.

I really don't think a wall of tents is necessary. Just enough to separate the in from the out. People won't be hanging out in the gaps, and if they did, friendly security and staff can encourage them to buy tickets and come on in. Only a couple of tents along Scenic 30A are necessary. If people try to hang out there then friendly reminders from staff that the walkway needs to be kept clear is enough.

Once the amphitheater is full, is there much reason to worry about who's not on the grass?

Linda

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
It was an awesome show tonight. The talent over both weekends was outstanding. My compliments to Kristin Banker and all the staff and volunteers that pulled it off in a short amount of time. There may be some things that will be done differently next time but I can assure you no one on the grass was unhappy.

There were quite a few people hanging out in the cheap seats on the balcony at Central Square Records and Raw & Juicy. :lol:

Photos and video to follow.

Raw & Juicy Smoothie - $6

Cheap Seat for Neville Brothers - Priceless :D

#1Volunteer

Beach Comber
May 19, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Kurt

Oh yeah, I think they (Seaside Merchants Assoc.) will be looking at all of the pros and cons for next year to help make it better i.e. ticket prices, bands, additional sponsors, merchant participation, food/drink, etc... Maybe do one long weekend packed with musical acts all day long at a cheaper ticket..

Still trying to figure out how an open venue (i.e. with maybe a low fence) won't cause an issue...How would one combat the folks that pay and complain about the folks that can see the acts from outside the fence? Just a thought..

Hell, never mind. They have a long time to figure that one out. I just hope they (Seaside) doesn't give up on the event. With NOLA 4 1/2 hrs away, too many awesome bands to miss out on!
Tanks

PS Major bummer to the peeps that are boasting of not paying (Supporting) to see the musical acts.