• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
LEO
How long have you lived/ worked in Walton County. If you have been here any length of time you know what you are asking, you are asking the deputies to take a chance. If they were able to, as I understand it there is a certain amount of protection and there are certain things that can not change without negotiations. Now I am not accusing you or anyone else of anything, but just for instance, lets say you are looking at a high ranking position in a new administration, maybe that would change because there is a supervisors bargaining unit and you may not be able to take the job you were promised. This is just for instance, not saying that happens in Walton County. Chapman was busted to road Deputy form what, second in command, HOW IS THAT FAIR. Don't get me wrong iI was not a fan of that Sheriff or his administration, but it was not fair.
As to the Sheriff encouraging or discouraging participation in a Union is wrong. The current Sheriff also has a Fudiciary responsibility that he could be held accountable. This is Chapter 447, check it out.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0447/ch0447.htm

AA, are you referring to private sector unions or public sector unions? I am sure we are taking a hit in the market but I have faith in the American economy that it will bounce back as it has every time it has taken a hit over the last 70 some odd years. Not saying it will be fast but it will.

Last edited:
LEO
How long have you lived/ worked in Walton County. If you have been here any length of time you know what you are asking, you are asking the deputies to take a chance. If they were able to, as I understand it there is a certain amount of protection and there are certain things that can not change without negotiations. Now I am not accusing you or anyone else of anything, but just for instance, lets say you are looking at a high ranking position in a new administration, maybe that would change because there is a supervisors bargaining unit and you may not be able to take the job you were promised. This is just for instance, not saying that happens in Walton County. Chapman was busted to road Deputy form what, second in command, HOW IS THAT FAIR. Don't get me wrong iI was not a fan of that Sheriff or his administration, but it was not fair.
As to the Sheriff encouraging or discouraging participation in a Union is wrong. The current Sheriff also has a Fudiciary responsibility that he could be held accountable. This is Chapter 447, check it out.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0447/ch0447.htm

AA, are you referring to private sector unions or public sector unions? I am sure we are taking a hit in the market but I have faith in the American economy that it will bounce back as it has every time it has taken a hit over the last 70 some odd years. Not saying it will be fast but it will.

Teamsters were mentioned in this thread. I understand their retirement benefits have decreased. At the current rate of decrease in benefits where does that leave 35 year olds, who are paying big dues today from their paycheck, at retirement?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Public sector and private sector have both taken a hit in the market, but the WCSO I would venture to guess, is part of the State Retirement Plan which Charlie Crist has called a surplus, I think. Just because the Teamsters would or could represent, would not necessarily mean they would be part of the Teamsters retirement. The Teamsters were the one attempting to organize Panama City PD.

leo101

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2008
LEO

Surely you are not suggesting that a new sheriff should not be able to bring in his own administrative staff. I agree that busting the #2 man down to a slick sleeve deputy is a bit extreme, but to strap a new sheriff with an out going sheriff?s administrative staff is asking a lot.

Any top ranking staff member knows that there is always the possibility of a shake up in four years. I can see Sergeants and below, but generally Lieutenants and above are not covered under most bargaining agreements.

If you will, you have suggested that you ?may? go Danny?s way on elections day. With that being said, he has stated that Dennis Ward would be his #2 man. What would you suggest be done with the current #2 person at the S.O?

crazytimes

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008
I have ask a deputy

and this is not a union. Not the kind you guys are talking about. The PBA protects if you get sued they give you a lawyer. It does not do all this other stuff. So what is all the hype in the media about it. I was told they have it all wrong. :dunno: I even went and read their site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
My personal view is that a new Sheriff should be able to place his own top people. I would have to know how many, Lieutenants there are in the department and how many ranks above it there are. I would suspect that LT's would be considered supervisory and should be part of the supervisory unit. I mean you have 200 some odd employees, how many people should he have to fire to bring in his own people. Oh and don't say the new Sheriff won't fire anyone, because he has to make room for those at the top to go to the lower positions. And what would really be wrong with replacing maybe 3 of the top slots and leaving the rest in place and give them the guidance that the new Sheriff wants and give them the opportunity to perform. These are professional men and women and to have a professional department would seem you would want some continuity in the chain of command. Unfortunately that might hinder the paybacks for support that always come. Fairness is all I am seeking. I also realize there will be some folks who will leave on their own accord but with the tight economic times it may be less likely.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Maybe Mike and Danny would like to address that, I know that would be one issue that I would be interested in knowing their thoughts on.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
and this is not a union. Not the kind you guys are talking about. The PBA protects if you get sued they give you a lawyer. It does not do all this other stuff. So what is all the hype in the media about it. I was told they have it all wrong. :dunno:

There is a difference, as I understand it, between being a member of the PBA and/or choosing to have a collective bargaining agreement. Just being a member would protect you or help defend you in case of a lawsuit. The second part could potentially tie a new Sheriffs hands with personnel and or removing or even providing extra compensation, if entered into by the sitting Sheriff. I also understand that this is at a very early stage and the deputies have not met yet with the PBA to disuss the pros and cons on affilaitation or membership. Tomorrows edition of The Herald/Beach Breeze has an article with comments from Johnson, Adkinson and Griffith on the issue.:wave:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Based on the NWF Daily News, I was under the impression that the 30% requirement to go for a vote had been met. That could be incorrect but that was how I understood it.