• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
My wife and I have heard that the district attorney has told the beach patrol that the ordinance prohibiting items left on the beaches overnight will no longer be enforced. That would appear to be true, judging by the canopies, chairs, etc sitting on our part of the beach. This would be another big waste of money since the county was spending a lot to put out the word about the policy of removal, which now seems to be dead.

Comments?

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
The TDC has been removing abandoned items left at County owned public access areas. I have checked to make sure this continues and will post later if I learn something has changed.
Posted via Mobile Device

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
We were within about 50 yards of the South Wall Street public access.

The county-owned access at Wall Street is only the width of the road so the 50 yards would be outside of those boundries and County ownership.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
My thought is that most beaches in America (with notable exceptions) are left relatively clean and clear in the evening compared to nearby panhandle beaches. Tourists know that if they leave items on the beach they may not be there in the morning. If they don't remove items they are gathered by local authorities, or people taking it for their own gain. I doubt there are any serious legal concerns with keeping beaches clean.

I'm not sure how we got into this situation where many people who visit here think they can leave their junk on the beach for as long as they want.

I doubt the county has the manpower to handle the load on holiday weekends, or the busy season for that matter. I think the way to end the problem is to make a commitment to funding education and enforcement, hire subcontractors if necessary, and take a hard line for a couple of years until it becomes common knowledge that you must "remove it or lose it".

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
"I'm not sure how we got into this situation where many people who visit here think they can leave their junk on the beach for as long as they want."

Kurt, I think the problem stems from the perception in visitors minds that this is the "Red Neck Riviera" and so anything goes. That and many of the beach users are "Red Necks" whose own front yards look like junk yards. No pride in their own private property so why would they have any in the public's. Sorry if this sounds like a harsh assessment but true IMO.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
"I'm not sure how we got into this situation where many people who visit here think they can leave their junk on the beach for as long as they want."

Kurt, I think the problem stems from the perception in visitors minds that this is the "Red Neck Riviera" and so anything goes. That and many of the beach users are "Red Necks" whose own front yards look like junk yards. No pride in their own private property so why would they have any in the public's. Sorry if this sounds like a harsh assessment but true IMO.

You may be right about some beaches, but here in SoWal it is more an attitude of, "I am paying a lot of money to you people, I can do what I want". A clear case of bad apples spoiling the bunch.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Laziness and entitlement both seem to be factors IMO. :angry:

And it's definitely not every visitor or tourist. I've seen many people do a great job of cleaning up after themselves - even when that meant toting a double kayak, coolers, and stuff for several kids up and down the multiple flights of stairs each day, so it's definitely DOABLE!

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]

Dave Sell <dsell@beachesofsouthwalton.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 08:23:13 -0500
To: Kevin Hargett <harkevin@co.walton.fl.us>
Conversation: items on the beach
Subject: Re: items on the beach

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Kevin,
We were instructed b y the county attorney to immediately cease removing items off the beach unless is a hazard.
Dave
[/FONT]​