• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Maybe the way to get the County to do something about this growing problem is for me to buy a crap load of tents and put them shoulder to shoulder down the entire stretch of beach, staking my claim of the beach. If someone wants to see the Gulf, they could purchase one of my front row spots on the beach. I bet that would get the County's attention.

Just be sure to avoid the stretches of beach that are private:roll:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'll claim them too, since the public has been using them for years. If I'm going to jail for it, I may as well get my money's worth. ;)

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think you need to hang signs and rubber turtles on them - so they can distinguish your trash from all the other stuff.

Sadly, without a label many won't notice anything new going on. :angry:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
They will notice when the tourists and residents start complaining about having to rent a tent from me in order to see the Gulf.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I've come to the conclusion that I'm not picking up any trash off the beach this summer--not a butt, not a Capri-Son package, not a hair scrunchie. I'm not going to go down for walks with trashbags; I'm not going to pick up the junk left over from the 4th of July and New Years fireworks displays; I'm not going to participate in any "beach cleaning" gatherings.

Since I've returned from my trip to UK, I went to the beach once and came away totally disgusted; I haven't walked along the beach since--it just isn't as pleasant as it used to be and has gotten worse with every passing year. First it was the trash; then it was the "overnight toys and stuff;" next came the tents; and this year's "junk of choice"....the inflatable kiddy pool! :shock:. WTF???

Maybe if the trash and junk piles up and the visitors start to complain, the officials will finally "get it" and do something about it--until then, my apologies to the turtles, I can only hope that we'll get a handle on this situation come nesting time next year.

So all you beach goers--keep leaving your trash all over the beach; keep putting up your tent cities with your above-ground pools...the more the merrier, enjoy your summer holidays here on the panhandle!

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I gotta chime in agreeing with Shelly.

I've only been living here since 2004, and it literally HAS gotten visibly worse every year, at least on "my" little home stretch of beach near the Ramsgate walkover. First everybody quit sitting back from the water and moved their stuff up next to the water, making it difficult to walk the beach. Then the digging of crater-sized holes started. Then the tents. Wouldn't surprise me to see some impromptu carpentry. Maybe portable generators to power some fans and lighting for evening.

The area near Ramsgate will always be crowded, as it services the popular Ryan Street and Chelsea Loop rentals. But, it doesn't have to be unpleasant, too.

Like I've said before, a little urban opportunism would go a long way. If you leave your stuff on a CA beach, one of the resident bums will have it in a minute. Just post a sign on the walkovers, "FREE STUFF after 7 PM".

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Where is that photo of the Asian Beach that circulates every now and then?

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I gotta chime in agreeing with Shelly.

I've only been living here since 2004, and it literally HAS gotten visibly worse every year, at least on "my" little home stretch of beach near the Ramsgate walkover. First everybody quit sitting back from the water and moved their stuff up next to the water, making it difficult to walk the beach. Then the digging of crater-sized holes started. Then the tents. Wouldn't surprise me to see some impromptu carpentry. Maybe portable generators to power some fans and lighting for evening.

Who needs a $10,000 Rolex-in-a-cooler when you can buy one of these for $800 less? Anyone seen one yet?

19165-s-z_2401_st_2388_st.jpg