• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
I think most on here would be surprised at how many people don't tip for takeout. I would guess 75% don't.

Green Knight

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2009
I think most on here would be surprised at how many people don't tip for takeout. I would guess 75% don't.

And why would you??....I don't even think to do it...all the employee has done is throw a few styrofoam cartons in a plastic bag along with maybe a few Sysco Set- Ups...like someone said earlier it is no different then a drive thru at Popeyes...In N Out Burger...etc etc...Tipping is getting completely out of control where the Customer is almost expected to start paying the Owners Employees...

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It's clear as mud.

Whether I tip or not depends on the meal and who is doing the order taking/prep.

When it simply consists of the kitchen putting a standard menu item in a container, and the owner is the one taking my money I usually don't tip.

When it's a real "meal" with sides, fixings, or I get it made a certain way, and I assume the person doing it works for tips, I tip.

And when I feel the restaurant is nickel and diming me with take-out fees, surcharges, etc not only do I not tip, I stop going there.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
What's funny is when you get a takeout from the limited offering budget conscious menu of a high end restaurant. They don't even ring you up right away. No, they give you that plastic billfold with your bill inside and give you a minute to ponder how much your going to pay while you stand around. Then you put your money inside, give it to them, and they ask you if you want change. "Damn straight I do", says I. Then you stand around for another 5 minutes and wait for them to come back with your change. Last time I ever do that. The meal wasn't even that good. Imagine how I'd have felt if I left a tip.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
I generally don't tip on take out orders unless I've been served at the bar while I wait. (In that case I tip on the bar tab not the order.) There's really no good reason to - the bartender or some other person takes the order, the kitchen works it up, and the bartender walks it twenty feet and runs your card. There's no time and very little effort involved by the service staff. Exceptions of course when they're slammed with customers or whatever, but generally I don't think it's necessary.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I thought that way too until I was schooled by friends in the service industry.

The waitstaff could be waiting on a 20%+ tip table, or getting $0 for taking/preparing your to-go order.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
I thought that way too until I was schooled by friends in the service industry.

The waitstaff could be waiting on a 20%+ tip table, or getting $0 for taking/preparing your to-go order.

Waitstaff do a lot of crap they would rather not do. (Filling salt and pepper shakers, wiping menus, cleaning a chunk of the QA line..) Working up a togo order is the least of their worries, it's the same as running some other waiter's food.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
This just came up in a discussion a few days ago - I think the general consensus was, "OK, if less than 15%."

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I do have to agree with Lucifersam about the response "do you want change?" The correct thing for a server to say/do is .. "I will be right back with your change." Alot of servers think that it is ok since alot of times they go get the change only to get back to the table to hear "oh, thats for you." But what they think is a time saving question (particularly if they are busy) can be construed as expecting whats left to be for them. I have come to the realization that there are some things you can expect as a server...you will have to roll more silver than you ever use, you will come to hate cheerios and goldfish crackers, and you WILL get "stiffed" on occasion.