• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
This thread was NOT about the Alys Party!

Every event this year we have gone to buy tickets and said "Wow, we didn't pay that much last year, did we?"

I know that prices increase and it costs money to put events on - that was why I asked organizers to consider other funding options besides raising ticket prices - like charging more for optional extras like food, drink, souvenirs, VIP spaces etc.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
This thread was NOT about the Alys Party!

Every event this year we have gone to buy tickets and said "Wow, we didn't pay that much last year, did we?"

I know that prices increase and it costs money to put events on - that was why I asked organizers to consider other funding options besides raising ticket prices - like charging more for optional extras like food, drink, souvenirs, VIP spaces etc.

Now you are asking organizers to depend on locals to spend more on food and drink when they are the ones most likely to have a car bar going or to have eaten before going to an event. I think the bottom line is this-putting on good events is expensive and it just might not fit into everyone's budget. It isn't just SOWAL;think about how crazy expensive it is to go to a movie, going to an NFL game is a several hundred dollar affair, college football games are pricey, etc.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
No, I am saying that if the event is truly to draw big spending tourists into the area, the ticket price is not the only place to make money.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
The answer is easy, if the event is too pricey, volunteer. There are plenty of people buying tickets, enough that many events are selling out. Some events cannot expand any further, so they cannot just sell more tickets. Supply and demand will partly determine pricing.

Not much different than the real estate market. Supply and demand are the driving forces behind pricing. Just because locals want to buy a home, doesn't mean the home price should be cheaper. Locals still have to compete with vacation owners.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The same thing happens in Atlanta with events -- the popular events keep raising their prices until they hit the right balance of ticket prices and attendance! We have to make choices every year -- how many shows at the fox theater or chastain will we go to, how many sporting events, which attractions to go to (six fags, aquarium, zoo). Most of these events bank on tourist to buy tickets and locals don't get any price breaks. It really shouldn't be any different at the beach!

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
which attractions to go to (six fags, aquarium, zoo). Most of these events bank on tourist to buy tickets and locals don't get any price breaks. It really shouldn't be any different at the beach!

Hmmm, I might be inclined to bust my budget to go to Six fags out of curiosity. ;-)

At places like Universal Studios, et al, they heavily discount the rates to Floridians. I've also seen the rates come down drastically in New York City on Broadway shows, even adding in dates on weekdays to draw in more people. With the economy in the crapper, I have to appreciate the venues that make the effort even in light of rising prices on other goods and services to accommodate the event.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Hmmm, I might be inclined to bust my budget to go to Six fags out of curiosity. ;-)

At places like Universal Studios, et al, they heavily discount the rates to Floridians. I've also seen the rates come down drastically in New York City on Broadway shows, even adding in dates on weekdays to draw in more people. With the economy in the crapper, I have to appreciate the venues that make the effort even in light of rising prices on other goods and services to accommodate the event.

I don't remember getting discounts at Universal or Disney, but maybe we did. Still, the prices are sky freaking high - discount or no discount! worth it though, mostly. if you love crowds and standing in line. and bad food. and aching/bloody feet at the end of the day. Still - its funn! once is enough.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I don't remember getting discounts at Universal or Disney, but maybe we did. Still, the prices are sky freaking high - discount or no discount! worth it though, mostly. if you love crowds and standing in line. and bad food. and aching/bloody feet at the end of the day. Still - its funn! once is enough.

The "Florida Resident" discount is pretty pathetic for anything less than an annual pass. A few bucks- woo hoo! And yeah, I am good on the Orlando parks for another 4 or 5 years!

I don't remember getting a "locals discount" for anything when we lived in Louisville! Maybe I should call up Churchill Downs and see if they will cut me a locals deal on Derby tickets.:lol:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The "Florida Resident" discount is pretty pathetic for anything less than an annual pass. A few bucks- woo hoo! And yeah, I am good on the Orlando parks for another 4 or 5 years!

I don't remember getting a "locals discount" for anything when we lived in Louisville! Maybe I should call up Churchill Downs and see if they will cut me a locals deal on Derby tickets.:lol:

we went to disney about 3 years ago and said I would never go back. but I think I'm in for one more visit - maybe Universal and Seaworld this time.