• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
This was posted on facebook by Amanda Ates who was an English teacher at Freeport High School for several years. Her husband, Scottie, was a teacher at Freeport Middle School. I have re-posted with her permission.

"I don’t feel that FB should be a venue for controversial “ness”, but… Please look at the following link when considering your vote for superintendent of Walton County Schools in the upcoming primary election. Do not be misled by Florida’s “letter” grade for schools. Ultimately, the national standard, or Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), is what is used to determine if schools are successful in educating their children. The data speaks for itself. Only TWO our of 17 met AYP in 2010-2011. Some schools have not met AYP for years. In a discussion between my mother and your current superintendent in late 2005, my mother was told that as long as I (your current superintendent) am superintendent He (Scottie) will never have a place in administration in this county.” Why? Did she owe someone a political favor? You may think that we don’t have a “dog” in this fight… but oh yes we do. Our leaving Walton County, due to political wickedness, took its toll on our family – it hurt Scottie’s dad, an obvious respected leader in the community, more than words could ever express. Yes, we were bitter for a time; however, God always knows best and our move to Alabama has been a BLESSING BEYOND WORDS for our family. We love our church, community, friends, and schools. And as an administrator for FIVE years at Eufaula High School, my husband has seen EHS meet AYP until this last school year. And, changes are being made within our district to remedy this. NOT changes in the best interest of votes, but in the best interest of students.... If given a chance, Scottie would have been an excellent administrator in his hometown; however, he is RIGHT WHERE GOD WANTS HIM TO BE. Please consider Trisha Porter Hutchison when you cast your vote in August. She may lack experience, but I feel that she has the students’ best interest at heart and that is of utmost importance."

School Accountability Report .
schoolgrades.fldoe.org

Well if that is as well as a teacher can write then we need better teachers than her. Strike one. Sounds like someone with a serious axe to grind and without the character to refrain from making herself look bad in public. Strike two. If GOD does everything for us and we are exactly where GOD wants us to be then why all the complaining? Strike three.

I am inclined to vote the other way because of ugly people like this.

Jessie Floyd

Beach Comber
Jul 28, 2012
I thought Carlene Anderson was not allowed to campaign on company time. Hmm. What about the letter she recently sent out to current and former students? I thought the letter crossed the line into the campaign realm. She sent about 8,000 letters if I had to guess. I assume this was done on company time using company money for the employees, paper, envelops, color printing and postage. All that expense just to explain and justify why WCSD has dropped in performance. What was the emergency that required it be sent out now, rather than just sending the letters home with students on the first day of school? OH, perhaps she needed it to go out well in advance of the Primary! The letter she sent out made it sound like ALL counties experienced a drop in performance. While Walton definitely dropped in performance, we need only to look nearby to find other counties that managed to maintain their performance.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Okaloosa School Superintendent.

Thank you. I don't follow school politics. This thread makes me think that all the people running things never evolved beyond high school.

This thread is starting to smell like old fish. A lot of new posters seem to have a lot of the same problems with someone in particular.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Thank you. I don't follow school politics. This thread makes me think that all the people running things never evolved beyond high school.

This thread is starting to smell like old fish. A lot of new posters seem to have a lot of the same problems with someone in particular.

It is election time, haven't you noticed?

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
According to the reports, Alexis Tibbits contributed $300 to Anderson's campaign and Mrs. Anderson contributed $300 to Tibbets's campaign. Sen. Gaetz has contributed to Anderson as well as the head honcho of Nokuse Plantation. I haven't seen where Jay Odom and his many companies have contributed anything this year. The bottom line is that if the citizens of Walton county want the same old political machine running everything, then the incumbents and some hand picked favorites will win. I've been to quite a few school board meetings and Mrs. Anderson's decisions are never challenged by the board and individual personnel recommendations are always put to the board as a whole and never individually. No names or qualifications are ever mentioned. The exception is when Mr. Davis' relatives are recommended and he abstains from voting on them. Another fact is that non-renewed annual contract teachers, even ones who had excellent evaluations are never rehired. And I have the information from the DOE that the school district refused to send me confirming that. I'll be glad to share this with anyone who is interested in seeing it. So much for "transparency". My sense is that in the district 1 board position, Mrs. Anderson has hand picked one of the candidates.

Harriet Livingston

Beach Crab
Jul 27, 2012
One of the new coordinatos hired gave $500, and I think his wife also gave the max.

Speaking of this new administrator who came from Palm Beach Co. has quite a history on the internet.

Have not checked it out yet. Will let ya'll know.