• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Yes yes, superintendent should be appointed by school board. How do we change this? i am so tired of education run by politics. Nobody running for school board should mention their political affiliation. It is irrelevant - unless of course they are going for the segment of the population that votes only for party, and anyone voting for party in school board and judicial races should have their voter cards revoked. And candidates touting their party affiliations (or religious preferences) before their qualifications for office are really annoying.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
My interest in public education stems from my wife having been a teacher for more than 30 years and the fact that I have a son who finished at South Walton High and a grandchild in elementary school. I've attended lots of board meetings and the last time I saw the board not vote unanomously in favor of all the superintendent's recommendations was when Mr. Laird was on the board. In my world, a CEO, manager or superintendent of schools should serve at the pleasure of the board. In Walton County, the tail wags the dog. There seems to be an air of fear and intimidation with our current administration and I find that unhealthy. People, especially teachers are afraid to speak up and with the 9:00 AM board meetings it's difficult for the public to access the board or superintendent. And forget having a board member respond to an e-mail or letter.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I have always received a response from any email or phone call to Mark Davis.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I have always received a response from any email or phone call to Mark Davis.

True, Mr. Davis responds. The problem is, in typical lawyer fashion, he skates around an issue or concern and doesn't answer a question with a definitive answer. And why is he the only board member who will respond? I live in District 1. He isn't my representative on the board.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
True, Mr. Davis responds. The problem is, in typical lawyer fashion, he skates around an issue or concern and doesn't answer a question with a definitive answer. And why is he the only board member who will respond? I live in District 1. He isn't my representative on the board.

I don't look at it as "typical lawyer fashion". I find that he looks into a matter and gets back to me with an answer. It might not always be the answer I want to hear. I will issue a disclaimer here- he is the only board member I contact, and he is not my district either, but overall I trust his motives, intelligence, and honesty.

BJackson

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2010
Blue Mountain Beach, Florida
This was posted on facebook by Amanda Ates who was an English teacher at Freeport High School for several years. Her husband, Scottie, was a teacher at Freeport Middle School. I have re-posted with her permission.

"I don’t feel that FB should be a venue for controversial “ness”, but… Please look at the following link when considering your vote for superintendent of Walton County Schools in the upcoming primary election. Do not be misled by Florida’s “letter” grade for schools. Ultimately, the national standard, or Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), is what is used to determine if schools are successful in educating their children. The data speaks for itself. Only TWO our of 17 met AYP in 2010-2011. Some schools have not met AYP for years. In a discussion between my mother and your current superintendent in late 2005, my mother was told that as long as I (your current superintendent) am superintendent He (Scottie) will never have a place in administration in this county.” Why? Did she owe someone a political favor? You may think that we don’t have a “dog” in this fight… but oh yes we do. Our leaving Walton County, due to political wickedness, took its toll on our family – it hurt Scottie’s dad, an obvious respected leader in the community, more than words could ever express. Yes, we were bitter for a time; however, God always knows best and our move to Alabama has been a BLESSING BEYOND WORDS for our family. We love our church, community, friends, and schools. And as an administrator for FIVE years at Eufaula High School, my husband has seen EHS meet AYP until this last school year. And, changes are being made within our district to remedy this. NOT changes in the best interest of votes, but in the best interest of students.... If given a chance, Scottie would have been an excellent administrator in his hometown; however, he is RIGHT WHERE GOD WANTS HIM TO BE. Please consider Trisha Porter Hutchison when you cast your vote in August. She may lack experience, but I feel that she has the students’ best interest at heart and that is of utmost importance."

School Accountability Report .
schoolgrades.fldoe.org

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
Thanks for posting that. It's good to know that I'm not the only former teacher who feels that the current administration has not acted in the best interest of the people and especially the children of Walton County. I've written letters to the school board that remain unanswered after two years. The fact is that when a teacher in Walton county is dismissed they never seem to be rehired. That doesn't happen in surrounding counties. The collective bargaining agreement states that when openings become available, non renewed annual contract teachers will receive FIRST consideration. I suppose that attorney Davis would argue "it all depends on what the word 'consideration' means". To me it means the first called for an interview. It's a fact that teacher quality and experience has declined. I'm not a native of Walton County and I'm not in with the wine and cheese elite so I, like a lot of other people are insignificant. But I love teaching, my childrens' performance reflects that I got the job done, but I was discarded because teachers are like used tissue paper to some people. You have to pay teachers more if they have graduate degrees and lots of experience.

Beulah Bonner

Beach Crab
Jul 27, 2012
At the board meeting held in July, additional ESE staff was NOT the recommendation of the superintendent. In fact, four members of last years ESE staff were transferred to a newly created department. All the ESE staff were given about a week's notice to move out of their offices to make room for the new department.

These folks were moved across town to the old Walton High School. The spaces provided to them were not ready. There was no furniture, phones, or air conditioning.

The old offices that the ESE department had to leave were painted and prepared for the NEW department. All the locks were changed on the building.

I thought that the board was promised that the money for new salaries would come from general fund. Not true! I thought that NEW positions were not added! Not true.

There are two new administrators at the White House. Count them. Who was there last year and who is there now? Ask for names. It's public record. Right, Mrs. Harris.

The decisions made at this board meeting were not made with disabled children in mind. The decisions made removed some services from disabled children that were provided last year.

ricky bobby

Banned
Aug 24, 2011
Tallahassee, Fl
In the superintendents race I believe there are many issues not just the ESE offices. Questions have been raised that she and the board haven't answered. And isn't it a little bit curious that in the last election, a wealthy developer who is also tight with former Rep. Sansom contributed several thousand dollars to Mrs. Anderson's campaign? That same developer has interests in Okaloosa county too. The office of superintendent is too political and too many political connections are in play. That needs to change. People don't give money to polticians for no reason. Ethics is missing in all of Walton county politics, and there is about as much transparency here as their is in Washington DC.