• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
You are right about the thread being hijacked. Sorry. I have a question for Trish Hutchinson. Just how much is your associaltion with the teacher's union going to affect your decisions as school superintendent vs. that of the betterment in any situation for the students and parents?

What a disingenuous way of "asking a question" of Trish Hutchinson. Allow me to reciprocate on her behalf: Andy A, when will you quit beating your wife? Before the animal sacrifice or afterward? Discuss.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
What a disingenuous way of "asking a question" of Trish Hutchinson. Allow me to reciprocate on her behalf: Andy A, when will you quit beating your wife? Before the animal sacrifice or afterward? Discuss.

Please tell me how I should have asked her how her association with the union and teachers would affect her decisions? It is a question that should be answered quite easily by her before she gets my vote. I know what the answer should be. Do you?

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
It's a fair question to ask of Ms. Hutchison. As a teacher and being associated with the teachers union perhaps she might be a little more sensitive to the concerns of other teachers and parents than a person who probably has little interaction with teachers. But that's a question she should answer.

Jessie Floyd

Beach Comber
Jul 28, 2012
One of the new coordinatos hired gave $500, and I think his wife also gave the max.

Speaking of this new administrator who came from Palm Beach Co. has quite a history on the internet.

Have not checked it out yet. Will let ya'll know.

Are you talking about one of the new coordinators hired at WCSD? To what did he give $500?

Blue_Mountain_Mike

Beach Crab
Jul 31, 2012
"The fact is that a lot of instructional candidates with better qualifications are passed over for less qualified teachers. It is a fact that in Walton County the number of experienced teachers with graduate degrees is below the state average."

Would you mind citing your source?

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
"The fact is that a lot of instructional candidates with better qualifications are passed over for less qualified teachers. It is a fact that in Walton County the number of experienced teachers with graduate degrees is below the state average."

I'm married to one of the teachers who were passed over. She taught in another state for over 20 years, She has a masters degree and at the end of four years in Walton schools she was terminated with no explanation. She taught first grade so her kids weren't subject to F-Cat but her classes had excellent FAIR scores. She also had excellent evaluations. That was in 2010. That school year the district hired 66 teachers. I also have spoken to other experienced teachers who applied and I have documenation from the DOE that will confirm this information. The school district was also forced to send me some information that is 'public information' after stonewalling until the state interevened. I'd be happy to meet with anyone and show what I have. It's hard to argue with facts. BTW, my wife was replaced by a relatively inexperienced teacher from Washington County. Is it good public policy to hire out of county employees? We own two homes in Walton County and have paid taxes here for 30 years.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach

As of August 24, 2011, statewide, the percentage of teachers with masters degrees in K-12 was 32.18%. In Walton County it was 26.67%. In grades K-3 the state average was 26.32%, in Walton County 20.69%. This information came from the Florida Department of Education.

Blue_Mountain_Mike

Beach Crab
Jul 31, 2012
Right...but this doesn't show that more qualified teachers were passed over...these numbers say nothing of who actually applied for the positions. Just saying...

Blue_Mountain_Mike

Beach Crab
Jul 31, 2012
For your consideration.

Walton County School District (WCSD)has experienced the worst five funding years in its history; however, we have maintained excellent schools during these times. During these very difficult funding years, the school district has maintained an “A” district rating for six consecutive years and has been designated by the State Board of Education as a High Performing School District for five consecutive years. This distinction is only held by 5 out of 67 school districts in the state. Additionally, the graduation rate has increased 18% while Superintendent Anderson has been in office.

http://www.fldoe.org/board/meetings/2012_07_17/high.pdf

The High Performing School District status requires school districts to demonstrate improved student achievement, have no material weaknesses in their financial audit and meet Class-Size Reduction. Receiving this designation confirms Carlene Anderson can manage a budget while maintaining academic excellence, as well as, manage personnel required to meet class-size. Since 2007, we have seen our tax revenues fall approximately 15 million dollars. The state student base allocation has been reduced from the highest at $6,000 to the current allocation of $3,400 dropping our revenue by over $18 million. However during her term, Superintendent Anderson has not recommended closing schools, had massive layoffs, cut essential programs for students, cut art and music from the elementary programs, and has not removed school resource officers. In fact, Walton County student enrollment has grown every year during her terms in office. WCSD has built new schools or added on to existing schools every year she has been in office; using the pay-as-you go model to reduce the tax burden on future generations. All of this has been accomplished with a declining budget.

Not to mention that Walton County accomplishes all of this while overcoming greater poverty levels than found in other counties. http://www.waltonsun.com/news/walton-9353-consider-poverty.html
With 37 years in the Walton County School District, almost eight as superintendent, Mrs. Anderson has proven she is on the right track. However, it isn’t finished, yet. Walton County School District needs her to get through the next few years of continued difficult budgeting and the new legislative requirements to increase student achievement. In other words, she knows how to “do more with less and do it better than before”. A newly elected superintendent would have a significant learning curve that would set the district back and seriously jeopardize student achievement at a time when the bar is being raised, yet again, and new standards and assessments are being mandated. Walton County Schools cannot afford inexperience.

The wheel is working just fine. I support Carlene Anderson.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Of course public schools have faced challenges. Obviously revenues dropped severely after the meltdown. However, there is a people factor to consider. Some of us believe that firing good people to hire cheaper ones is unethical. And it's also bad public policy to dismiss good performing teachers when indeed no personnel cuts are called for. I'm sure Mrs. Anderson will be re-elected. She certainly has the big developer money and political backers like Senator Gaetz behind her. And the candidate with the most funding usually wins.