WCSD Superintendent Race

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by beachbums77, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ricky bobby

ricky bobby Banned

A big issue for a lot of people is the concept of ethics, which in my mind is simply doing the right thing. Right and wrong seems to be lost when elected officials operate in a gray area that suggests that if it's legal in the strictest sense, it's ethical. Personally, I don't think it's ethical for a superintendent to take campaign contributions from employees of the school district or shafting good teachers because they're being paid too much. I also don't think it's right for elected officials to take thousands of dollars from a single contributor who owns or controls dozens of companies and entities that each contribute $500. If anyone here thinks otherwise Yo momma and daddy were a lot different from mine.

2. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

Jbarg, I definitely agree that parents need to be involved in every level of their child's education. I think that goes beyond being a room mother or PTO member, though those are both important activities. I think raising public awareness, rallying parents for change, lobbying elected officials, etc. are also ways in which we support our children's education.

3. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

Parent involvement is good. The problem with the current regime is that parent involvement isn't solicited. In the rear of the board room at the Tivoli complex there's a lifesize likeness of a man with the words, "It's Miller's way or the Highway". These days it's "It's Carlene's way or the highway".

4. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

I suggest we show Carlene the highway. Money is not the only reason she wins. Apathy is her real campaign manager.

5. Daydream Believer

Daydream Believer Beach Comber

I am a parent who is friends, neighbors, and church members with many teachers. From what I hear, Carlene’s campaign manager is intimidation. Teachers are too scared to speak out against her in public, and believe you me, they have LOTS to say. I am shocked and appalled at the vindictive, revengeful actions that Carlene takes. Because of these actions, teachers are too scared to campaign against her, put a sign for Ragle in their yard, tell their first hand stories, etc. This week, my daughter had to go to an anti-bullying assembly. Perhaps it would be beneficial for Carlene to do the same. This is America. “The Dictator” should be a funny movie that we rent from RedBox, not the daily reality with which teachers live their lives!!!!!

6. 30ARosie

30ARosie Beach Comber

Has anyone seen all the new campaign signs for Rosemary Ragle? Someone might need to tell her that ALL of her signs are out of compliance (illegal) for not having the campaign disclaimer on them, wouldn't want someone to turn her in.

7. Rosemary Ragle

Rosemary Ragle Beach Comber

Majority?

Jdarg,

Yes, the majority of 2nd graders can read. What about the remaining 49 percent?

Seaside Neighborhood School can boast that only 13 percent of its students are not reading on grade level or above, only 4 percent are behind in math, and 3 percent behind in writing. All of our schools do not have a majority of students reading on grade level.

(Before I continue, I hope that you read Brett Beck's article in last week's Walton Sun. If not, I posted a link to the site on my Facebook and website campaign accounts. It is most appropriate for this discussion.)

Three of our "A" schools did show adequate yearly progress. The other "A" schools did not.

(High school grades have yet to be published. Reports are found on fldoe.org.)

Involvement of parents and community was cited by the 2012 accreditation team as an area to be addressed through corrective action for WCSD. The accreditation report noted discontent in our schools by stakeholders and a lack of equity demonstrated among schools at the district level.

Leadership must recognize weaknesses for there to be positive change. A+ sounds good, but is the grade reality?

Rosemary Ragle

8. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

I suspect that a lot of residents of the county are like me......Not in the habit of looking at campaign signs on my hands and knees and reading the fine print. But I'm sure the Carlene Anderson cheerleading squad will report this heinous offense.

9. meggiemom

meggiemom Beach Lover

How childish to post such silliness. Would you also report a child for opening a lemonaid stand without the proper licenses and permits?

10. Thrilling

Thrilling Beach Comber

We would expect that a child might not know the rules related to running for a political office, but an adult surely should. Seriously... If someone running for office wants people to vote for them, the very least they can do is follow some very simple campaign rules... It isn't that complicated. I would hate to see this candidate negotiate the complexities of the federal & local mandates imposed upon a district if she's unable to follow a few specific & clear campaign guidelines. The 'child running a lemonade stand' analogy is appreciated, but it doesn't work in this circumstance.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
  11. Daydream Believer

Daydream Believer Beach Comber

Stellablue1, you are obviously a Carlene supporter. I actually like the fact that Ragle is not a politician and that this is not old hat to her as it is to you.

12. Thrilling

Thrilling Beach Comber

I appreciate your thoughts. It isn't old hat to me, and it wouldn't matter who I supported, I would feel the same way. Now that Ms. Ragle is a politician she will need to follow the campaign guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  13. Independent Thinker

Independent Thinker Beach Lover

It sounds like Carlene Anderson's best friend here may be a little worried about the election. Getting down and inspecting the fine print on a sign, that sounds desperate to find something negative to say. Did you call Carlene and let her know this 30aRosie, or did she call you and tell you to post this groundbreaking revelation ?

14. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
  15. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

This and 30A(an insult to 30A)Rosie's response are cheap shots. You don't know if it was an error by the printer or some other valid reason. I can assure you one thing. With such utterly vapid posts by supporters rather than telling me what Ms. Anderson has done to help children and parents, you can be assured that this parent with great grandchildren, will be voting not to continue the present administration.

16. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

The Carlene cheerleaders can quit fretting. I just observed a man in a white Chevy Suburban removing Mrs. Ragle's signs. The last three of the tag # was seven Juliet Echo.

17. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Sharing information and opinions is very valuable. Kindness and respect adds power to one's voice, always. The community forum is for everyone so please use it respectfully.

18. Rosemary Ragle

Rosemary Ragle Beach Comber

Thanks, Andy and Daydream Believer, for giving me the benefit of doubt. I have no excuse.

It was my ignorance for failing to specify the verbiage rather than asking for the customary political disclaimer. I assumed that a company that specializes in products for political campaigns would have included it. (Yes, I know it is dangerous to ASSUME. Surely, this expensive lesson will be indelibly printed in my mind.) I also should not have rushed the order.

We are working diligently to correct my mistake. Thanks to the wonderful gentleman in the white Suburban. Sounds like my knight in shining armor. I'll check his license plate when he gets home.

Rosemary

19. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

I'm amazed that anyone would stop their vehicle to read the fine print on a campaign sign. But for those who do take the time to indulge in such activities and are concerned about obeying laws, I understand that in Miami, it's illegal to give a lighted cigarette to a dog or cat.

20. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

I appreciate Ms. Ragle acknowledging the mistake. This shows leadership and responsibility that is sorely lacking in our current leaders.

As a concerned parent, I have emailed Ms. Anderson multiple times asking for her views on educational issues important to me. To date, I have not received a response from her or anyone in educational leadership in the county. Though new to the county, I am not new to politics. I understand that the best chance to get something (even an email returned) is during an election. After the election, if she wins, I have no doubt she will be missing in action as it relates to responding to parental concerns. I do not know either candidate. I just know our children deserve better than what they are currently getting. If that means Ms. Anderson is willing to raise her game, great. If not, shame on the voters for deciding our children are not important enough to take 20 minutes out of one day every four years to actually vote.