• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ricky bobby

Banned
Aug 24, 2011
Tallahassee, Fl
A big issue for a lot of people is the concept of ethics, which in my mind is simply doing the right thing. Right and wrong seems to be lost when elected officials operate in a gray area that suggests that if it's legal in the strictest sense, it's ethical. Personally, I don't think it's ethical for a superintendent to take campaign contributions from employees of the school district or shafting good teachers because they're being paid too much. I also don't think it's right for elected officials to take thousands of dollars from a single contributor who owns or controls dozens of companies and entities that each contribute $500. If anyone here thinks otherwise Yo momma and daddy were a lot different from mine.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Jbarg, I definitely agree that parents need to be involved in every level of their child's education. I think that goes beyond being a room mother or PTO member, though those are both important activities. I think raising public awareness, rallying parents for change, lobbying elected officials, etc. are also ways in which we support our children's education.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Parent involvement is good. The problem with the current regime is that parent involvement isn't solicited. In the rear of the board room at the Tivoli complex there's a lifesize likeness of a man with the words, "It's Miller's way or the Highway". These days it's "It's Carlene's way or the highway".

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I suggest we show Carlene the highway. Money is not the only reason she wins. Apathy is her real campaign manager.

Daydream Believer

Beach Comber
Aug 4, 2012
I am a parent who is friends, neighbors, and church members with many teachers. From what I hear, Carlene’s campaign manager is intimidation. Teachers are too scared to speak out against her in public, and believe you me, they have LOTS to say. I am shocked and appalled at the vindictive, revengeful actions that Carlene takes. Because of these actions, teachers are too scared to campaign against her, put a sign for Ragle in their yard, tell their first hand stories, etc. This week, my daughter had to go to an anti-bullying assembly. Perhaps it would be beneficial for Carlene to do the same. This is America. “The Dictator” should be a funny movie that we rent from RedBox, not the daily reality with which teachers live their lives!!!!!

30ARosie

Beach Comber
Aug 8, 2008
Rosemary Beach
Has anyone seen all the new campaign signs for Rosemary Ragle? Someone might need to tell her that ALL of her signs are out of compliance (illegal) for not having the campaign disclaimer on them, wouldn't want someone to turn her in.

Rosemary Ragle

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
Majority?

Jdarg,

Yes, the majority of 2nd graders can read. What about the remaining 49 percent?

Seaside Neighborhood School can boast that only 13 percent of its students are not reading on grade level or above, only 4 percent are behind in math, and 3 percent behind in writing. All of our schools do not have a majority of students reading on grade level.

(Before I continue, I hope that you read Brett Beck's article in last week's Walton Sun. If not, I posted a link to the site on my Facebook and website campaign accounts. It is most appropriate for this discussion.)

Three of our "A" schools did show adequate yearly progress. The other "A" schools did not.

(High school grades have yet to be published. Reports are found on fldoe.org.)

Involvement of parents and community was cited by the 2012 accreditation team as an area to be addressed through corrective action for WCSD. The accreditation report noted discontent in our schools by stakeholders and a lack of equity demonstrated among schools at the district level.

Leadership must recognize weaknesses for there to be positive change. A+ sounds good, but is the grade reality?

Rosemary Ragle

I think it is important to remember that the majority of the kids going into second grade CAN read, and like schools everywhere, there are kids, for a variety of reasons (school, parents, the kids themselves) who move through the grade levels under performing. It is sad, but it happens, and not just here. Watch the broad brush- I can't speak for NoWal, but there are many good things happening in the South Walton schools.

I remember when our 19 year old was in elementary school, and the school issues a challenge to the parents- What are YOU doing to enhance/enrich/support your child's school, education, and community? I never forgot it.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Has anyone seen all the new campaign signs for Rosemary Ragle? Someone might need to tell her that ALL of her signs are out of compliance (illegal) for not having the campaign disclaimer on them, wouldn't want someone to turn her in.

I suspect that a lot of residents of the county are like me......Not in the habit of looking at campaign signs on my hands and knees and reading the fine print. But I'm sure the Carlene Anderson cheerleading squad will report this heinous offense.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton

How childish to post such silliness. Would you also report a child for opening a lemonaid stand without the proper licenses and permits?

Thrilling

Beach Comber
Aug 24, 2012
How childish to post such silliness. Would you also report a child for opening a lemonaid stand without the proper licenses and permits?

We would expect that a child might not know the rules related to running for a political office, but an adult surely should. Seriously... If someone running for office wants people to vote for them, the very least they can do is follow some very simple campaign rules... It isn't that complicated. I would hate to see this candidate negotiate the complexities of the federal & local mandates imposed upon a district if she's unable to follow a few specific & clear campaign guidelines. The 'child running a lemonade stand' analogy is appreciated, but it doesn't work in this circumstance.

Last edited by a moderator: